[Q] What are the differences between the WiFi version and the LTE version?

Search This thread

Bogdacutu

Nov 5, 2012
I ordered a 16GB Shield Tablet last week from Amazon but they accidentally sent me the 32GB LTE version. I see that most of the development here is for the WiFi version, so I'm out of luck, as sending it back would likely cost more than the price difference. Are there any differences between these 2 versions (except the modem and storage size)? I would like to start working with this tablet (I won't have a SIM in it at all, if that makes things any simpler), but I don't have two tablets to compare so I'm hoping that there's someone here who knows more. (My original plan was to port MultiROM to it, then use that to run Linux, because it has full OpenGL support)

pyro9219

Oct 26, 2007
I ordered a 16GB Shield Tablet last week from Amazon but they accidentally sent me the 32GB LTE version. I see that most of the development here is for the WiFi version, so I'm out of luck, as sending it back would likely cost more than the price difference. Are there any differences between these 2 versions (except the modem and storage size)? I would like to start working with this tablet (I won't have a SIM in it at all, if that makes things any simpler), but I don't have two tablets to compare so I'm hoping that there's someone here who knows more. (My original plan was to port MultiROM to it, then use that to run Linux, because it has full OpenGL support)

If what you say is true, Amazon will correct their mistake at their cost, not yours. I'm also not sure about your situation, but it should cost $100 (the difference in the device pricing) to ship pretty much anywhere. If you were truly hard up, the USPS flat rate packages are only a few bucks for something the size of the Shield.

As far as the difference goes, there isn't anything different that I've seen anyone discuss other than possibly the ROM itself having support for the LTE chipset baked in (as well as the AT&T app).

Otherwise, I'd just be quite and happy that you saved $100 and/or have 16g extra space.

Reactions: Bogdacutu

Bogdacutu

Nov 5, 2012
As far as the difference goes, there isn't anything different that I've seen anyone discuss other than possibly the ROM itself having support for the LTE chipset baked in (as well as the AT&T app).

Hmm, does that mean that I can flash kernels and recoveries made for the Wi-Fi version on the LTE version (assuming that I don't need mobile Internet to work, and I'm not afraid of messing with the userdata partition if it accidentally gets formatted to 16GB)?

I'm in Europe (Romania to be more precise), and I ordered from amazon.de, there's no career bloatware as far as I can see anyway, and shipping it back would likely be more complicated than if I was in Germany (or maybe I'm just looking for excuses to keep it :)).

Thanks for the answer though!

pyro9219

Oct 26, 2007
Hmm, does that mean that I can flash kernels and recoveries made for the Wi-Fi version on the LTE version (assuming that I don't need mobile Internet to work, and I'm not afraid of messing with the userdata partition if it accidentally gets formatted to 16GB)?

I'm in Europe (Romania to be more precise), and I ordered from amazon.de, there's no career bloatware as far as I can see anyway, and shipping it back would likely be more complicated than if I was in Germany (or maybe I'm just looking for excuses to keep it :)).

Stating you ordered it from Germany sounds like an important thing that might have been useful in your first post :p I believe you are correct that there are no carrier apps on the international version. I know your radio supports a slightly different radio configuration as well.

Since you sound like you might have some experience with ROM's, you might want to consider going to the NVIDIA developer site and pulling down the ROM image so you can play around and see what makes it tick? You have to register for the site, but its free and seems like an excellent resource. https://developer.nvidia.com/develop4shield

That's about it for my help - good luck!

Reactions: Bogdacutu

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If what you say is true, Amazon will correct their mistake at their cost, not yours. I'm also not sure about your situation, but it should cost $100 (the difference in the device pricing) to ship pretty much anywhere. If you were truly hard up, the USPS flat rate packages are only a few bucks for something the size of the Shield.

Otherwise, I'd just be quite and happy that you saved $100 and/or have 16g extra space.

Stating you ordered it from Germany sounds like an important thing that might have been useful in your first post :p I believe you are correct that there are no carrier apps on the international version. I know your radio supports a slightly different radio configuration as well.

Since you sound like you might have some experience with ROM's, you might want to consider going to the NVIDIA developer site and pulling down the ROM image so you can play around and see what makes it tick? You have to register for the site, but its free and seems like an excellent resource. https://developer.nvidia.com/develop4shield

That's about it for my help - good luck!
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone