[Q] Stuck on cyanoboot bootloader screen

Search This thread

xXErebuS

Aug 1, 2013
So I have tried everything getting this thing (Nook 16GB Tablet) to work (boot off SD [class 4 8gb Sandisk] card into CM10.X+)

I have followed the directions to a T (several several times) and everytime I turn on my Nook it goes to the cyanoboot screen and goes to (SDC) LOADING BOOT and is stuck there, or if I hold the N before it get to it it will allow me to choose my boot option (I've tried the SDC recovery to use automatic partition zip provided on iamafanof's wordpress site; please note I have tried it with manually partitioning, and just leaving image as is and same results).

I have did a complete factory restore via the repart.img method, tried different SDC image versions, bought a new SD card just to make sure it wasn't the card.

The weird thing is I can create a CM7 SD card and it loads fine (so I don't think its the SD Card).

I am at witts end with this; I work in technology as a career (on a bit diff side) and this thing is driving me nuts not working.

I have tried booting tethered as well; the only thing that may be different is that I bought this used and it has an aftermarked (Griffin) charger.

What really sucks was I was originally thought I bought a NC b/c I heard it was easier to create a bootable SDC and found out I had a microphone :confused:

Can someone recommend a next approach? The only other thing I could think of was to try the alt boot files on "iamafanof" wordpress site but the links are dead.

I don't care if its 10.1 or 10; just really interested in Android 4.0 period.

Also this Nook was 1.4.3 when I first tried to boot from SD; since then I went through process above and now is 1.4.0 factory reset.

I have looked through the forums EVERYWHERE and I decided to join here to get help - thanks in advance!

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
I hdon't know why this happens, but just to be clear, have you tried Iamafanof's ready-made CM10 bootbale sd? http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/cm10-0-jellybean-sdcard-img-for-nook-tablet/

If you decide to install CM10 internally this image can be used as a bootable CWM card even if you don't want to run CM10 from it.

And FWIW, why does it suck that you got a Tablet instead of a NC? The Tablet is so much better, and certainly not any harder to mod.

xXErebuS

Aug 1, 2013
I hdon't know why this happens, but just to be clear, have you tried Iamafanof's ready-made CM10 bootbale sd? Removed link per 10 post policy

If you decide to install CM10 internally this image can be used as a bootable CWM card even if you don't want to run CM10 from it.

And FWIW, why does it suck that you got a Tablet instead of a NC? The Tablet is so much better, and certainly not any harder to mod.

Well guess it doesn't suck considering I payed 50 for a better tablet, I am just annoyed with it at this point. Yes I did, I formatted a SDC and burned that image to it after unzipping ( cm-10-20121231-NOOKTABLET-acclaim-HD-SDC-img.rar ) as well as other versions and they don't work even if I don't mess with partition tables. My only guess is that the boot files in the boot 1st partition of the image aren't compatible with my device which could be explained since I'm sure mine is a late model ( but why does CW7 work ? )

At this point I wonder if its possible to use the CW7 SDC and just copy gapps and the 10.1 Rom over. I'm extremely new at this so hopefully that isn't a stupid idea.

I do want to stay away from rooting internal for various reasons.

Any ideas ?

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
So I have tried everything getting this thing (Nook 16GB Tablet) to work (boot off SD [class 4 8gb Sandisk] card into CM10.X+)

I have followed the directions to a T (several several times) and everytime I turn on my Nook it goes to the cyanoboot screen and goes to (SDC) LOADING BOOT and is stuck there,
I have looked through the forums EVERYWHERE and I decided to join here to get help - thanks in advance!
Which direction and which ROM zip file did you try to use?

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Yes I did, I formatted a SDC and burned that image to it after unzipping ( cm-10-20121231-NOOKTABLET-acclaim-HD-SDC-img.rar ) as well as other versions and they don't work even if I don't mess with partition tables. My only guess is that the boot files in the boot 1st partition of the image aren't compatible with my device which could be explained since I'm sure mine is a late model ( but why does CW7 work ? )

At this point I wonder if its possible to use the CW7 SDC and just copy gapps and the 10.1 Rom over. I'm extremely new at this so hopefully that isn't a stupid idea.

I do want to stay away from rooting internal for various reasons.

Any ideas ?
I'd suggest you try flashing flash_kernel_acclaim_30MAR2013_HD_SDC.zip at http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/cm10-1-jellybean-android-4-2-2-for-nook-tablet-0218/ (under heading "Flash this if your NT doesn’t boot newer kernel" in SDC section).

xXErebuS

Aug 1, 2013
I'd suggest you try flashing flash_kernel_acclaim_30MAR2013_HD_SDC.zip at [(under heading "Flash this if your NT doesn’t boot newer kernel" in SDC section).

That's for if your doing the internal root though right ? I don't want to do that. I listed above one of the exact zip files I tried, I've tried several of them ( the pre done SDC images). And none of them will boot past cynogenmod .

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
That's for if your doing the internal root though right ? I don't want to do that. I listed above one of the exact zip files I tried, I've tried several of them ( the pre done SDC images). And none of them will boot past cynogenmod .
The version of the kernel fix that I referenced is for SD-based ROM (the file name contains the "SDC" string).

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using XDA Premium HD app

xXErebuS

Aug 1, 2013
The version of the kernel fix that I referenced is for SD-based ROM (the file name contains the "SDC" string).

Sent from my Barnes & Noble Nook HD+ using XDA Premium HD app

Ok I now see it (flash_kernel_acclaim_30MAR2013_HD_SDC.zip) but how do I flash it if I can't boot into SDC Recovery from the Cynogenmod screen? Does it modify internal ROM - can I put it on a blank SD Card or on the CM7 and go into recovery?

Sorry if this is a noob question.

xXErebuS

Aug 1, 2013
Well I've now tried it manually > xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2098419

and I get stuck at the same place (booting into SDC Recovery in steps).

I have ruled out it being the SD card (unless I some how managed to get two bad ones that still boot into CM7).

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011

xXErebuS

Aug 1, 2013
Did you extract and copy to SD the two files boot.img and recovery.img as prescribed in step #6 of ]

Yes I did. I have another larger flash drive coming in the mail, I do not think its the flash drive though. No one else has ever had this issue? CM7 works fine, I may try to boot into CM9 later this weekend.

Just to clarify I have done manual method and burned image, they boot to the cynogenmod boot menu and if I pick SDC anything it just hangs there.

I almost want to say I don't think it's cynogenmod bc I can choose internal boot from it and it boots into nook fine

asawi

Oct 1, 2012
I almost want to say I don't think it's cynogenmod bc I can choose internal boot from it and it boots into nook fine

This so odd! It seams like there is something wrong woth the boot section on your sd, but I don't see how that could be the problem if indeed you have tried ready-made images that we know work for "everyone else"!

Clutching at straws here, but have you tried Iamafanof's readymade CM10.1 image as well? http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013...-1-jellybean-sdcard-img-for-nook-tablet-0110/ (I'm guessing you have, but like I said, clutching at straws...)

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Yes I did. I have another larger flash drive coming in the mail, I do not think its the flash drive though. No one else has ever had this issue? CM7 works fine, I may try to boot into CM9 later this weekend.

Just to clarify I have done manual method and burned image, they boot to the cynogenmod boot menu and if I pick SDC anything it just hangs there.

If you pick SDC Recovery from Cyanoboot menu it should say "loading SDC recovery" but it will take some time (up to between 1-2 min) before the CWM menu appears. Same thing with SDC Boot: it will take a bit of time before you see its boot animation. But neither should not take more than a couple of minutes to appear.

Also, for the manual method I'd suggest checking to make sure that boot.img and recovery.img on the SDcard /boot partition are not corrupted in the process of copying them to SDcard.

xXErebuS

Aug 1, 2013
This so odd! It seams like there is something wrong woth the boot section on your sd, but I don't see how that could be the problem if indeed you have tried ready-made images that we know work for "everyone else"!

Clutching at straws here, but have you tried Iamafanof's readymade CM10.1 image as well? http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013...-1-jellybean-sdcard-img-for-nook-tablet-0110/ (I'm guessing you have, but like I said, clutching at straws...)

I am about 95% sure I have; I will try it again just to make sure; I tried several different versions of the image for 10.0 and 10.1 as well as the manual methods for both thinking it may be the build.

I will try to boot CM9.X and see if it works since 7 works. Really strange that no one else seems to have the issue.

In addition, I have left it well over 1-2 minutes at the cynogenmod screen and it never boots into CWM or the image (depending on boot option I pick).

xXErebuS

Aug 1, 2013
So quick update.

I tried building a CM9 card and I got Cynogenmod to boot into SDC recovery (maybe I can use the same boot.img file?) However when trying to boot into SDC (after installing gapps.zip / ROM.zip) it reboots and boots into the normal INT nook.

Granite I may have messed something up with the process since I only did it once; but atleast I got past Cynogenmod screen.

Followed these directions and used these files:

http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/how-to-guide-bootable-cm7cm9cm10-sdcard-for-nook-tablet/

spydergt

Aug 11, 2009
houston
ive had similar issues , one thing that hit me was that my downloads were incomplete . when you download the images of cm 10.X verify the file size vs the download page stated size and make sure that your downloads are complete. also i would try re downloading them all over again thats what i had to do , and follow the instructions to the dot but give us a link so we can see which ones your reading too , ive learned alot in the past three weeks of non stop hacking and modding on my tablet, its bricked itself three times so far and ive been forced to un brick it ,

the reason why i said that is , sometimes i get so worked up and over whelmed, take a five minuet break and go to the fridge and grab a drink and dont think about this for five minuets , clear your head and calm down then look back at the work you have already completed and examine it step by step fresh , you prob just missed one little detail ,

"it reboots and boots into the normal INT nook. "

if upon reboot it goes to nook , hold power button until its off , then hit power to turn it on , once N shows up hit the N button on the tablet if you have CWM installed to internal , this is like a short cut key to force it to boot to sdc , OR with tablet completely powered off plug in charger cable , it should turn tablet on ,and with cable inserted it should boot to sd card first , if it takes a while then goes to nook OS your sd card is incorrect ,

checked your link this isnt the one i used , i used this link

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2056626 yes its for 10.0 but once its installed internally you can connect to wifi and update to 10.1.2 4.2.2 in software on device , just remember to get the right Gapps before hand

forwarning , dont play with the touch screen firmware editor without reading , if you do pm me ill tell you how i crash coursed through that and how to fix it once you break that too lols 10 point is nice though

SD card version works nice too

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2098419

Last edited: