[Q] Type Password to Decrypt Storage after 4.2.2 update

Search This thread

Bootlejr88

Oct 21, 2010
Charleston S.C.
This is what I did and it worked for me!!!

1. Power off
2. Hold Volume + , volume - and power at the same time until you get a green android image with the body opened with "Start" on the screen
3. Press Down till you get to recovery mode
4. Press power
Phone will reboot. You will then get same image of android (smaller) with red warning triangle
5. Wait a minute or two and then press volume + and power
6. Use volume down to select wipe data/factory reset and hit power
Select Yes - delete all user data and hit power
7. Once done select reboot system now and hit power

Note: in step 5. All you do is tap the volume+ and power, you don't hold them.

good luck.

Reactions: rubadub234

alexmnz

Apr 19, 2011
Encryption password problem

Hi,

I just had this problem but it was self inflicted, i accidently flashed the wron recover and even when I flashed the correct recovery it was asking for a password. this seems to be caused by android beiong unable to mount a partition correctly. To fix it i did the following

1. Boot into recovery
2. Go to advanced
3. Format data
4. Format cache (not sure if this is required)
5. Wipe and rest divice
6. Reboot device (all is now well)

killsforpie

Oct 2, 2010
Had this happen to my Nexus 7 (2012). There is some data on there that I would really like to preserve. I would even consider cutting the onboard storage off the board if that would help me get the data off. I can get into the adb sideload menu from recovery and I'm wondering if flashing an OTA could help me out here. I'm sure at least part of the onboard storage is hosed but maybe enough remains to survive an OTA sideload?

I'm making a couple of assumptions here though:

- side-loading an OTA will preserve app data
- my current device can take an OTA in it's current state without a full factory reset
- I can reflash the 4.4.2 OTA or I can flash the 4.4.3 OTA when it becomes available (hopefully soon)

Anyone have some experience with this scenario?

alexmnz

Apr 19, 2011
USB device

Had this happen to my Nexus 7 (2012). There is some data on there that I would really like to preserve. I would even consider cutting the onboard storage off the board if that would help me get the data off. I can get into the adb sideload menu from recovery and I'm wondering if flashing an OTA could help me out here. I'm sure at least part of the onboard storage is hosed but maybe enough remains to survive an OTA sideload?

I'm making a couple of assumptions here though:

- side-loading an OTA will preserve app data
- my current device can take an OTA in it's current state without a full factory reset
- I can reflash the 4.4.2 OTA or I can flash the 4.4.3 OTA when it becomes available (hopefully soon)

Anyone have some experience with this scenario?

Have you tried connecting to your computer via a USB cable and just using it as a mountable set of directories.

killsforpie

Oct 2, 2010
Have you tried connecting to your computer via a USB cable and just using it as a mountable set of directories.

The only time that I've seen it mount is for a couple of seconds when booting up before the "type password to decrypt" pops up where it disappears again. Is there somewhere else I should be able to mount it given my situation?

alexmnz

Apr 19, 2011
The only time that I've seen it mount is for a couple of seconds when booting up before the "type password to decrypt" pops up where it disappears again. Is there somewhere else I should be able to mount it given my situation?

Can you access recovery as if you can boor into recovery there is an option there called "mounts and storage" in CWM and I am sure the equivalent if you are using TWRP. Try mounting your data partition, If you are succesful you should be able to use adb to pull from your data partition by connect your phone to your PC through USB, At command line type adb devices and it should show your connection.
Adb pull ./data/whatever will get your data back

killsforpie

Oct 2, 2010
Can you access recovery as if you can boor into recovery there is an option there called "mounts and storage" in CWM and I am sure the equivalent if you are using TWRP. Try mounting your data partition, If you are succesful you should be able to use adb to pull from your data partition by connect your phone to your PC through USB, At command line type adb devices and it should show your connection.
Adb pull ./data/whatever will get your data back

Unfortunately this is all stock and locked :( Won't be making that mistake again!

killsforpie

Oct 2, 2010
Just wanted to drop an update:

I seemed to be able to flash the KTU84L OTA fine by sideloading it, but when I rebooted I'm still seeing the "Type your password" prompt.

stas_

Aug 10, 2012
http://source.android.com/tech/encryption/android_crypto_implementation.html

I know you tried before, but did you soft-boot ("fastboot boot recovery.img") the stock 4.2.2 recovery, enter it's menu (Pwr+Vol-Up), and then run the factory reset procedure?

