[Q] Truecrypt port to Android

Search This thread

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
Anyone here can port TRUE CRYPT to Android? I am ready to donate if anyone can do this.

Even a basic program that can encrypt and decrypt SD card, at least the external SD card would be acceptable. This way we can be assured that data on the external SD card is secure, and store documents on that.

Reactions: dbjc

Lee1733

Dec 11, 2006
I looked for something along the same lines for a while, tried every app I could find on the market that was related, but none of them came anywhere near truecrypt's functionality.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate.
Current rom: Perception b8

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
Agreed. If anyone could get an app that could atleast encrypt the whole external card, I'm good. Don't even want the functionality of mounting n dismounting as a drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
Here is the link on google android dev forms.
Code:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11211
Here are my posts on this: Comments 12 and 13

Code:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=8686
Here is my post on this: Comment 101

This is the place where people can post what they want. Please feel free to post on this forum too, as it would be seen by android dev folks.

Last edited:

NobleBB

Dec 24, 2010
It would be super awesome if they ported it to the Android platform. In my experience, BB 9700 is a truly secure device with its full AES-256 encryption. I used to use it before i got my Captivate so i can def say i miss that feature.

psych0t1c

Jul 30, 2005
earth.europe.de
Truecrypt has an dedicated forum, I would say ikt would make a lot of sense to go their and propose realistic outlines/requirements of what we expect from a TC version for Android. There seem to be a lot of folks who cling to the notion of "if it is important do not put it in a handset with a Google OS because Google kis teh evil".

Voice your opinions and needs there, maybe that makes a difference.

diablo009

Apr 20, 2009
Atlanta GA
Truecrypt has an dedicated forum, I would say ikt would make a lot of sense to go their and propose realistic outlines/requirements of what we expect from a TC version for Android. There seem to be a lot of folks who cling to the notion of "if it is important do not put it in a handset with a Google OS because Google kis teh evil".

Voice your opinions and needs there, maybe that makes a difference.

url please

i am already following abt android security on google forums

psych0t1c

Jul 30, 2005
earth.europe.de
Is google down?

Software is called Truecrypt. Surprisingly it has an official website, truecrypt.org. Checking that one out you find a blue box on top which has a simple text link going to the forums.

http://forums.truecrypt.org

really not that hard to find. Linking the actual thread won't do anything either way cause you need to sign up for full access. Once you are, just use in site search with the term Android or something.

...this chunk of zeroes and ones has been generated by flashing a 400 Watt halogen bulb into the open fibres of a transcontinental communications cable...

tylergolden

Feb 17, 2011
I'll give it a try.

I'm setting up a machine to work on it right now, will let you know how it goes. First attempt will be to get some sort of command-line based utility operational.

Reactions: IrishLadd

CLShortFuse

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 28, 2007
I've been interested in making something like this. I do have android development experience as well.

I'm assuming opening a truecrypt container would be a good place to start.

How interested are you guys, really?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TrueCrypt ported to Android

I've started porting TrueCrypt to Android. It's part of Cryptonite's latest alpha (0.4.0, see https://code.google.com/p/cryptonite/). The following restrictions apply at this time:

• No GUI - command-line access only.
    • Requires FUSE. Most CyanogenMod ROMs except of Motorola builds support FUSE.
    • Requires root.
    • Only works with local volumes. No cloud storage support.

To get started, select the "expert" tab, click "Start root terminal", then use truecrypt from the command line.

Thanks for testing.
    I can confirm Cryptonite can mount a TrueCrypt container volume on Android with kernel supporting FUSE and EncFS (such the latest version of the Matr1x kernel on ICS for Nexus S). Your phone will have to have root and grant Cryptonite root access.

Here are the terminal commands. I recommend using ROM Toolbox and use the Scripter to run these with one-click (be sure to set Scripter to run with root).

Code:
    # Mount a TrueCrypt volume

# TrueCrypt volume to mount
    export tcvol="/mnt/sdcard/path/to/volume.tc"

# Mount point
    export tcmnt="/mnt/sdcard/path/to/tcmount/"

# Decrypt the volume.tc and mount it at the tcmnt mount point
    /data/data/csh.cryptonite/truecrypt -t -k "" --protect-hidden=no --fs-options="uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=0002" -p password $tcvol $tcmnt

Now use a file manager such as ESExplorer and browse to the $tcmnt mount point, you will see all your files that were included in volume.tc. Profit!!!

