[Q] Ubuntu & Nexus 10

Search This thread

bmancell

Dec 28, 2008
Ottawa
I have searched everywhere, can only find information on Nexus 7.

Is this going to happen, possible? Timeframe?

This would make this tablet even more awesome. Assuming duel-booting will be happening.

Valynor

Nov 22, 2008
I don't think dual booting will be happening (ever). Ubuntu via VNC is probably rather easy to do, I expect something like this quite soon.
Would love to see the Ubuntu version that runs on the Android Kernel concurrently with Android, but that's probably a long time away, if it ever happens at all (this only works via a custom tailored ROM).

case-sensitive

Nov 4, 2010
I don't think dual booting will be happening (ever). Ubuntu via VNC is probably rather easy to do, I expect something like this quite soon.
Would love to see the Ubuntu version that runs on the Android Kernel concurrently with Android, but that's probably a long time away, if it ever happens at all (this only works via a custom tailored ROM).

In the meantime, there is the trusty http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1585009

If you do try this, please report back regarding usability (graphics and otherwise) -- e.g. is it good enough as a laptop replacement for a short trip? (libreoffice, emacs, light coding, hdmi out to external monitor/TV, ...)

I'm thinking of getting a N10 to do just that; your report would be most helpful. THANKS!

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
realmofespionage.xyz
If a native method was done on the Nexus 7, I don't think it would be too much trouble to port over to the Nexus 10 (although I could be very wrong about this). I do hope someone at Ubuntu does at least give it a shot though; I feel Ubuntu might even work out a bit better on the Nexus 10 :)

Reactions: !n0x

bmancell

Dec 28, 2008
Ottawa

Why do you say never? Isn't it available for the Nexus 7? That is what I read.

IRKONIK

Feb 5, 2013
Pyongyang
I think it will happen especially since the nexus 10 and samsung chromebook both share the same processor and the chromebook already has ubuntu on it.

Any news? :)
I love the Nexus 10, epecially the screen. Would be really nice to have ubuntu (or other distributions) running on it!

Cheers! :good:

IRKONIK

Feb 5, 2013
Pyongyang
What would you even do with unbuntu on a tablet?

Well, let me explain: Android is like a crippled Linux. So if you have Ubuntu, you have way more options in using the tablet, especially with Wine.
Also, why do we need a reason to mod? :D Everything is worth some modding! Starts with Android, over IKEA and Ubuntu, too Xubuntu (Sorry, my brain didn't knew anything with a "Z" :silly:)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If a native method was done on the Nexus 7, I don't think it would be too much trouble to port over to the Nexus 10 (although I could be very wrong about this). I do hope someone at Ubuntu does at least give it a shot though; I feel Ubuntu might even work out a bit better on the Nexus 10 :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone