[Q] Travelling to India, will my US S3 work?

Search This thread

asanghamd

Feb 7, 2009
I have the T-mobile branded (T-999) Galaxy S3. It is rooted and I am running a custom rom (Frosty Jellybean). I got the unlock code from T-mobile because I told them I will be travelling abroad (to India). So my question is: Can I just get a prepaid sim card from a mobile carrier in India and stick it in my phone and then enter the unlock code and will it work just like normal? Does anyone know if this phone is compatible with 3G or 4G networks in India for internet access? Do I need to be running any specific "international" version of a ROM, or will my custom rom work? Any advice would be appreciated (or if you can direct me to where to find such info). And before you ask, yes I did attempt to search the forums, but I got the following message..."Search is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: jcbofkc

x1tyme

Dec 30, 2007
I have the T-mobile branded (T-999) Galaxy S3. It is rooted and I am running a custom rom (Frosty Jellybean). I got the unlock code from T-mobile because I told them I will be travelling abroad (to India). So my question is: Can I just get a prepaid sim card from a mobile carrier in India and stick it in my phone and then enter the unlock code and will it work just like normal? Does anyone know if this phone is compatible with 3G or 4G networks in India for internet access? Do I need to be running any specific "international" version of a ROM, or will my custom rom work? Any advice would be appreciated (or if you can direct me to where to find such info). And before you ask, yes I did attempt to search the forums, but I got the following message..."Search is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience."

Thanks in advance.

You're fine. If you want to use their 3/4g Network, make sure to grab APN setting

Reactions: asanghamd

Don_Perrignon

Jan 13, 2011
San Antonio, Texas, USA

Thanks in advance.

Use the code they have you on a TouchWiz ROM. Not sure if it works with a variant of AOSP. If you have a T-999, then you cannot install an international ROM - it still doesn't change the fact that your phone is a T999.

Look up the frequency bands for India and find out if this phone will work with it 4G bands there.

asanghamd

Feb 7, 2009
Ok, thanks for the info so far.
Originally Posted by bobolinko
How would one do that? He prolly does not know.....
Bobolinko, you are right that I don't know anything about APN settings. I did do a search and found how to access APN settings by going to Settings > more settings > mobile networks > access point names. Currently all I see there is the T-mobile US entry, I'm assuming you are saying that I need to hit the menu button and "+ New APN", then enter whatever info the mobile carrier in India gives me right?

Look up the frequency bands for India and find out if this phone will work with it 4G bands there.
I found India uses 900/1800 bands and 2100 for 3G. Minimal 4G coverage there currently. Specs for S3 show that it is compatible with all these frequencies so I assume I'm good to go if I can figure out the APN stuff.

Last edited:

x1tyme

Dec 30, 2007

Bobolinko, you are right that I don't know anything about APN settings. I did do a search and found how to access APN settings by going to Settings > more settings > mobile networks > access point names. Currently all I see there is the T-mobile US entry, I'm assuming you are saying that I need to hit the menu button and "+ New APN", then enter whatever info the mobile carrier in India gives me right?

I found India uses 900/1800 bands and 2100 for 3G. Minimal 4G coverage there currently. Specs for S3 show that it is compatible with all these frequencies so I assume I'm good to go if I can figure out the APN stuff.

Here's the APN setting for one major carrier in India "Airtel"

- Press Main
- Select Settings
- Select Wireless and Networks
- Select Mobile Networks
- Select Access point Names
- Delete all APN's in this section.
- Press Menu
- Press New APN
- Enter the follow settings one for General Data . The other for MMS

Name: IN - Airtel Web
APN: airtelgprs.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC:
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port:
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC:
MNC:
Authentication Type: PAP
APN Type: default, supl

PXT Messaging MMS:
Name: IN - Airtel MMS
APN: airtelmms.com
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://100.1.201.171:10021/mmsc
MMS Proxy: 100.1.201.172
MMS Port: 8799
MCC:
MNC:
APN Type: mms

Google death is the answer for most questions :). Have fun...love Mumbai

jcbofkc

Feb 16, 2008
Kansas City
I gave a thanks because I will be in India in May. I build record centers. Nice info to start with. Hope some others chime in. OP. Thanks for bringing this up.

bikrame

Jun 10, 2010
New York City
I suggest you go complete stock . I send my old s2 with custom rom to my country nepal and later they have to pay to swith to stock rom for some continuous error becoz my brother dont know how to do it. So be in stock .

dito33

Jul 13, 2010
When I travel to Europe every year all I do is just put local provider sim card and works every time. All bi do is my phone needs to be unlock and never mess with apn. I use various phones like photon, blackberry, dumb phones, my touch etc.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

asanghamd

Feb 7, 2009
MCC field must be 3 digits

- Press Main
- Select Settings
- Select Mobile Networks
- Press Menu
- Press New APN

Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC:
MMS Proxy:
MMS Port:
MCC:
MNC:

PXT Messaging MMS:
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MCC:
MNC:

Thank you so much for the above information. I'm finally getting ready to leave for my trip tomorrow and I tried entering the APN information as you described above. When I try to save it, it tells me "MCC field must be 3 digits" and won't let me save. Can you offer anymore advice?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

- Press Main
    - Select Settings
    - Select Mobile Networks
    - Press Menu
    - Press New APN

Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MMSC:
    MMS Proxy:
    MMS Port:
    MCC:
    MNC:

PXT Messaging MMS:
    Proxy:
    Port:
    Username:
    Password:
    Server:
    MCC:
    MNC:

Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance.

You're fine. If you want to use their 3/4g Network, make sure to grab APN setting

Im sure if he doesn't know, he will do a quick search of the forums and find out just like you or I would ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium