[Q] Terminal Emulator....Help??? Anyone???

Search This thread

hockeyfamily737

Apr 3, 2011
Connecticut
I have wiped and restored more times tonight than I can count....HELP!!!! I have a very lean rom. So lean it that it has no file explorer and I don't want to install gapps. All I want to do is install Titanium Backup (the .apk file is on the root of my SD card) with the terminal emulator and I'll be all set. I have had all different error messages, and I'm more confused now then when I started this adventure, 6+ hours ago. Any help would be great.

davidevan

Aug 16, 2010
West Lafayette, IN
I have wiped and restored more times tonight than I can count....HELP!!!! I have a very lean rom. So lean it that it has no file explorer and I don't want to install gapps. All I want to do is install Titanium Backup (the .apk file is on the root of my SD card) with the terminal emulator and I'll be all set. I have had all different error messages, and I'm more confused now then when I started this adventure, 6+ hours ago. Any help would be great.

Just download a file manager, (es fileexplorer, or root explorer) and install it that way. or if you have adb and all the drivers you need for it.
Put the .apk in the tools folder in the SDK
and go to it in a command prompt and type adb install titaniumbackup.apk..

Or whatever you apk is named.

if you need help, dont quote this, just send me a pm for help =]

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
(Posting this again for others reference all this is pulled from my previous post which you can find in my signature - "Terminal/adb shell commands")

Adb commands are completely different than terminal commands.
  • First enter "su" to get substitute user (the # sign)
  • Then enter "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system" to make the root r/w
  • to copy files use "cp" command
  • to move files use "mv" command
  • to remove files use "rm" command
  • to change file/dir permissions use "chmod"
  • to change directories use "cd" - "cd .." will bring you back one directory - "cd //" brings you back to root
  • to list files in the dir use "ls"
  • to read/mod/combine a file use "cat"
  • to edit a value use "echo"
  • to see running processes use "top"
  • to kill a process use "kill -9 PID#HERE"

ex) cp /sdcard/download/myapplication.apk /data/app/myapplication.apk

If you know any linux commands then you should know your way around terminal emulator. If you want i can give you more examples just let me know. Hope this helped :p

To answer your question OP, just follow my example. Except in your case it'd be something like this:
Code:
su
cp /sdcard/TitaniumBackup.apk /data/app/TitaniumBackup.apk
replace "titaniumbackup.apk" with the actual file name of your apk file.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

davidevan

Aug 16, 2010
West Lafayette, IN
(Posting this again for others reference all this is pulled from my previous post which you can find in my signature - "Terminal/adb shell commands")

• First enter "su" to get substitute user (the # sign)
  • Then enter "mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system" to make the root r/w
  • to copy files use "cp" command
  • to move files use "mv" command
  • to remove files use "rm" command
  • to change file/dir permissions use "chmod"
  • to change directories use "cd" - "cd .." will bring you back one directory - "cd //" brings you back to root
  • to list files in the dir use "ls"
  • to read/mod/combine a file use "cat"
  • to edit a value use "echo"
  • to see running processes use "top"
  • to kill a process use "kill -9 PID#HERE"

ex) cp /sdcard/download/myapplication.apk /data/app/myapplication.apk

If you know any linux commands then you should know your way around terminal emulator. If you want i can give you more examples just let me know. Hope this helped :p

To answer your question OP, just follow my example. Except in your case it'd be something like this:
Code:
su
cp /sdcard/TitaniumBackup.apk /data/app/TitaniumBackup.apk
replace "titaniumbackup.apk" with the actual file name of your apk file.

i know theyre different,i was getting a point across, in which if he cant get it too work, try adb. Even though errors with TE usually means youre not entering something correct

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
i know theyre different,i was getting a point across, in which if he cant get it too work, try adb. Even though errors with TE usually means youre not entering something correct
Yea they are. Besides, personally I'd do it the way you mentioned; either first using a filemanager (easiest imo) or via adb install ;)
Only reason I replied was in case there was a specific reason he'd only want to use terminal emulator and not adb or a FileMan

Edit: Oh I see what I think you're referring to, the line:
That was just directly copied from a post I made before something about wanting to "adb push" with TE, it had nothing to do with your response :p

hockeyfamily737

Apr 3, 2011
Connecticut
Thank you everyone. I need to use Terminal Emulator, because I'm not allowed to install the ADB drivers on my work computer, the ROM I want to use did not have a file manager packed in it and I don't want to install gapps to download one from the market. I simply want to install Titanium, so I can add a file manager and a couple of other select apps so as not to clutter up the system. As soon as I flash back to that rom, I'll try it the above mentioned way.

