[Q] Tab Pro 10.1, Tab S 8.4 or Ipad Air ?

Search This thread

nicasoft

Mar 15, 2012
Managua
www.nicagamerz.com
Hi,
I'm going back and forth with this..
I have a budget around $400 to $450... and I basically want to use the table as a replacement of the laptop for basic stuff ( browsing, FB, youtube, videos, movies, email, etc). I like how IOS look right now, my mom has an ipad retina display and look and feel good, but my budget allow me to but the 16gb one... and isn't enought since I'm planning to copy movies on the table and watch them... beside ipads doesnt allow me to watch movies on divx, xvid, mkv, etc... I had to converted to mp4 and thats a hazzle...

I was thinking on buying the Tab Pro 10.1 because of the size, the screen definition and the battery life... but now that the Tab S is around the corner I don't know what to do... I don't care about the fingerprint... the Super Amoled is a nice touch (I have a galaxy S4) but the screen on the Pro look good enought for me... the selling point for me is the extra GB of ram...I don't know if is really work it to pay extra for that GB of ram (assuming that I can go up to $500 for the galaxy S 10.5) or paying the same as the Pro 10.1 ($400 on amazon) for the Galaxy S 8.4 and downgrade the size of the screen...

What do you guys say? Ipad air ($450), Pro 10.5 ( $400), S 8.4 ($400) or S10.5 ($500). Paying an extra $100 for 1GB of ram seem pricy to me if the feeling and performance is similar of the 2gb pro 10.1.... but I don't know if the cost/benefit is really good?

aybesea69

Dec 2, 2012
I bought a Tab Pro 10.1. It's not perfect, but I'm pretty happy. Obviously it's what I would do, since it's what I did. Just make sure Tha at you are comfortable doing a root... Of course that's the case with any android device.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

al2fast

Dec 17, 2010
Well, you could save yourself some money by buying the iPad as a refurb straight from apple. It comes down to the ecosystem and os that you prefer. Is ios nice? Sure. But does it work for you? Do you struggle with the 2gb of ram in your phone today? If not then I wouldn't worry about the 2 vs 3gb of ram. If you're worried about ram, I'm pretty sure iPad air only has 1gb.

I've tried 2 different ipads and I keep coming back to android. I just started using a tab 8.4 today and it's smooth. If you keep a ton of apps open at once then it may get laggy, but I'd imagine the iPad would have the same issues. The iPad air has what seems limitless keyboards, cases...while there are significantly less for the tab pro. I think the s line is going to have Samsung accessories.

Don't forget the real file browser, micro sd, USB support, and vast selection of keyboards on androids. You can't really go wrong with any of them, all nice devices. Pick the he one that fits your budget and hits your biggest priorities.

dwd3885

May 20, 2010
I have a tab pro 8.4 and it is a really good tablet. I am considering getting the pro 10.5. I've also thought about an iPad air too, so I am in a similar situation. I do love the fact that the iPad has a plethora of keyboard case options. Supposedly with the S Series Samsung is going to get more Keyboard cases. Logitech has already announced one for the 10.5.

I am probably going to go with the pro 10.5. If you have a micro SD card it is really simple to expand the storage in which the iPad would not be able to do. If you already have purchased apps on your Android phone, it's much easier just to use an Android tablet then using an iPad and paying more money for apps you already have.

That's how I work things out in my head anyway.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

mraines

Apr 14, 2014
I am a long time user of apple , I think apple lost me after the 4S, the closed ecosystem is terrible in my view. So I switched to nexus 5 and never looked back. On tablet I bought the tab 8.4 , and put aside my iPad retina . I last week upgrade it to iOS 8 , and have to say I'm disappointed and not impressed . so I'm still loyal to my macbook on the PC side. But as far as tablet and phone no question in my mind that you get better value and better ecosystem in an android device. I also didn't root my tab, only put on it Google now lquncher and I love it , love the density and sharpness of the screen

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: mongonexus

DannyBiker

Jul 10, 2010
Brussels
Jumping in the thread :

So I got 7 and 10.1 tablets in the past. They both have their strengths and weaknesses but I would like to have your opinions on the 8.4/10.1 Pro more specifically.

By default, I'd go with the 10.1 for the bigger screen and battery especially as it seems quite light, especially in comparison to my past 10.1 devices.

However, the 8.4 seems to have more ROM support and looks more powerful. Plus, the 8.4 format allows a better grip with one hand. But I'm afraid the battery won't hold as much as I want to.

So, here my questions :
- Is there any work done on CM11 for the 10.1 ?
- How comfortable is the 10.1 to hold ?
- Is the 8.4 really much more powerful and snappy ?

Thanks !

crpalmer

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 25, 2011
Jumping in the thread :

So I got 7 and 10.1 tablets in the past. They both have their strengths and weaknesses but I would like to have your opinions on the 8.4/10.1 Pro more specifically.

By default, I'd go with the 10.1 for the bigger screen and battery especially as it seems quite light, especially in comparison to my past 10.1 devices.

However, the 8.4 seems to have more ROM support and looks more powerful. Plus, the 8.4 format allows a better grip with one hand. But I'm afraid the battery won't hold as much as I want to.

So, here my questions :
- Is there any work done on CM11 for the 10.1 ?
- How comfortable is the 10.1 to hold ?
- Is the 8.4 really much more powerful and snappy ?

Thanks !

You need to be more specific on the 10.1... For the 10.1 LTE (sm-t525 aka picassolte) CM11 is coming along nicely but for the WiFi only 10.1 (sm-t520) there is no known work on it for CM11.

DannyBiker

Jul 10, 2010
Brussels
I was thinking about the Wifi version, sorry. I forgot that the LTE model is also Snapdragon and benefits, I guess, of the work done on the 8.4.

Last edited:

DannyBiker

Jul 10, 2010
Brussels
Acutally, I need my tablet for some productivity as well. Mostly, taking meeting notes on the go. Is the 8.4 screen big enough in landscape to do so ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am a long time user of apple , I think apple lost me after the 4S, the closed ecosystem is terrible in my view. So I switched to nexus 5 and never looked back. On tablet I bought the tab 8.4 , and put aside my iPad retina . I last week upgrade it to iOS 8 , and have to say I'm disappointed and not impressed . so I'm still loyal to my macbook on the PC side. But as far as tablet and phone no question in my mind that you get better value and better ecosystem in an android device. I also didn't root my tab, only put on it Google now lquncher and I love it , love the density and sharpness of the screen

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app