• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Tab A questions

Search This thread

rogerperk

Aug 11, 2010
North Carolina
Great! Got the new Tab A yesterday and I have some questions. And OF COURSE there is no manual available and OF COURSE the tech support folks don't have a clue. Here's my questions:

• It says I can have the device come on when I open my tab cover. Doesn't work.
  • The lights on the bottom 2 keys do not light. Tech Support says it'll take a factory reset. On a device less than 24 hrs out of the box.
  • The left bottom key used to be the menu key. Now it opens multiple old pages. Handy but how do I access menu options now?
Little things like this... Or maybe this is all associated with Lollipop? No idea because no manual and ignorant support personnel.

SamsungSupport

May 2, 2013
manuals, soft-keys, and more...

Edit: Apologies on the lack of clickable links, I am currently blocked from posting links until I reach 10 posts

Great! Got the new Tab A yesterday and I have some questions. And OF COURSE there is no manual available and OF COURSE the tech support folks don't have a clue. Here's my questions:

• The lights on the bottom 2 keys do not light. Tech Support says it'll take a factory reset. On a device less than 24 hrs out of the box.
  • The left bottom key used to be the menu key. Now it opens multiple old pages. Handy but how do I access menu options now?
Little things like this... Or maybe this is all associated with Lollipop? No idea because no manual and ignorant support personnel.

Hello rogerperk, I'm truly sorry about the support you experienced but I'm here hoping to make it right.
Please see my answers below to your questions/concerns to hopefully clear some of these up.
Should you run into any follow-up questions, I encourage you reach out to our social media team on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ and we'd be more than happy to help!

Regards,
SamsungJohn

twitter.com/samsungjohn
facebook.com/samsungsupport
twitter.com/samsungsupport
plus.google.com/+samsungsupportusa

• Not sure if you have the 8.0" or 9.7" version, so I have provided both PDF links to the user manuals:
    - SM-T350 Wi-Fi Tab A 8.0 - samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SM-T350NZBAXAR
    - SM-T550 Wi-Fi Tab A 9.7 - samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SM-T550NZAAXAR
    [Note: Click "Manuals & Downloads" then "See More" for PDF link]
  • For the cover: I would verify that the magnetic parts of the cover are lining up, and perhaps repositioning them by taking the cover off/on. Another suggestion is to go into Settings > System > Accessories > and toggle "Automatic unlock" (turn it off, then back on).
    Finally, I would also try a simple reboot and Safe Mode at worst case scenario (please note that App Cache and Data may be reset with Safe Mode, so use this step as a last resort).
  • Soft Keys: As with most of tablets in the 'Tab' series this does not light up by design.
    (We usually ask customers to verify Power Saving mode is disabled but this is not applicable for this device.)
  • In regards to the Menu key: This is a concept change to match the changes in the Android UI. I believe with Kit Kat you could either long press the Recent Apps (fka Menu Key) or select the "More" or "..." option on the screen. However with this Tab A since it has Lollipop, it would be selecting the "MORE" button (usually top right) or in certain apps the circle action button (usually bottom right).

InGearX

Oct 7, 2014
This is a step back
: /

Some older apps rely on hardware menu key..

So there must be some work around to access it
: /
Help

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

one solution:

> go to settings, personal, accessibility, dexterity and interaction, assistant menu, turn it on and while in the app needing the menu, press the assistant button, scroll to the more options button and that will bring up the menu.

Robin M

Oct 13, 2010
SE Pennsylvania
On my Galaxy Tab S3 the app "Galaxy Button Lights 2" resolved the problem. But I tried to install that app on my wife's 8" Tab A, and it did not appear in the Play store, which usually means that its not compatible with the device.

FJ Thomas

Mar 8, 2018
I literally searched for hours trying to find out if the new Galaxy Tab A 8 I just bought was defective because the soft keys did not light up. This was very helpful thank you for actually providing an answer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    manuals, soft-keys, and more...

Edit: Apologies on the lack of clickable links, I am currently blocked from posting links until I reach 10 posts

Hello rogerperk, I'm truly sorry about the support you experienced but I'm here hoping to make it right.
    Please see my answers below to your questions/concerns to hopefully clear some of these up.
    Should you run into any follow-up questions, I encourage you reach out to our social media team on Facebook, Twitter, or Google+ and we'd be more than happy to help!

Regards,
    SamsungJohn

twitter.com/samsungjohn
    facebook.com/samsungsupport
    twitter.com/samsungsupport
    plus.google.com/+samsungsupportusa

• Not sure if you have the 8.0" or 9.7" version, so I have provided both PDF links to the user manuals:
      - SM-T350 Wi-Fi Tab A 8.0 - samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SM-T350NZBAXAR
      - SM-T550 Wi-Fi Tab A 9.7 - samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SM-T550NZAAXAR
      [Note: Click "Manuals & Downloads" then "See More" for PDF link]
    • For the cover: I would verify that the magnetic parts of the cover are lining up, and perhaps repositioning them by taking the cover off/on. Another suggestion is to go into Settings > System > Accessories > and toggle "Automatic unlock" (turn it off, then back on).
      Finally, I would also try a simple reboot and Safe Mode at worst case scenario (please note that App Cache and Data may be reset with Safe Mode, so use this step as a last resort).
    • Soft Keys: As with most of tablets in the 'Tab' series this does not light up by design.
      (We usually ask customers to verify Power Saving mode is disabled but this is not applicable for this device.)
    • In regards to the Menu key: This is a concept change to match the changes in the Android UI. I believe with Kit Kat you could either long press the Recent Apps (fka Menu Key) or select the "More" or "..." option on the screen. However with this Tab A since it has Lollipop, it would be selecting the "MORE" button (usually top right) or in certain apps the circle action button (usually bottom right).