davidevan

Aug 16, 2010
West Lafayette, IN
Thank you everyone. I need to use Terminal Emulator, because I'm not allowed to install the ADB drivers on my work computer, the ROM I want to use did not have a file manager packed in it and I don't want to install gapps to download one from the market. I simply want to install Titanium, so I can add a file manager and a couple of other select apps so as not to clutter up the system. As soon as I flash back to that rom, I'll try it the above mentioned way.
Ah thats sucks bro, it come in handy now and then, Listen to this guy up here since he knows more about TE than I. Also a simple google "terminal emulator" command and it might add on to your comprehension.

And judt to get this outta of the way, in TE if you do type su <enter> you get #? if you dont #,you get acces denied; denied meaning youre not rooted. Meaning it cant find an su in the bin or xbin, rendering TE pointless. So make sure youre root

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeyfamily737

davidevan

Aug 16, 2010
West Lafayette, IN

btw click my thanks meter ;]
its the ony thing i have left lmao! :'(

Last edited:

davidevan

Aug 16, 2010
West Lafayette, IN
Ah thats sucks bro, it come in handy now and then, Listen to this guy up here since he knows more about TE than I. Also a simple google "terminal emulator" command and it might add on to your comprehension.

And judt to get this outta of the way, in TE if you do type su <enter> you get #? if you dont #,you get acces denied; denied meaning youre not rooted. Meaning it cant find an su in the bin or xbin, rendering TE pointless. So make sure youre root

and how is your computer not compatible with SDK. You dont have Windows, linux or Macc?

hockeyfamily737

Apr 3, 2011
Connecticut
and how is your computer not compatible with SDK. You dont have Windows, linux or Macc?

It's not an issue of compatibilty..... It's an issue of the IT people at work having our computers locked up so we can't install / uninstall anything from them. All I can do is transfer files from the pc to my sd. I don't have authorization to install the necessary drivers for my phone.

waffle_

Mar 7, 2011
Gainesville, FL
It's not an issue of compatibilty..... It's an issue of the IT people at work having our computers locked up so we can't install / uninstall anything from them. All I can do is transfer files from the pc to my sd. I don't have authorization to install the necessary drivers for my phone.

If you can transfer files from a computer to a device, then you should be able to take files from a USB drive and put them on the C drive of your computer.

hockeyfamily737

Apr 3, 2011
Connecticut
If you can transfer files from a computer to a device, then you should be able to take files from a USB drive and put them on the C drive of your computer.

To clarify.... Yes I can access my sd card from my computer. Yes I can transfer files between my sd card and my hard drive. However, when I try to install the ADB drivers to access the rom in my phone I get a little message that I'm not authorized to add / remove hardware or software from the computer....to please contact my IT administrator. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, maybe it's not. If I can learn to use this emulator though, it doesn't really matter. I have ADB on my computer at home if I really need it, I'm just not inclined to turn the computer at home on very often. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

laie1472

Feb 18, 2010
"
To clarify.... Yes I can access my sd card from my computer. Yes I can transfer files between my sd card and my hard drive. However, when I try to install the ADB drivers to access the rom in my phone I get a little message that I'm not authorized to add / remove hardware or software from the computer....to please contact my IT administrator. Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong, maybe it's not. If I can learn to use this emulator though, it doesn't really matter. I have ADB on my computer at home if I really need it, I'm just not inclined to turn the computer at home on very often. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Search the dev thread for my guide on how to install adb. Might do the job for your work computer. Or just hit my avatar and find the thread that way. If you do try it let me know if it works.

#Root/Hack_Mod-Always®

hockeyfamily737

Apr 3, 2011
Connecticut
"

Search the dev thread for my guide on how to install adb. Might do the job for your work computer. Or just hit my avatar and find the thread that way. If you do try it let me know if it works.

#Root/Hack_Mod-Always®

Sitll no good installing ADB at work, but I did get a good ADB workout at home this weekend rooting my son's Optimus......Wholy crap!!! Revert to old software, lose the lcd display, root with rage against the cage, push recovery to the phone, revert back to current version of software, lose root, and then re-root on current software with recovery already installed, what a process that was!!!! BTW.... Terminal Emulator commands worked perfect. Mistake I was making was trying to "push" from my SD card instead of "copy".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.