The docs above seem to suggest that a factory reset should clear up the problem.

This worked for me.

I was experiencing the "Type password to decrypt" issue after upgrading my Nexus 7 (2012) from JDQ39 to KTU84P using the Nexus Recovery Toolkit.

(I also had to swap in an older bootloader from JWR66V, because the one that came with KTU84P was corrupted - see http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2417097).

stevae

Apr 29, 2013
here there and everywhere
i have done factory restore; data format full system, advanced wipes and reloads forever, but at the end of the day, that damn decrypt message is still there. at this point, i don't care about data. i just want the phone back up and running. i don't care which rom, even factory. i am on a htc evo 4g lte, with hboot 2.10.0000. and i have tried several recoveries.

velishka

Nov 20, 2010
It happened to me too on my Nexus 7 (2012) !
After battery died I saw type password to decrypt and obviously no cure.

It is full stock, never rooted, no custom recovery

1. Wiping data thru stock recovery doesn't work. On the top of that after wiping commands thru recovery the tablet goes into No command. bootloop and never goes back on.
2. Wiping data thru fastbook didn't work either.
3. Fastbook oem unlock doesn't work. The message pops up on the screen of the tablet, I choose YES, but it never unlocks, staying in the lock state. So I can't really unlock the device, can't flash anything.
4. Sideloading OTA 4.4.2 update didn't help. I was already on the 4.4.2, so I sideloaded the update again to see maybe that would help. It didn't.
5. Fastbook overwriting the recovery or boot img obviously doesn't work, since the tablet is locked.

Any other suggestion besides selling it on the eBay for parts ?

jett2314

Jul 26, 2010
After flashing 5.0 I found it to lag and tried flashing back to 4.4.4 and came up with the system asking for a password to decrypt my storage. It will not boot into recovery just shows the android with the red triangle in it. Using wug's tool kit with the soft brick setting checked I was able to flash back to 5.0. it will take some time to fully boot for the first time so be patient. For right now a little lag beats a useless tablet. Hope this helps others.

finnfather

May 21, 2014
Bordeaux
benvost.fr
I have a Moto G XT-1033 that has been charged down for a couple of months and when I powered it up was greeted by the same password request - I didn't encrypt my device and even if I did I wouldn't care about losing everything because I have a newer one now. So I booted into Recovery and tried the "wipe data/factory reset" and get:

Code:
Formatting /data
Error mounting /data!
Skipping format...
Formatting /cache...
Formatting /sd-ext...
E:unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]
Formatting /sdcard/.android_secure
Error mounting /sdcard/.android_secure
Skipping format...
Data wipe complete.

Now, when I say there was no charge left I've started doing this when the USB cable was first plugged in, so perhaps I should wait until it has charged a bit, but if the memory has failed because it had no charge I shall be pissed off. The phone is less than 13 months old... :(

(Double unfortunately, I unlocked the Bootloader and the message says that voids my warranty right away, so either way I'm stuffed...)

B

farmdgps

Feb 12, 2015
Type Password to Decrypt Storage after a low batt powerdown

Hello
I wanted to let you guy know my Nexus 7 from x-mass 2013 is doing the same thing and all i have done its use it normally. You guys are going right over my head but i wanted to let you know i have not done the first thing in the way of changing anything. I used it last night, this morning i found it dead, plugged it in for 10 mins and booted it to the lock screen. My first thought was i had a virus that wanted all my passwords. I guess I'm going to try a hard reset, but its looking like i will be lucky if it works. It may be useful to note the WiFi was off when this happened. I wonder if setting a password would be a workaround for this bug.
Thanks, Mark

Last edited:

CorePorkRation

May 11, 2015
problem solved

dwnload philz touch cwm advanced.

once installed as your recovery, go to

- Mounts and Storage
-format /data and /data/media (/sdcard)

problem solved, cyanogenmod now running on nexus 7

Lee_Garington

Sep 4, 2015
Huntington Beach CA
ill tell you what i would do...depending on what kind of recovery you had, lets say a TWRP..... i would go and change the pesky data file type 'Ext4 to another and than change it back. simple.
#1 enter recovery
#2 select wipe data
#3 select advanced wipe
# 4 select "change file type (it is crucial that you only change the data partition NOTHING ELSE!) Change it from "ext4 to ext3.
# 5 give it a second and let it completely convert and then change it back! run your back up with your newly resurrected data partition and it should work just fine and no need to stress because what you are essentially doing is tricking the program or otherwise known as "hacking" lol, anyways i hope i saved somebody somewhere some tears! good luck,

WyldWolf

Jan 13, 2012
Funny I too had this exact scary issue of the dreaded password to decrypt prompt. My fix was eembarrassngly easy. It boiled down to a simple VERSION issue.

