[Q] Unlock My Epic To Use In A Different Country?

Search This thread

Kangaji

Apr 9, 2011
Hey guys,

So, I'm going to take a trip abroad for a little while. Thing is, I love my phone, and I don't really wanna live without it, and I'll need a cell phone while I'm in S. Korea. I was wondering if there's maybe a way to mod the firmware or something to get it to use Korean cell towers? Anybody know? I'd really appreciate it if I could find a way to get that to work...

Thanks,
Kangaji

darksideauto

Jun 13, 2010
Des Moines
you have a samsung phone and you are going to south korea? ask the guys at samsung to help you out while you are there lol. ok seriously, im not sure if they have cdma networks there or not. if they do you could figure out how to flash a modem or prl that would roam on the local network. if they only have gsm networks then you'd have to borrow or buy a gsm phone and put a local SIM card in it.

tazfanatic

Apr 4, 2011
Brockton, MA
Google Pixel 6
Hey guys,

So, I'm going to take a trip abroad for a little while. Thing is, I love my phone, and I don't really wanna live without it, and I'll need a cell phone while I'm in S. Korea. I was wondering if there's maybe a way to mod the firmware or something to get it to use Korean cell towers? Anybody know? I'd really appreciate it if I could find a way to get that to work...

Thanks,
Kangaji

Call or stop by Sprint tell them you are going out of country and where they might give you a code to "unlock". At least that is how it is with ATT when I was with them. Not sure about Sprint wouldn't hurt to ask.

lynyrd65

Jul 11, 2010
Tulsa
I think the only thing that might work if you know what you're doing is wimax but it probably isn't worth the effort. If you want to use a local service provider there you'll need a gsm phone. I recommend the iPhone 2g or 3g unlocked. You can find them on craigslist for $50 or $60.

if you have $100~200 to spend get an unlocked HTC HD2 and put gingerbread on the Nand.

It looks like I was wrong, CDMA coverage is available in Korea but that doesn't change my recommendation, look here at the rates you would have to pay to roam there.

Voice Pricing: $2.29/minute
Special Voice Pricing: $1.99/min. with plan
Data Pricing: $0.019/KB
Special Data Pricing: 1x Data: $0.002/KB
Text Pricing: Send: $0.50/recipient; Received: $0.05/msg

Alternatively you could use qpst to use the phone on SK Telecom but it would be tedious and probably not worth it.

Last edited:

Kangaji

Apr 9, 2011
I think the only thing that might work if you know what you're doing is wimax but it probably isn't worth the effort. If you want to use a local service provider there you'll need a gsm phone. I recommend the iPhone 2g or 3g unlocked. You can find them on craigslist for $50 or $60.

if you have $100~200 to spend get an unlocked HTC HD2 and put gingerbread on the Nand.

It looks like I was wrong, CDMA coverage is available in Korea but that doesn't change my recommendation, look here at the rates you would have to pay to roam there.

Voice Pricing: $2.29/minute
Special Voice Pricing: $1.99/min. with plan
Data Pricing: $0.019/KB
Special Data Pricing: 1x Data: $0.002/KB
Text Pricing: Send: $0.50/recipient; Received: $0.05/msg

Alternatively you could use qpst to use the phone on SK Telecom but it would be tedious and probably not worth it.

Qpst? You gotta link for that? I'd try one of the other ways, but I'd rather not spend any money if I didn't have to...

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA Premium App

Kangaji

Apr 9, 2011
Qpst? You gotta link for that? I'd try one of the other ways, but I'd rather not spend any money if I didn't have to...

Oh ya, and thanks for the info by the way! I really appreciate it -- I e been looking at the problem off and on for a few months and haven't been able to figure even THAT out.