[Q] Verizon SCH-I535 Hard Brick Options...

Search This thread

fscxide

Dec 7, 2012
Boston
Hello to all the people of the world who share this amazing interest in their electronics. ;)

Please let me begin by saying that this is my first post and have searched for hours over the last five days to try and find the answers and learn more about my situation, and I thank anyone who takes the time to respond ahead of time. :)

I am the owner of a what I believe to be a hard bricked verizon sch-i535. :eek:

I started with the stock phone and I decided to try the update I found on this wonderful site.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1974114
"[GUIDE] Jelly Bean Factory Image (Root/Recovery/Unlocked Bootloader) *UPDATED 12/6*"

I followed the directions perfectly, installed TWRP Recovery, added SuperSU, and went with both Root and Unlocked Bootloader option.
Everything went perfect. The phone rebooted, opened loaded android jelly bean perfect and I was able to make a recovery back up, by entering TWRP recovery mode, three button combo, vol up, power, home. This all went perfectly according to plan.

My problem arose when I pushed my luck and lack of research which I rightly admit and decided to try and then upload one of the modified roms.
I decided to go with the latest AOKP milestone, that i downloaded from the AOKP site.
aokp_i9300_jb_milestone-1.zip

I had spent some time researching and was pretty sure I understood what to do. :eek::eek:
I entered TWRP with the three button recovery mode option (vol up, home, power), made a second back up, did the factory reset swipe, cleared both caches, then tried to install "aokp_i9300_jb_milestone-1.zip" from sd card which was on the list. The phone reloaded, the screen went black and enter what i now believe to be hard brick status.

I have tried all the simple fixes, ordered and used a download jig, removed battery, no button responses, not recognized by odin on xp, computer chimes but does not recognize phone. This is where I'm at and how I have gotten here. If only :eek:

I have been researching JTAG and the RIFF box, and now also the ORT JTAG box. There are people who are supposidly doing JTAG repairs on the sch-i535 even though all of the sales sites for these boxes do not show the Snap dragon msm 8960 chip set is supported. I realize I could just send this phone to them but I would really like to repair it myself if I can purchase the correct tools. I have searched high and low and would just like to know if anyone on here has any experience with this type of repair if you think its an option in my case. I have also read that people who have had hard bricks with the same symptoms have had to replace the motherboard. If JTAG repair with RIFF box is possible, can I use the same JTAG jig as the one designed for the i747 version which is also based on the same chipset? I realize that the actual programing is different between carriers but if the RIFF box has the correct verizon software can it be used with i747 JTAG jig?

I have also read about the option to use a good SCH-I535 to make a boot sd card and then short the resistor on the bricked phone. There really hasn't been much written about success with this option. I am a person who believes I can fix anything, and would like to be able to repair it in the future if I can find the right tools and also help others in my area. Is it really dead or can I still resurrect my phone?

Thanks a lot to all of you at XDA.

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
your problem lies in the fact that you flashed an i9300 (international variant) rom onto your us variant rom. unfortunately they're not compatible and most probably bricked your phone unless you are somehow able to go back into download mode and use odin to flash the appropriate stock rom for your verizon s3.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

fscxide

Dec 7, 2012
Boston
your problem lies in the fact that you flashed an i9300 (international variant) rom onto your us variant rom. unfortunately they're not compatible and most probably bricked your phone unless you are somehow able to go back into download mode and use odin to flash the appropriate stock rom for your verizon s3.

Thanks for your response. A question about the variants. Was it the No wipe version, or the AOKP version? I'm thinking the AOKP due to the fact that the phone booted up perfect after the no-wipe Jelly bean. Or am I wrong, and would it appear to operate fine at beginning only to crash after?

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Thanks for your response. A question about the variants. Was it the No wipe version, or the AOKP version? I'm thinking the AOKP due to the fact that the phone booted up perfect after the no-wipe Jelly bean. Or am I wrong, and would it appear to operate fine at beginning only to crash after?

The problem is you flashed the I9300 AOKP on your Verizon S3. Guaranteed hard brick every time.

