[Q] TV-Out on the Nexus S?

Search This thread

weber09

Jun 4, 2009
The Galaxy S has TV-out capability via its headphone jack. Is this true of the Nexus S as well? This is a deciding factor for whether or not I buy one. No one has mentioned this :confused:

ogdobber

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 4, 2008
The Galaxy S has TV-out capability via its headphone jack. Is this true of the Nexus S as well? This is a deciding factor for whether or not I buy one. No one has mentioned this :confused:

so far I have not read anything about this in the specs...however, I would be very surprised if it is not available (or at the very least be "unlocked)
Google loves puzzles and games. This is evident from their april fools jokes, to more recently the "nexus s challenge"
I can guarantee there will be a whole slew of things that get "opened up/discovered" in the NS. Remember when the N1 came out...now look at it, 720p video, touch focus, fm radio, etc. :D

weber09

Jun 4, 2009
After plugging the video out cable into the Nexus S headphone jack, nothing happened. This leads me to believe that it does not support video out in its current state. Perhaps it is there, waiting for some custom firmware magic to wake up :)

Edit: I also saw no tvout option in the display settings.

Last edited:

Mighty07

Jun 30, 2009
On the Galaxy S this is something that needs to be enabled.
Following the same pattern the same would be required in the Nexus S.
As someone referred before maybe this is something along like the FM radio on the Nexus one...

littlesthobo

Dec 17, 2010
Bristol, UK
Have got a source for this? I thought that the hardware was there, just a software issue..?

And isn't the mic connection of the 3.5 jack used to run the video?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA App

dez93_2000

Jan 17, 2009
San Carlos

Waza_Be

Jul 22, 2009
Just found this thread coming from a Google Search...

Still no answer or any clue?

I would be so disapointed if there was no tv-out feature

D

diversificationied

I've been digging around, the SOC definitely supports simultaneous video out like the vibrant does.

I'm trying to pin point whether or not the Nexus S uses the same headphone hardware as the rest of the Galaxy line. I can't seem to find anything about it. That's going to be the crucial point on whether it can be hacked in or not. My gut tells me samsung used the same parts as it would be most cost efficient way to do so.

The SOC actually supports 1080p over USB => hdmi connection, (the actual USB hardware is probably not in place though, as the only galaxy line that used HDMI is the EPIC and that has a seperate mini HDMI port).

We just need to find an interested dev to jump into the kernels and libraries. Can we say Bounty? I'm down for at least $15, if someone wants to organize the bounty.

ogdobber

Nov 4, 2008
I've been digging around, the SOC definitely supports simultaneous video out like the vibrant does.

I'm trying to pin point whether or not the Nexus S uses the same headphone hardware as the rest of the Galaxy line. I can't seem to find anything about it. That's going to be the crucial point on whether it can be hacked in or not. My gut tells me samsung used the same parts as it would be most cost efficient way to do so.

The SOC actually supports 1080p over USB => hdmi connection, (the actual USB hardware is probably not in place though, as the only galaxy line that used HDMI is the EPIC and that has a seperate mini HDMI port).

We just need to find an interested dev to jump into the kernels and libraries. Can we say Bounty? I'm down for at least $15, if someone wants to organize the bounty.

$40 from me;) someone start it

lawalty

May 16, 2008
This is complete BS is the Nexus S doesn't do TV out! I mean, I had to get over my little crying fit since It doesn't have an external SD slot (like my Vibrant), but NOW since it doesn't do TV out, why should I get the f*@! phone . Is it worth turning in my sweet 'rooted' Vibrant running an awesome NERO v5 rom for the 'Pure Google Experience' I was willing to throw it all away to get my Nexus S, so I can have untethered updates straight from Google, BUT NO TV OUT!!!???!!! I use VR Glasses on my Vibrant to watch movies, surf, and play games, but since Nexus S doesn't support TV out, then F#@* IT!!!

I guess i'll wait if there is a software solution for TV out.

tekkitan

May 28, 2009
Cleveland
This is complete BS is the Nexus S doesn't do TV out! I mean, I had to get over my little crying fit since It doesn't have an external SD slot (like my Vibrant), but NOW since it doesn't do TV out, why should I get the f*@! phone . Is it worth turning in my sweet 'rooted' Vibrant running an awesome NERO v5 rom for the 'Pure Google Experience' I was willing to throw it all away to get my Nexus S, so I can have untethered updates straight from Google, BUT NO TV OUT!!!???!!! I use VR Glasses on my Vibrant to watch movies, surf, and play games, but since Nexus S doesn't support TV out, then F#@* IT!!!

I guess i'll wait if there is a software solution for TV out.

Holy hell. Just stop. Sell your phone and go buy another phone. Be aware of the features of a phone before you buy it. THIS IS NOT A FEATURE PHONE. IT IS A DEVELOPER PHONE.