[Q] Video on Note

Search This thread

MartijnMM

Jul 18, 2008
2 German threads:

http://translate.google.com/transla...s-der-farbtiefe-des-galaxy-note-displays.html

http://translate.google.com/transla...iche-displayverhalten-beim-galaxy-note-3.html

Especially this pic, much difference in rendering:
55310d1320001318-kloetzchenbildung-liegt-es-der-farbtiefe-des-galaxy-note-displays-note_vergleich.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Is the LCD Test still available in the Note?

Try *#0*# on the dailpad.

paulshields

Nov 17, 2006
Liverpool
I can only guess that for some bizarre reason, the Galaxy Note is handling colorspace conversion badly. Perhaps the colorspace on the Slimness and lightness video was different than to those that we are trying before conversion.

I have uploaded some samples to see if my theory is correct.

Info: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/ConvertToYV12#Options
I suspect that the Note is converting to 16,235 but is displaying the video on a device which shows 0,255. This will show blocking and make blacks look more grey.

Here are some sample videos to check on your Note and computer:

http://www.multiupload.com/MIWW24INAG - Original
http://www.multiupload.com/9PR4TFO0H3 - Rec709
http://www.multiupload.com/BA695W7110 - PC.601
http://www.multiupload.com/M0IUMYZJYS - PC.709

Please test these videos and tell me which one looks as close to the Original when played on the note.

I could be completely wrong of course, I don't actually have the Note yet. :p

Thanks for those. I tried those and also created my own and they all show the crushed blacks. I've mentioned this in a similar thread that I'm pretty certain this is an issue with the video software/codecs and not the hardware.

We can see this by viewing the Dr Who trailer via the You Tube app (which is basically the same as the Videos app), and then viewing it on a web browser on the Note.

Go to the following URL on the Note web browser. Make sure to set the page up as "Desktop" and not "Mobile" (should be a "Desktop" link at bottom right of screen if you're currently on the Mobile site).

Double tap the screen to get the video to play in full screen mode. The default playback setting is 480p, but even at this lowish resolution it doesn't show much if any of the crushed blacks we see on the you tube or Videos app. At 720p it's good, and at 1080p it's even better.

I used a YouTube downloader to extract the videos at those bit rates and copied them to the Note. Now when I play them back using the Videos app we're back to horrible crushed blacks. You could probably try this test with other YouTube videos - on the Note watch them in Mobile browser or via the YouTube app, and then in the Desktop browser. I wouldn't be surprised if we got similar results. There is something up with how the Videos app plays back certain videos, and those artifacts aren't shown when using the Flash player in the browser. If that's the case then we should expect to see a fix...

Last edited:

BerreZ

Dec 31, 2007
Leuven
Testing ,

Hello ,

Have tried the samples provided by Darkstone .
Couldn''t play the reencoded videos with the stock player , tried with dice player but have to use the software encoder , grey blocks were still present .
Had the same problem in other application ( the screen during the download for the game GT academy for instance ).
It's less noticable in full daylight , and when playing video with auto brightness of and brightness manualy set above the 50% it's less visible ,but not completely fixed.

Could someone try this samples on a device with an Amoled screen and lett us know ?

Hello paul schields ,

You're completely wright , mabye the beginning of a solution here.
Could you post a link to the other tread ?
Thanks

Last edited:

DarkStone1337

Nov 19, 2006
Thanks for those. I tried those and also created my own and they all show the crushed blacks. I've mentioned this in a similar thread that I'm pretty certain this is an issue with the video software/codecs and not the hardware.

We can see this by viewing the Dr Who trailer via the You Tube app (which is basically the same as the Videos app), and then viewing it on a web browser on the Note.

Go to the following URL on the Note web browser. Make sure to set the page up as "Desktop" and not "Mobile" (should be a "Desktop" link at bottom right of screen if you're currently on the Mobile site).

Double tap the screen to get the video to play in full screen mode. The default playback setting is 480p, but even at this lowish resolution it doesn't show much if any of the crushed blacks we see on the you tube or Videos app. At 720p it's good, and at 1080p it's even better.

I used a YouTube downloader to extract the videos at those bit rates and copied them to the Note. Now when I play them back using the Videos app we're back to horrible crushed blacks. You could probably try this test with other YouTube videos - on the Note watch them in Mobile browser or via the YouTube app, and then in the Desktop browser. I wouldn't be surprised if we got similar results. There is something up with how the Videos app plays back certain videos, and those artifacts aren't shown when using the Flash player in the browser. If that's the case then we should expect to see a fix...

OK, in that case can someone try this sample video and compare it to the original video?

This time I muxed it to a MKV container.

Link: http://www.multiupload.com/I7N4IAU835

I've used the Levels(16, 1, 235, 0, 255, coring=false) command in Avisynth to convert the levels from 16-235 to 0-255 even though the source video is 0-255 anyway.

Info: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Levels

The purpose of this is to see if you still get crushed black/grey artifacts. If blacks appear correct and details are preserved, then the problem is in the software/video player displaying the wrong levels. Should be an easy fix for Samsung.

BerreZ

Dec 31, 2007
Leuven
Yes

Yes , like said before less noticable when watching in full daylight but very noticable in a dark room.

I'm still asking myself why is this not noticable with the Samsung video ?

MartijnMM

Jul 18, 2008
Yes , like said before less noticable when watching in full daylight but very noticable in a dark room.

I'm still asking myself why is this not noticable with the Samsung video ?

I think its because the browser uses 24-bit color, and my guess
is that the video players on gingerbread are all 16-bit.

Think we need a videoplayer that does 100% 24-bit video.

seepage

Dec 18, 2010
Yes, if 720p hi res.
I tried to take a screen capture but it didn't work, but I have a 720p ep of True Blood 4 which looks sensational. It is a very good pictue on my Bravia too. Tied to copy 6Gb of Limitless 720p but something happened. Will try again.

Not on mine. Dice player looks the same as the supplied player, as does mobo player.

BerreZ

Dec 31, 2007
Leuven
LCD test

I've tried the lcd test (*#0*# ) , it is stilll working and everything seems ok , vibration black and black is ok.

BerreZ

Dec 31, 2007
Leuven
16 vs 24 bits

I've just done that .

The blacks are ok in the browser but not in the video player ( look at the hat of the clown )

So if you're wright , how we solve the problem ( with Dice Player the result are the same ) and also how do you explain the fact that the video " Lightness & Slimmes " does not present that problem even with a 16 bits video player ?

MartijnMM

Jul 18, 2008
So if you're wright , how we solve the problem ( with Dice Player the result are the same ) and also how do you explain the fact that the video " Lightness & Slimmes " does not present that problem even with a 16 bits video player ?
The only solution is a 24-bit video player that works under Gingerbread....but maybe ICS solves it.

The video " Lightness & Slimmes " might be optimized for 16bit displays, i have no encoder that can do that.

Reactions: BerreZ

paulshields

Nov 17, 2006
Liverpool
I've just done that .

The blacks are ok in the browser but not in the video player ( look at the hat of the clown )

I think it's more down to bit rate and/or codecs, and how well the Videos and YouTube apps handle them. A high bit rate video can look great via the Note player, so we know the screen is not the issue when fed good quality video. It has to be down to how the app handles those files. The Flash plugin in the browser when run in desktop mode is much much better at handling similar sources - which is ironic seeing as how Adobe has officially stopped developing Flash for Android devices... :rolleyes:.

btw - I've tried the Dr Who files on a 7" Galaxy Tab running Froyo (I prefer that to Gingerbread on the 7"), and also on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Honeycomb. On both devices the files don't show the issues with dark scenes.

Reactions: BerreZ

DarkStone1337

Nov 19, 2006
Does anyone have a link to the lightness & slimmess MP4 file taken directly from the Galaxy Note? I want to inspect the MP4 for myself :)

Also, has anyone else tried the video I posted on the previous page? I'm trying to find out how the blacks are achieved on the demo video D:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello ,

I probably didn't express myself completly correctly.
    The Note can play al those video file and even mkv without any lag , the problem consist in the fact that the blacks in the video are not realy black but more greish , like if the contrast was not calibrated right.I even got blocks in the black part of the video.I don't have that problem with photos.
    It's also like there is oversaturation , i have tried the stock video player , act video and mx player , all give me the same result.

It looks to me like its video quality issue. If you run video provided by samsung "lightness & slimmess", you can check whether black colour is properly displayed (skip to 0:55 for the best result).
    Theres a big "if" they want to fix it, you should see the same video on the Galaxy S1 or S2, even with a 4" screen that video looks superb!

Galaxy Nexus also suffers the same issue.

Why does this software issue have such great differences on different galaxy notes.

Mine on the left, a friend's Galaxy note on the right. If you guys wanna contribute your photo get the same scenes from this link

both devices purchased on the same shop but at different dates, both in KL7. The demo units on the store also showed a different kind of black clipping.
    I think this whole issue can be explained by the technology in place here.

Super AMOLED does not light up black pixels at all, so when slightly gray/dark gray colors appear in the black, they tend to stand out much more than they do on different screen technologies.

Solution: higher bitrate videos, and/or deal with it :)
    I moved this reply here as I found it more appropriate for the topic as it was initially posted on the screen issues.

LOL...now I get it ...

You get what? After reading your entire post its clear that you do not understand the entire nature of this post. Just because I reused supercurio's link you just brush it off?

So tell me why would I waste my time, working with obscure video clips downloaded / re-uploaded / converted / decoded /stretched by whoever to whoever for whatever purposes,

Most of the test video's I posted is from supercurio, the rusty nails video is a direct source to his own links, I honestly doubt that he would do anything that you in-directly accused him.

