[Q] Unlocking / Rooting Nexus 7 without having to Wipe it

Search This thread

HandyAndyXDA

May 13, 2013
I have not been able to convince myself that the MTP implementation is deterministic, although in theory it is impossible for it not to be. (Translation: I don't trust it at all)
<<<<LOL and totally agree

I am fine with what TWRP does I am just looking for a decent way to backup what TWRP can't. The data that TWRP can't backup don't have to be backed up bit by bit.

Thanks again.

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
BTW. these backup problems are exactly the reasons why I started with my A.R.T. project. I was fed up to copy first to sdcard and then from there to the PC. Currently it's still a work in progress, but phone backup as tar and as image is working.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

HandyAndyXDA

May 13, 2013
BTW. these backup problems are exactly the reasons why I started with my A.R.T. project. I was fed up to copy first to sdcard and then from there to the PC. Currently it's still a work in progress, but phone backup as tar and as image is working.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

When you say sdcard do you mean usb flash drive?
I am not sure I follow but all I know is I am getting so frustrated.
I cant figure out how to get adb to work and now I got a friend developer telling me how to pull files from using eclipse and while that looked promising, i am still having trouble.

I'm not giving up yet.

I feel though that I am making a dumb mistake or missing something with the adb command, but I dont know what lol

AndDiSa

Dec 2, 2009
Heidelberg
I mean internal sdcard, but even external flash drive is not much better. It started frustrating me after I bought the Nexus 7, because for me a backup on the same device is not a backup. But even the possibility to store the backups on otg flash drive, which TWRP provides, didn't make me very happy. I am normally storing everything on my NAS (which is automatically backuped every night) , so I was looking for a solution to get my backups from my Android devices directly to it, without having the need to copy it to a temporary place before. That was the reason why I started A.R.T.
I know, that since short time Koush is working on a similar solution integrated into Clockwork Mod recovery. Probably the situation will improve, but until then ...

HandyAndyXDA

May 13, 2013
Sounds terrific. Good luck with that. I also have a NAS I built so that solution would be ideal for me too.
Some people don't get it and make fun because I am so into getting a true backup solution for my nexus 7. Honestly, you can never have too good of a backup and I really quickly learned to love my nexus 7 and now I depend on it a lot for work too. I can't imagine having any downtime or worse losing important irreplaceable data.

I wish I had joined XDA Forums a long time ago. It's been great getting all this input. :)

I should start a thread related to backup but there are so many as it is. I would just have to include specific exceptions / rules as to the ultimate backup solution I seek.
Don't get me wrong, all your suggestions are great and I currently use them and enjoy them. But lacking backup of internal storage and just backup of system isn't truly enough. However I am extremely thankful.
Can't hurt to push the envelope a little further, get more feedback, ideas, suggestions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    No.

The tablet can now be rooted without unlocking the boot loader, however.

There is a third method for re-locking & unlocking without touching the data - but it requires at least one prior unlock which does destroy all data.
    @handy

If you were asking about this because you were contemplating rooting, please be advised about the importance of making full nandroid backups. Perversely, the rooting guides fail to mention how important this is... especially if you are averse to wiping the tablet.

The reason? If you are rooted and you wedge your O/S somehow with a "mod gone bad", the only means of rescue will be unlocking the boot loader (to be able to use the advanced capabilities of fastboot), which wipes the tablet.

The way to do this with a locked bootloader is to flash a custom recovery to the recovery partition (from a root shell command line) after you have rooted.

That way if something goes wrong with booting the regular OS, you have a custom recovery to fall back on - and hopefully you used it to create a Nandroid backup before modding your lightly rooted stock ROM.

good luck
    I agree with @bftb0

Just make it clear, I't possible to root without wipping. But you are still locked. Not possible to Unlock without wipping yet. If your data and OS is important for you (not for me) you must keep a backup first. Don't rely on the words I'll be successfully rooted with my OS and data anything can go wrong at any moment.
    I just want to thank you all very very much!
    I was successful using the method linked in the original post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2233852

I have been researching for ways to root my Nexus 7 without having to unlock it since unlocking would mean losing all my data and the sole purpose of wanting to root my nexus 7 was to gain access to good backup programs and methods like titanium backup and full bit by bit NAND backups. Which I am still not sure I can use full bit by bit nand yet but hey this is a start in the right direction. And I didn't lose any data doing this. :D

Thanks so much and I will keep in touch with how it goes.

Get started on installing a custom recovery (either CWM or TWRP) immediately so that you can make a Nandroid backup.

And then get a copy of that off the tablet for safe keeping.

Note (here I am reading between the lines of your post) that on the N7, Nandroid backups exclude /data/media !! - Basically, everything that you see in "/sdcard" is NOT BACKED UP by Nandroid.

You need a full Nandroid backup in the event of some kind of disaster (rooting experiment or mod gone wrong), but you also do need to backup stuff you feel is worth keeping from your /sdcard. You can use MTP for that if you want.

good luck and be careful.
    Thanks for the backup tips! I was not aware that it won't backup sdcard directory.

Not to get off the thread topic because the whole purpose of rooting for me was to gain the best backup possible and being able to use USB flash drives now is nice too.
    Anyway, I would like to know what you recommend for backup and how it works / how to use it. I would love to have something that works like acronis. I am really interested in making a bit by bit image that I can store on my desktop or flash drive that I can recover from.
    I am researching on my own but I'd love to get input from you guys if you don't mind.

PS: Thanks again! You have been great help!
    And now that I see the thanks button, everyone of you is getting a thanks!:good:
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone