[Q] What are you wishing for in future roms/updates to improve your Xoom experience?

Search This thread

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
It's quiet in here while 3G Xooms are in transit getting their long-awaited 4G upgrade.:D

So what is coming down the road that you might feel excited about, or what is on your wishlist?
In this thread I'm not looking for a ***** session, but just an assessment of where we are in terms of software/OS and apps availability for the Xoom. I think we are all aware of any hardware limitations, so unless there may be software fixes, let's not dwell on that, OK?

Anyway, I'll start: I'm pretty happy with the Team Tiamat roms/kernels/recovery and I understand that Team Rogue makes some fantastic kernels/recoveries, too. So that's pretty good, considering Honeycomb Source code is not available.

My real need is smoother integration of productivity activities (file creation/editing/saving/sending/printing) and also design/drawing/paint applications--for my two main moneymaking activities.

I can use a whole bunch of apps but they don't work so well together.
Is there anything good to address this on the horizon?

Last edited:

hammer4203

Mar 1, 2010
I think google and microsoft need to get the crap together and integrate some office. I mean it would be nice to see the use of features we have and use at home/work on our pc. Adobe is doing it. MS and google (with all the patents they just bought) could make a lot of money and people happy. We could have xbox live, MS games, office apps that work with our jobs, actual ability to use the system to better our wants and needs. I would love to have android link with my google stuff and my pc stuff.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
+1 for me!

I read somewhere that the average Android user doesn't want to pay for apps. Don't know if it's true, but will that impede MS entry into Android market?

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
My want/need is very simple. I would love to see a few arrow keys on the keyboards. Rereading emails, texts, etc is a pain to edit without them.
I use the Hacker's Keyboard. it is configured just like a pc keyboard with arrow keys!

It also splits in half like the thumb keyboard and has a dedicated number pad mode. Sometimes a bit funky in regular keyboard mode when entering numbers, but overall, works great.:D

Last edited:

Psychokitty

Jan 8, 2011
Great thread!

I'm very pleased so far, especially considering source hasn't been dropped. Overclocking & undervolting are HUGE to me, adding to an already great charge time as well as an already great CPU power.
I don't know if this is simply a software issue that hasn't been done, or what, but I would really LOVE to see drag n' drop on a file browser. That would really be the icing on the 'productivity cake" for me.
Looking back at the Droid 1 development days, I see that the devs have really enabled quite a bit considering they don't have the SC. Aside of customization regarding font, color, c, I really don't know what else is possible.
As I said, I'm very pleased so far, so even if there were no further great strides to be made, I would not be disappointed with whatever the development teams come out with.

hchxoom

Apr 27, 2011
Overall very happy. In addition to the wish for functioning office apps (I have purchased all of them and use each for different functions to fill the gaps), I'd like to see an app (or, better yet, an OS function) that allows 10 or more tablets in a room (around the board table) to talk directly to each other. I want to be able to run a meeting showing the presentation on each (one tab driving), yet allowing each to take advantage of multitasking so that an individual could slip out of the presentation to retrieve a file from dropbox, pull an email, schedule an appt, etc.

madamimadam

Jan 23, 2011
Atlanta
I'm pretty happy with the Team Tiamat roms/kernels/recovery and I understand that Team Rogue makes some fantastic kernels/recoveries, too. So that's pretty good, considering Honeycomb Source code is not available.
My real need is smoother integration of productivity activities (file creation/editing/saving/sending/printing) and also design/drawing/paint applications--for my two main moneymaking activities.

You took the words out of my mouth. I measure and draw countertops for kitchens all day long and would like to see an app that I could use to draw them on, kinda like a dumbed down auto cad that you could use a picture or graph paper as a background.

Also the device lags a bit with anything other than a static background enabled, seemslike it should be snappier all around and I wish the keyboard would keep up better.

I love the work the folks here have done so far with this device and I understand that some stuff probably won't/can't be addressed, but those are my desires for the device.

And I want to be able to swipe the bottom bar away, or long press a corner or something.

okantomi

Feb 20, 2011
Boston, MA
You took the words out of my mouth. I measure and draw countertops for kitchens all day long and would like to see an app that I could use to draw them on, kinda like a dumbed down auto cad that you could use a picture or graph paper as a background.

Also the device lags a bit with anything other than a static background enabled, seemslike it should be snappier all around and I wish the keyboard would keep up better.

I love the work the folks here have done so far with this device and I understand that some stuff probably won't/can't be addressed, but those are my desires for the device.

And I want to be able to swipe the bottom bar away, or long press a corner or something.
These are all seriously great ideas. I'm not any kind of developer but it seems like some of these suggestions could be accomplished. I would love a way to draw with a stylus and have the line actually coming from a "point" the way I normally draw with a pen. I know that some apps have less lag and some stylii approximate a point but it just doesn't feel quite right. I would also like to see improved handwriting to OCR.

solarnz

Retired Recognized Developer
May 23, 2010
Sydney
I'm also interested in what people would like out of their custom rom.
Obviously we can't do everything at the moment and not everything is feasible, but it's always good to have feedback :)

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
Tiamat makes Xoom zoom. No complaints there just kudos and gratitude. As for wishing...I wish annotation intigration for both capacitive and digitized displays was universally incorporated throughout OS and apps.

...xoom posted...

kuroguy

Apr 28, 2011
simple. I'd like to see support for usb to serial devices such as those using the pl2303 chip. I could use my zoom for hacking/servicing many devices such as the slug, routers, switches, etc. It would allow me to stop carrying a notebook computer.

HuckFinn

Jul 22, 2008
Chicago
How about a proper hack for 3g USB dongle support? I only managed to tether my wifi xoom to my nexus one.

I think there is some support for 3G dongles, you might have to hit up the devs to find out the details. I know Solarnz helped me get my 4G WiMax dongle working. My modified standard dock, which now has a full-sized USB host port, and my 4G dongle make a great combination along with the BT keyboard and mouse.

bigrushdog

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 23, 2007
simple. I'd like to see support for usb to serial devices such as those using the pl2303 chip. I could use my zoom for hacking/servicing many devices such as the slug, routers, switches, etc. It would allow me to stop carrying a notebook computer.

Done. Ill up it tomorrow for testing.

ok guys, give it a run

http://goo.gl/MhIBX

Last edited:
Reactions: okantomi

buzzdroidx

May 20, 2009
San Clemente
I would like to see some kind of messaging capability without having to do a bunch of hacks to get there, and maybe good codec support written in for the stock video player, eliminating the need to try out every video app in the market to find one that works...maybe a built in note taking app and some other clocks. I really do hate the tron clock

StrifeSoldierVII

Mar 3, 2011
I would like to see multiple user support much like Windows. Have a main logon screen at boot up with the all the users names and their icon, along with a password on each to keep the accounts locked. Possibly a guest account for other people who don't use your tablet a lot, but would like to play something.

This is something that is badly needed. A tablet is a device that can be shared by more than one user. If it is a family tablet it would be great to have multiple user accounts to log into with. Each account would have custom settings and apps for that user, just like Windows. The new tablets have plenty of memory to handle multiple users with multiple app installs.

Also needed for this to work: Admin + parental controls throughout the entire OS for people who are not the tablet admin. Comes in handy so that the minor users can not mess up the tablet for the owner/admin of the tablet. The minor users will not have the proper permissions to mess with anything root and such.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone