• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] Voice Dialer for the N5, it is the Pits

Search This thread

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So I just got my N5 yesterday, love it, way faster and smoother than my S4, but the voice dialer is the $hits....this could be a game changer for me. Any advice on other voice dialers so I can keep my N5??????

HELP!!!!!:crying:

Reactions: anthonyly

n19htmare

Sep 27, 2007
So I just got my N5 yesterday, love it, way faster and smoother than my S4, but the voice dialer is the $hits....this could be a game changer for me. Any advice on other voice dialers so I can keep my N5??????

It would help A LOT if you explained WHAT the problem is rather then saying there is a problem...... don't even know what your issue is?

for me, this works fine.

say: OK GOOGLE
say: Call ********

Phone will call ....

What's the issue?

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It would help A LOT if you explained WHAT the problem is rather then saying there is a problem...... don't even know what your issue is?

for me, this works fine.

say: OK GOOGLE
say: Call ********

Phone will call ....

What's the issue?

LOL still upset...the voice dialer while paired by bluetooth using it my car with my Kenwood Navigation head unit DNX890HD. It just does not work well at all. It misses names, can`t find names that are in my contacts, adds digits on number dial....etc Contacts that S voice (on my Samsung Galaxy S4) would call with no issues what so ever do not work at all. It is poor at best. The issue is with the voice dialer over Bluetooth in the car...Ok Google now works just fine.

So anything I can do to get better results or another app to give me better results.

Hope that helps and adds more meat to the subject.

Last edited:

delon97

Aug 28, 2012
LOL still upset...the voice dialer while paired by bluetooth using it my car with my Kenwood Navigation head unit DNX890HD. It just does not work well at all. It misses names, can`t find names that are in my contacts, adds digits on number dial....etc Contacts that S voice (on my Samsung Galaxy S4) would call with no issues what so ever do not work at all. It is poor at best. The issue is with the voice dialer over Bluetooth in the car...Ok Google now works just fine.

So anything I can do to get better results or another app to give me better results.

It might be a kenwood related issue, It is working perfectly with the factory deck in my car.

cc16177

Mar 13, 2009

This sounds obvious but I thought i'd throw it out there anyways... have you gone into the settings and checked off the box that tells it to work through the bluetooth headset? It may just be using the mic on the phone which is why it's messing up so bad.

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This sounds obvious but I thought i'd throw it out there anyways... have you gone into the settings and checked off the box that tells it to work through the bluetooth headset? It may just be using the mic on the phone which is why it's messing up so bad.

Yup it is activated...still the $hits...trying a app called klets, will see if that is any better. Do not mind paying for one if it works!!

Reactions: NCguy

n19htmare

Sep 27, 2007
Yup it is activated...still the $hits...trying a app called klets, will see if that is any better. Do not mind paying for one if it works!!

Wish I could help, but in my experience, Google's voice recognition is one of if not the best voice recognition software out there. I've used "OK Google" few times and few more times as a test and compared to others, it's excellent.

could be a possibility your BT mic just isn't picking it up..or isnt close enough.

How does it perform without bluetooth?

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Wish I could help, but in my experience, Google's voice recognition is one of if not the best voice recognition software out there. I've used "OK Google" few times and few more times as a test and compared to others, it's excellent.

could be a possibility your BT mic just isn't picking it up..or isnt close enough.

How does it perform without bluetooth?

I agree on its own in Google now it is really good...but hooked up to my Nav unit and it is the voice dialer which I think is different to Google now in some aspects...is the $hits. Klets works I have bought it and it does what Svoice dos on SGS4...I am happier now, just wished the built in one worked!!

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
In Google now settings, go to voice and check Bluetooth headset. Google Now will now be used instead of the dated "voice dailer."

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

I will try that, thought I did but was rushed. So when hooked to bluetooth then the screen will always have to stay on or activate when I press on the phone button on the nav unit? Will give it a try.

Klets works fine, but would love to get google now...

BigOkie

Mar 21, 2011
Tulsa
It might be a kenwood related issue, It is working perfectly with the factory deck in my car.

Same here...using Dodge/Chrysler's UConnect and I haven't had a single problem save for the same problem with some of my contacts not being able to be dialed using "Name, Home". It consistently boots me to that person's mobile number. That might be a google related issue or something else. Using numbers only hasn't given me any problems.

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So here is my dilemma, Google now works when the phone is unlocked and through the blue tooth on the nav unit with ok google...when I press the telephone button on the nav unit it then defaults to either google voice dialer (the old crappy one) or klets with the always or just once options.

So it works sort of.....

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC

I couldn't get the phone voice dialer or my old standby voice dialer called cyberon to work reliably on the N5 and my sony mw600 bluetooth headset. Cyberon worked fairly reliably on my old galaxy nexus but not on the N5.

I really thought that there was a bug in the N5 kitkat which would hose any bluetooth voice dialer. At your suggestion I just loaded klets and wow, it seems to work wonderfully!

I need some time with it but I am very encouraged. Caanda45 I can't thank you enough for your remarks :D

Reactions: caanda45

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I couldn't get the phone voice dialer or my old standby voice dialer called cyberon to work reliably on the N5 and my sony mw600 bluetooth headset. Cyberon worked fairly reliably on my old galaxy nexus but not on the N5.

I really thought that there was a bug in the N5 kitkat which would hose any bluetooth voice dialer. At your suggestion I just loaded klets and wow, it seems to work wonderfully!

I need some time with it but I am very encouraged. Caanda45 I can't thank you enough for your remarks :D

NP glad it worked...I have ended up getting rid of my N5 but klets is a pretty good app. Any app that will let you try it free for 7 days is a good app in my books...

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC

When I tried ok google for dialing I seem to recall there was no verification. I don't think I could rate a voice dialer as excellent without verification. I really don't want an old girlfriend asking me why I was calling her.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

NP glad it worked...I have ended up getting rid of my N5 but klets is a pretty good app. Any app that will let you try it free for 7 days is a good app in my books...

agreed. which phone did you settle on? Was it the voice dialing that caused you to switch?

n19htmare

Sep 27, 2007
When I tried ok google for dialing I seem to recall there was no verification. I don't think I could rate a voice dialer as excellent without verification. I really don't want an old girlfriend asking me why I was calling her.

---------- Post added at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

agreed. which phone did you settle on? Was it the voice dialing that caused you to switch?

I didn't say voice dialer was excellent.. I said the voice recognition was excellent.

As for verification, there is no "yes" "no" verification but there is a few second delay before it places a call, during which you can cancel if that's not the number you wanna dial.

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC
I didn't say voice dialer was excellent.. I said the voice recognition was excellent.

As for verification, there is no "yes" "no" verification but there is a few second delay before it places a call, during which you can cancel if that's not the number you wanna dial.

ok, I'll acknowledge your statement about the voice recognition. I just tried playing with the voice calling feature again to refresh my memory.
Many times ok google wasn't picked up. There is no voice verification yes/no as you stated and no repeat of who it was about to call. Yes there is a delay where you could kill it with touch but I saw no way to kill it with a voice command once it commenced. Having to kill it with touch completely misses the point of voice dialing.

While the name it picks seems to be accurate that's about the only useful thing I can say about it. Even then often it would pull the correct name but drop the "call" part of the command and instead do a default web search on the name.

IMO, the google now voice dialer is cute but practically useless as a serious voice dialing application.

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Believe it or not I got a Moto x and the notifications and touch less controls are outstanding!!! Solid phone, better speaker, no washed out picture off axis etc....The N5 is a powerhouse but as with most LG products, cheapo plastic....My S4 was better constructed.....just my opinion though...

NCguy

Jul 4, 2010
NC
Believe it or not I got a Moto x and the notifications and touch less controls are outstanding!!! Solid phone, better speaker, no washed out picture off axis etc....The N5 is a powerhouse but as with most LG products, cheapo plastic....My S4 was better constructed.....just my opinion though...

nice! what are you using for voice dialing on that device?

caanda45

Sep 10, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba
nice! what are you using for voice dialing on that device?

It uses the Google system not the old google crappy voice dialer but the new one that is in the nexus 5...so basically google now..works really well even when I press the phone button on the nav system it defaults to google now through the nav mic. My N5 would use the crappy old google voice dialer until I used klets. All in all happy that I got rid of the N5.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    In Google now settings, go to voice and check Bluetooth headset. Google Now will now be used instead of the dated "voice dailer."

Same issue here. I use this POS: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetooth-Hands-Free-BlackBerry-Smartphones/dp/B004CLYJ2I

Instigating a voice call with the BT adapter always brings up the ****ty voice command app instead of the google search (same with N4 and N5). There must be a way to make the phone associate the other app but alas no one appears to know how to do this.

Incidentally, I have had better luck with the ****ty voice app if I import all my contacts into google, but I refuse to do so.

I will try klets but I'm not done searching for how to make the BT call call the google search app instead of the ****ty voice command app.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 AM ----------

This is not true, at least for my BT device. It still used the voice command app that doesn't work.

As canada mentioned, the Moto X associates the correct app (google now voice search) with his BT device so there is NO reason we shouldn't be able to configure the N5 in the same way. Now to figure that out...

---------- Post added at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

OK boys I've figured out a workaround for this issue:

1. Download an app called Bluetooth Launch
    2. In that app, under Google Search, select com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.voicesearchactivity
    3. Next time you key up your BT device for a voice command, android will prompt you to choose either 'google search' or 'bluetooth launch'
    4. Select 'Bluetooth Launch' for Always and it will seamlessly launch the Google Now Voice search

Et Voila