Some difficult test videos:

http://youtu.be/DoxUiqUpkw4
    http://youtu.be/BXpdmKELE1k
    http://youtu.be/t5Sd5c4o9UM
    http://youtu.be/Md75XkwRs1U

Be sure you watch full resolution videos (I suggest to download them) and not via Youtube app (480p) or Flash (does **** with black levels)

Like that: http://dl.project-voodoo.org/sample-videos/Moderat - Rusty Nails.mkv

if I can enjoy from the same video from better and more reliable sources, perfectly viewed on the beautiful screen of my Note, with no blocks, lines or whatever??

The same clip (rusty nails - moderat)!!

TIP # 2 : Open the following link with OPERA mobile browser ( free from the market):

http://www.pfadfinderei.com/motion/moderat--rusty-nails#/0

When viewed on the stock browser or any browser the blacks are more lit, its brighter than they are actually intended (IMHO) if you grab a color picker those blacks are supposed to be #010101 but web browsers show them as #080808 ( not actual numbers but estimated ) of course you wont get clipping but you get a scene that is a lot brighter than intended with a greyish like overcast, of course this is actually better than a screen full of blocks.

To prove this, anyone can go to an 'unreliable' source like youtube (use the browser not the app) and search the video play it under 720p and I assure you its the very same result as with the 'reliable' source posted. Download the said video using keepvid.com as this should not perform any alternation what so ever, its a direct grab of the file thats being streamed and play it back using whatever 3rd party application you want like mvideo,quickpic,mx player,dice ect ect.. from there you will see clipping BUT the background is of a deeper black like how it should be ( color value of #010101 )

Im not saying you are wrong, but the issue in hand is different.. it is when viewing your HD movies/series from the internal/external memory the issue shows it self. Now this is a known software issue, what is unknown here is that why is there a difference from screen to screen in terms of clipping severity.

Im not sure if you are indirectly misleading others but claiming that you dont have any clipped blacks will surely raise an eye brow or two since this issue exists on all G-Notes/Nexus, you then try to defend it by by brushing off and say the sample clip(s) are altered and then provide a so called more reliable source with an instruction to view it with web a web browser which in turn will convince those who just started reading at this part that their screens dont have black clipping, its a clever turn around I have to say but the issue at hand is different.

EDIT: Color picker results from the 'reliable' source shows that its rendering the black background at an RGB value of 16 instead of 0 ( blacks ) from its source file, so yeah there we have it.
    EDIT2: Seems like web browsers are only only 16-235 limited range hence the more lit scenes while non web browser based players use full range from 0-235 hence we get deeper blacks and clipping at the same time, this is why the color picker in GIMP shows 16 instead of 0

I will upload a better sample of rusty nails soon....and when I have more time, will make some GNote videos myself to demonstrate how proper HD video clips are perfectly viewed on my Note

And lots of other stuff
    Why upload something that can possibly be altered by external sources, why not provide us 'download' links to these already "proper HD video clips" so we can view it in our devices instead of streaming it from a web browser.

----
    I dont want to side track this whole thread because this is about a hardware related screen issue and the video clipping issue has its own dedicated thread which is here so for anyone interested on resuming the discussion about this clipping please do so at the correct thread and I will also respond there for any comments regarding my post.

If anyone finds my post above meaningful, incorrect or whatever please comment up and let me know where Im wrong. Just post up in a civil manner.
    Hello all ,

I've got a Note for a week now and altough it's an amoled screen , i've tried every kind of video from avi to mkv ( 720 p quality ) and even reencoded files to mp4 or h264. But black aren't deep black and more dark grey , sometimes even pixelated ( blocks ). I even got the impression that this was also sometimes the case with some games ( for instance the opening sequence in Asphalt 6 HD ).
    Is this normal with Samsung devices and is there a way to improve this.

Thanks

You are describing video with "bad" gamma. It is not the screen or the device it is your source material.

The "blocks" you see are compression artifacts. Most video you will get that is compressed will have this effect. If the demo video doesn't show these artifacts then it can't be the device. That of course doesn't rule out a dodgy video player app included with the device. Maybe that is sub par and has crappy coding of the codecs and makes bad video worse?

The reason you see them better on the note is because OLED screens will show shadow detail very well. A few stages above pure black will show up. Videos these days are calibrated, made and tweaked to look good on an LCD as it is the dominant tech and that is what the video makers are looking at while they adjust their settings. This means that colors and black levels adjusted to look good on an LCD may look like crap on an OLED.

On LCDs the backlight haze will often wash out these shadow details and crush the blacks so you won't see these artifacts as much.

You problem is that your screen is TOO good!

There lies a fault with the video player. There should be a gamma adjustment to be able to pull these "grays" closer to black.