[Q] Understanding Asus Cover Function

Search This thread
Jul 8, 2014
Hi,

Since buying the Nillkin Sparkle case for the ZE551ML version (think that's the right combination of letters!), I have had the virtue of enabling the Asus Cover function on the device. It's proving to be very useful, with the option to take photos, use the flashlight, check weather and calendar updates, as well as getting the time and answering calls with the cover closed. However, I've been unable to fully understand a couple of things. Firstly in the clock display, you can slide down and access information from another time and date with counters below for missed calls, emails and messages. For some reason, 10.10 (unsure whether am or pm, due to it only being analog) on February 24th is displayed with 3 missed calls, 27 messages and 99+ emails without giving me any option to press on any part of it and investigate further. I'm not sure of its significance, but I have a feeling that it is giving me information from the stock email and messaging apps (I currently have changed default to Hangouts and Gmail), but have no idea where the 3 missed calls are coming from. I have no missed calls in the first default window. Also I'm curious to know how I change my clock display to digital in Asus Cover mode, as I'm sure I remember it being like that when I first fitted the cover. Bizarrely it's now analog and not nearly as simple to grab the time quickly. My hunch is that the change in clock could've changed with a system update, but I'm still not 100%.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Stuey

Reactions: dimitrakhs1

rlaw

Jul 13, 2011
Ok so the ASUS Cover function has like 8 or so possible apps you can use in circle view. You switch between them by swiping horizontally.

Swiping vertically reveals different views or opinions.

For the clock circle view, swiping down reveals different themes. Swipe horizontally after swiping down on the clock app to see different themes. The theme in view when you swipe up is the one that'll be in use.

dineshdotcom2000

Oct 31, 2007
Circle Flip cover does not work on my AZP 2. All the settings are activated.

Using Pre-Rooted Rom V2.17 WW
Please help

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
For some reason, 10.10 (unsure whether am or pm, due to it only being analog) on February 24th is displayed with 3 missed calls, 27 messages and 99+ emails without giving me any option to press on any part of it and investigate further. I'm not sure of its significance, but I have a feeling that it is giving me information from the stock email and messaging apps (I currently have changed default to Hangouts and Gmail), but have no idea where the 3 missed calls are coming from. I have no missed calls in the first default window. Also I'm curious to know how I change my clock display to digital in Asus Cover mode, as I'm sure I remember it being like that when I first fitted the cover. Bizarrely it's now analog and not nearly as simple to grab the time quickly. My hunch is that the change in clock could've changed with a system update, but I'm still not 100%.

The ones below are examples, filled with example data.

You can select one of the three below the clock as the default to display. There's one digital and two analog clocks to choose from as the display.
That's why it shows 3 calls, 27 messages, and 99+ email. It's example data to show you what the numbers will look like if you select that as the default.

To change:
Activate clock (double tap screen with cover closed)
Scroll down to example clock.
Scroll right to see different clocks (one digital, two analog)
Press on the clock you want to make default.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Is it an official case or a third-party case? I've heard of some of the cheap knock-offs not working properly due to the magnet placement.

In Settings, be sure that ASUS Cover is checked. Shouldn't need to do anything else.

Of course if you use a different launcher it may not work. I'm not sure if they interact properly or not.

Jul 8, 2014

You can select one of the three below the clock as the default to display. There's one digital and two analog clocks to choose from as the display.
That's why it shows 3 calls, 27 messages, and 99+ email. It's example data to show you what the numbers will look like if you select that as the default.

To change:

Legendary, thanks for the heads-up. Here's me thinking that I'd tried just about every permutation in trying to change that. What a donut!

sonic82

Sep 18, 2011
Lecce

To change:

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

Is it an official case or a third-party case? I've heard of some of the cheap knock-offs not working properly due to the magnet placement.

In Settings, be sure that ASUS Cover is checked. Shouldn't need to do anything else.

Of course if you use a different launcher it may not work. I'm not sure if they interact properly or not.

Sorry but where are the settings of the flip cover? I didn't find.
Since I've bought a thirdy part cover with the magnet but it does not work.
Thanks

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
I don't have"ASUS cover" into settings,is missing some app?

See attachment. If that isn't there, try checking Settings > Apps > All > Cover View.

If that isn't there, then try installing the Flip Cover apk that I've attached. I just pulled it from my phone.

Might need an updated AsusSystemUI.apk as well if it doesn't show up in the Settings Menu.

Let me know how it goes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-02-11-29-38_1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-02-11-29-38_1.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,144
  • FlipCover2.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 922

sonic82

Sep 18, 2011
Lecce
Unfortunately the app does not install on the phone, see attachment
May the ze500cl is not compatible with the ASUS cover?
However I want to thank you for the support.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-02-23-48-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-02-23-48-38.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 947

Doadi

Apr 22, 2012
Pelotas
I think that devs will add this feature... :thumbup:

(Zenfone2 ze551ml rooted)

Last edited:

king0r

Oct 28, 2015
Is there any alternative app to the ASUS Cover app?
I am especially missing a nice watch widget on the flip screen.

Reactions: gilfranco

hadi.nour

Feb 28, 2017
Hi All,
do you know any other apps to work in circle view?
or just the predefined apps are there
thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For some reason, 10.10 (unsure whether am or pm, due to it only being analog) on February 24th is displayed with 3 missed calls, 27 messages and 99+ emails without giving me any option to press on any part of it and investigate further. I'm not sure of its significance, but I have a feeling that it is giving me information from the stock email and messaging apps (I currently have changed default to Hangouts and Gmail), but have no idea where the 3 missed calls are coming from. I have no missed calls in the first default window. Also I'm curious to know how I change my clock display to digital in Asus Cover mode, as I'm sure I remember it being like that when I first fitted the cover. Bizarrely it's now analog and not nearly as simple to grab the time quickly. My hunch is that the change in clock could've changed with a system update, but I'm still not 100%.

To change:

Hi,

Since buying the Nillkin Sparkle case for the ZE551ML version (think that's the right combination of letters!), I have had the virtue of enabling the Asus Cover function on the device. It's proving to be very useful, with the option to take photos, use the flashlight, check weather and calendar updates, as well as getting the time and answering calls with the cover closed. However, I've been unable to fully understand a couple of things. Firstly in the clock display, you can slide down and access information from another time and date with counters below for missed calls, emails and messages. For some reason, 10.10 (unsure whether am or pm, due to it only being analog) on February 24th is displayed with 3 missed calls, 27 messages and 99+ emails without giving me any option to press on any part of it and investigate further. I'm not sure of its significance, but I have a feeling that it is giving me information from the stock email and messaging apps (I currently have changed default to Hangouts and Gmail), but have no idea where the 3 missed calls are coming from. I have no missed calls in the first default window. Also I'm curious to know how I change my clock display to digital in Asus Cover mode, as I'm sure I remember it being like that when I first fitted the cover. Bizarrely it's now analog and not nearly as simple to grab the time quickly. My hunch is that the change in clock could've changed with a system update, but I'm still not 100%.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Stuey
    Will the 550ml case work on the 551ml phone?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using XDA Free mobile app

It should. The only real difference is the screen resolution; the body of the phone looks identical to me.
    Sorry but where are the settings of the flip cover? I didn't find.

Settings > ASUS Cover > "Enable ASUS Cover"

Then you can select other things as well.
    Is there any alternative app to the ASUS Cover app?
    I am especially missing a nice watch widget on the flip screen.