Glad to see you've been researching and you're on the right path, is gonna need JTAG. here is the link everyone uses. You may be able email and ask what method they use to determine if you can do it yourself. I'd guess it's expensive, but it may be something you want to do.

http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/

Sent from my SCH-I535

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
My guess is that I7 box will do no good. There has to be more to JTag. In the beginning Josh at Mobile Tech could JTag the other Variants but not the I535. He now can so apparently there is more needed than just the box. :cool:

fscxide

Dec 7, 2012
Boston
The problem is you flashed the I9300 AOKP on your Verizon S3. Guaranteed hard brick every time.

Glad to see you've been researching and you're on the right path, is gonna need JTAG. here is the link everyone uses. You may be able email and ask what method they use to determine if you can do it yourself. I'd guess it's expensive, but it may be something you want to do.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Thanks for your response. I have spent at least 5 hours a night since Monday to try to figure this all out. I am learning a lot about this phone and the processes here on xda, and all it has done is peak my interest even more. I'm definitely in the camp that believes its wrong to take back a perfectly good phone that is technically only "asleep." :fingers-crossed:

Reactions: bobAbooE

mputtr

Nov 12, 2008
California, USA
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

sorry the late response since apparently this got moved to the appropriate forum.
it's the i9300 rom which if i remembered correctly, is the AOKP. You need to somehow get back to download mode and use odin to flash the proper stock rom into it.
Good luck

Last edited:

fscxide

Dec 7, 2012
Boston
Success!

Well not exactly but my phone is completely fixed thanks to Josh at MOBILE TECH VIDEOS! After extensively searching for answers and figuring out what I had done there was only one option. JTAG. I realize I could have just brought it back to Verizon and exchanged it but I wasn't willing to risk getting a refurb when I knew there was nothing physically wrong with my phone. I called the Mobile Tech Videos number last Tuesday afternoon to make sure I could speak to a person before just placing my phone in the mail. The person who answered was actually Josh the owner. I explained what I had done to the phone and he explained exactly what I did internally to the phone and that he could definitely help me. He even told me of a notebook program that would let me read the code before had and I would have seen that I had an international ROM. He was very easy to talk to and took the time to explain to me information that he has probably said 1000s of times all with patience and a genuine desire to help me understand. :)

I packaged my phone up on Tuesday and mailed it the way his very well designed website said to. He told me exactly what would happen and it did. I received an email Friday stating that they had received my phone and that because I had paid the additional 15$ for the expedited service, that the phone would be fixed and shipped within 2 business days. Monday I received another email that my phone was fixed and shipped with a tracking number. I had also paid for the expedited shipping so I received my phone today! 4 day turn around...Awesome! :victory:

It was packaged in a small bubble wrap envelope inside a larger bubble wrap envelope inside of the outer shipping envelope safe and sound.
Came home put sim card, battery in and it came to LIFE! I went back over all the correct steps I had done and reinstalled Jelly bean with TWRP and both the superuser and root unlock option. SO glad to have my phone working again thanks to MOBILE TECH VIDEOS and Josh but also everyone here at XDA! Thanks Again!:D

Reactions: bedwa

Toddricks

Jul 28, 2010
I hard bricked mine following a soft brick. Followed the guide to the letter, or so I thought. Anyway I ended up with a paperweight. I didnt know about jtag repair so I talked with samsung and explained what happened and even told them it as a rooted bad flash. They advised to send it in to them and they would fix. Sent off on friday and got it back yesterday. Samsung replaced the motheboard and did it under warranty. I should have had to pay something but did not have to. I learned my lesson on paperweights. Phone was rooted as quickly as possible, installed ota rootkeeper and took the ota this morning. So far everything is golden.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

averyathome

Apr 24, 2015
Cheap 100% working jtag

Hey I found a guy that has very good service and is almost guaranteed to fix your hard bricked Samsung. Go to jtagmyphone.com
Its the best guy and he has very good service and he's very quick also you can give him a call at 518.847.7473. This is the best option for your bricked phone I promise.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

http://mobiletechvideos.mybigcommerce.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-jtag-brick-repair/

Sent from my SCH-I535
    OP see sticky top of page for correct forum.
    jje

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium
    This is wrong forum mate

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Premium HD app

Sent from my SCH-I535

Thanks for your response. I have spent at least 5 hours a night since Monday to try to figure this all out. I am learning a lot about this phone and the processes here on xda, and all it has done is peak my interest even more. I'm definitely in the camp that believes its wrong to take back a perfectly good phone that is technically only "asleep." :fingers-crossed: