• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Using U.S. Nexus 5 in Japan with Softbank questions

Search This thread

gaijinboricua

Oct 17, 2010
Hello everyone. I will be moving to Japan in the next few months. As I currently own an U.S. Nexus 5, I was curious as to what issues I might encounter when using it with Softbank. As I understand Softbank uses LTE bands 1 and 3 and the U.S. Nexus 5 supports band 1, so I am assuming it should work fine. Any information is greatly appreciated.

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany
Your phone only uses 1 on the bands at a time and will switch if the others are better. if you don't have access to the others then you'll be stuck on 1 channel which may or may not be congested. It all depends on the network as to how that will behave.

gaijinboricua

Oct 17, 2010
Your phone only uses 1 on the bands at a time and will switch if the others are better. if you don't have access to the others then you'll be stuck on 1 channel which may or may not be congested. It all depends on the network as to how that will behave.

Thanks for your reply. I helps clear a lot of things up. I will be posting some more questions under a different thread to keep this one on topic (specially considering other people that might be interested in this information). Thanks again.

gaijinboricua

Oct 17, 2010
I'm using the Nexus 5 now with Softbank. I bought the phone thru the US play store. It works but the MMS is kind of wonky. I don't get some of the photos my friends send me.

Thanks for the information. What do you mean by wonky? having issues with the characters? are messages not been received? are messages arriving halfway? are you using a third party sms tool or the one with the nexus 5?

Did you have any issues getting a sim card for your phone or did you just put an iphone sim card with an adapter on the nexus 5?

Thanks for the information.

Top Liked Posts