So, I restored a full nandroid backup that was just a tad EARLIER of a bootloader (also wiped this partition) than what my device had been running (which as we know is a one-way street in many cases and booloaders (in my case, a NABI) cannot be downgraded PAST a certain version.). Well, I was at that version.

All I did to fix mine, restore the exact same early nandroid, then find the zip of the 1.29 bootloader, install it using TWRP, same session find and open the magic OTA zip that I then remembered upgrading from 1.29 to 1.37 MINUS THE 1.29 early bootloader. So, in my case, I had done some fancy "hold back the bootloader".

Anyway, literally when I applied and allowed the OTA zip to run through it's normal patching/upgrade process in TWRP plus the old bootloader BOOT partition flash, it booted right up, re-optimized apps and began the new setup process.

Anyway, hope it helps anyone else - be VERY sure if you're staring at that password to decrypt screen that you really truly ARE flashed EXACTLY to both system AND BOOT that you should be, BEFORE you start down a path of further destruction! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://source.android.com/tech/encryption/android_crypto_implementation.html

Does it give anybody some ideas?

Apparently, failure to mount /data is used as *hint* that a partition is encrypted. (Obviously, an unencrypted partition with other problems (e.g. superblock data corruption or no mke2fs filesystem formatting) can also fail to mount, so I suppose it is possible that unexpected conditions might mess up that interpretation.

@Abhitha

I know you tried before, but did you soft-boot ("fastboot boot recovery.img") the stock 4.2.2 recovery, enter it's menu (Pwr+Vol-Up), and then run the factory reset procedure?

The docs above seem to suggest that a factory reset should clear up the problem.
    I doubt you are doing anything wrong ... should I assume that you were using adb with the recovery in the past... or perhaps only with the normal Android OS booted?

At a minimum though, you should at least see the n7 in your device manager - perhaps as an unknown device?

(Kind of a long explanation, but cwm & twrp use a different USB hardware VID/PID pair for their ADB connection than what is used during the regular OS boot for adb. And the Asus and Google drivers do not include this VID/PID pair in their .inf file in their installer package for their USB driver. So by default, the Google or Asus USB driver won't work for CWM/TWRP adb sessions unless you hack the driver .inf file *before* that driver is installed for the first time. Conversely, the XDA "Universal Naked Driver" doesn't have VID/PID pairs for ADB mode for the N7 booted normally. You can see why this is an endless source of confusion for newbs; but the short strokes of it is that folks who don't hand-edit .inf files end up installing TWO drivers for ADB - one for use with the custom recovery, and one for the regular OS)

Anyway, I'm gonna poke around in some source code for awhile, mostly because I'm interested in knowing where device encryption comes into play, but I think the chances are high that you have a hardware related issue.

Don't get your hopes up... & anybody else feel free to jump in.
    When exactly does the "enter password" pop-up dialog occur?

That is - is it produced by the bootloader, or by something which is being booted (e.g. the regular OS boot image)?

Or, to put that same Q differently - does it also prevent booting of a recovery (whether custom or stock)?

I don't have an answer for you, but if it happened to me and a custom recovery could be booted, I would be inclined to use that to see if /system, /data, and /cache can be mounted.

Also - trying to read between the lines - it sounds like you can lock and unlock the boot loader at will - is that correct?
    I fixed this with "fastboot erase userdata" I believe.
    This is what I did and it worked for me!!!

1. Power off
    2. Hold Volume + , volume - and power at the same time until you get a green android image with the body opened with "Start" on the screen
    3. Press Down till you get to recovery mode
    4. Press power
    Phone will reboot. You will then get same image of android (smaller) with red warning triangle
    5. Wait a minute or two and then press volume + and power
    6. Use volume down to select wipe data/factory reset and hit power
    Select Yes - delete all user data and hit power
    7. Once done select reboot system now and hit power

Note: in step 5. All you do is tap the volume+ and power, you don't hold them.

good luck.