Code:
    # Dismount the volume when done using
    /data/data/csh.cryptonite/truecrypt -d

Big thanks to the Cryptonite devs and their great support!!
    How is this different from built-in Android encryption?

The short answer:
    Built-in Android encryption encrypts your whole phone. TrueCrypt lets you create virtual encrypted disks that you can use across all supported devices, such as your PC and your mobile phone.

The long answer:
    The purpose of the built-in encryption is to protect your /data partition in case an attacker gains access to your phone while it's not booted up. Android encrypts your whole /data partition at the kernel level [1].

The purpose of TrueCrypt is to create virtual encrypted disks that are contained within a single file [2]. You can store these at arbitrary locations, such as on your sd card or on USB drives, and access them from any device that supports TrueCrypt. Besides, it features some advanced encryption methods so that your data might even withstand key disclosure legislation [3].

Sorry - I'm not allowed to post links as a forum rookie.
    [1] source.android.com/tech/encryption/android_crypto_implementation.html
    [2] truecrypt.org
    [3] truecrypt.org/docs/?s=plausible-deniability
    last time i used truecrypt on a thumb drive it was pretty slow and had to create a temp direcotory on my harddrive then secure erase it. i looked into doing this to my USB drive before college, didnt like it.

EDIT: and modify fat32 drivers? the phones dont support fat32... as you mentioned you havent modded your phone, i would start there, learning andorid on a phone, with the phone kernels, without cross-compilers and all the many partitions and formats and lol drivers we use on the phone. There is alot hacked into and out of android and the kernel for 386 project to make it work. [/U]

I am not trying to flame you, but almost everything you have posted about TrueCrypt in this forum has been patently wrong. It has NEVER functioned the way you have claimed and has always worked in a manner that left little or no trace of itself on the local hard drive when used from a thumb drive. It has always used on the fly encryption and decryption regardless of the entire flash drive being encrypted or using an encrypted file. When using the encrypted file it uses a special driver (under Windows, Linux and OSX) to mount the encrypted file as a drive in much the same way as you can mount an ISO CD/DVD image and access it as if it were a physical drive. Using this method, the driver then handles all of the encryption and decryption in memory as it is reading the file. So let's say you have a word document and you open it by double clicking it in Windows Explorer. When Word Loads and requests the file from the drive, the TrueCrypt driver reads the file from the encrypted area and passes the unencrypted file to Word just like the normal windows drivers would do for a regular drive. The file is never saved to the local hard drive in unencrypted for as that would be a security risk.

The standard for Flash Cards is Fat32 and they come formatted that way and you do not have to reformat them to use them in an Android device, a camera or whatever.

Technically, TrueCrypt for Debian should work on Android without modification. The reason that it will not on most phones is because, if I remember correctly, Android itself does not run native code and root level access is required to run native code.

Your thinking on security is that of the average consumer, where I think about security on the Corporate level as EVERYONE should. Most device theft's today are not done for the device itself, rather they are done for the potential information contained on them. As tablets and smartphones become more prevalent, the data contained on them becomes more valuable and therein lies the problem. I am waiting for the smartphones and tablets with fingerprint readers and completely encrypted drives. Especially considering how easy it has been shown for public charging stations to access the data on the devices they are charging.

Think about how previous viruses and trojans have worked by accessing address books and sending copies of themselves to your contacts. Now think about how many of your contacts would be upset if they started recieving spam texts, phone calls and email messages because your device was compromised.
    Thank you clesenne.
    I just started to cross compile, and before to port Truecrypt to Android I searched if this has been done.
    A quick little test :

modprobe fuse
    mkdir /sdcard/test
    cd /sdcard/test/
    truecrypt -c ( I created normal volume : size 4M; Encryption algo : AES; Hash algo: RIPEMD-160; FS: FAT; && hidden volume with same configuration )
    truecrypt /sdcard/test/test ( mount normal volume, put a file in it )
    truecrypt -d ( dismount all volumes )
    truecrypt /sdcard/test/test ( mount hidden volume, put another file in it )

Result : Normal volume and Hidden volume works perfectly ! :)