[Q] What is baidu folder for ?

Search This thread

swat4samp

Feb 5, 2012
Even I had that baidu folder.. I deleted it just now.. No idea which app created it :eek:

A Google search returns that it's competing google when it comes to search engines..
Yup, me too. That's why i was wondering if there is any app which shows details of the folders created by that.

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Yup, me too. That's why i was wondering if there is any app which shows details of the folders created by that.

Post a screen shot of all your apps and I'll do the same... let us compare them.. LOL.. we ought to find the culprit eventually :silly::D

PM me if you're ok with sharing it. :good:

Edit:
@swat4samp

Do you have the latest Antutu Beta installed? I think that might be the culprit.. :rolleyes:

Reactions: swat4samp

swat4samp

Feb 5, 2012
Post a screen shot of all your apps and I'll do the same... let us compare them.. LOL.. we ought to find the culprit eventually :silly::D

PM me if you're ok with sharing it. :good:

Edit:
@swat4samp

Do you have the latest Antutu Beta installed? I think that might be the culprit.. :rolleyes:
Nope, never after having nexus 5 on my hands had i installed those benchmark apps. I will get easily offended if it shows less score than compared to others lol
Ok I just checked that folder and its empty :eek: After looking at properties tab in es xplorer, its showing the last modified date as 4th aug which means i have absolutely no idea what rom and what apps i installed at that time :p or i don't know if it's really modified at that date itself. I will delete that folder now, will open all apps at a time and check if its created again. :cool:

Reactions: vin4yak

audiadi

Aug 25, 2014
To those that thought it *might* be ES File Explorer - I salute you. My research:

TBH this sketched me out. I deleted the directory and tried a bunch of apps to try and find the culprit (my instinct said Viper's Audio, but it wasn't). Then I did a root search of my phone for the word "baidu." I used CM11's file explorer rather than a 3rd party app. Here's what came up: In folder /data/data/com.estrongs.android.pop/shared_prefs is a file: __Baidu_Stat_SDK_SendRem.xml. When I look at the XML it's pretty simple. It's sending a logfile. I don't know what it's sending a log of-that bothers me.

I also did a little more background research. Apparently one of Baidu's founders is an angel investor in EStrongs. I hate to say it, but this might compel me to stop using ES FileExplorer even though it's a great app...

Do with this information what you will.

Oh, one more thing, I tried a search for "baidu" using ES, it didn't find the xml file... Really strange.

Anderson2

Feb 25, 2012
FWIW, I deleted mine 5 days ago when I discovered it. It had been written to 3 days earlier.
I've since used all my usual apps including ES Explorer and Baidu folder has not returned.

Atomix86

Jul 5, 2011
To those that thought it *might* be ES File Explorer - I salute you. My research:

TBH this sketched me out. I deleted the directory and tried a bunch of apps to try and find the culprit (my instinct said Viper's Audio, but it wasn't). Then I did a root search of my phone for the word "baidu." I used CM11's file explorer rather than a 3rd party app. Here's what came up: In folder /data/data/com.estrongs.android.pop/shared_prefs is a file: __Baidu_Stat_SDK_SendRem.xml. When I look at the XML it's pretty simple. It's sending a logfile. I don't know what it's sending a log of-that bothers me.

I also did a little more background research. Apparently one of Baidu's founders is an angel investor in EStrongs. I hate to say it, but this might compel me to stop using ES FileExplorer even though it's a great app...

Oh, one more thing, I tried a search for "baidu" using ES, it didn't find the xml file... Really strange.

Oh dear, looks like I won't be using ES File Explorer any more! Thank you for the info. Does anybody know a quality alternative to es?

Sent from my HTC One S using XDA Free mobile app

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
It's funny because I use es and don't have this magical folder.... It must be some setting you enabled in the app for it to create that folder, because I don't see it on any of my devices

Edit: for those that seem to be overly concerned about it, have a look in the settings of es, specifically search settings... Baidu is an option for search. Baidu appears to only be used if you select it. Go through your settings.

#stayparanoid

Last edited:
Reactions: afolex

audiadi

Aug 25, 2014
It's funny because I use es and don't have this magical folder.... It must be some setting you enabled in the app for it to create that folder, because I don't see it on any of my devices

Edit: for those that seem to be overly concerned about it, have a look in the settings of es, specifically search settings... Baidu is an option for search. Baidu appears to only be used if you select it. Go through your settings.

#stayparanoid

Pirateghost - Understood: user error is always a possibility. However, my settings have been Google since day 1. I never selected Baidu as a search provider in ES - actually anywhere. FWIW - after deleting the folder it hasn't come back yet. (Despite my current skepticism of ES, I haven't removed it yet) I've opened/closed ES a number of times, rebooted etc. I'm waiting to see if the Baidu folder returns. I'd never want to jump to a conclusion too hastily and malign devs that are doing good work. Not my goal at all. Also, for the record, I do not have a competing app or any other financial stake in this.

Could the fact that you don't have the folder be that we're running different versions of something?

My device: rooted T989 (hercules) Running: CM11 Nightly 8-23 (aka kk 4.4.4) ES File Explorer Ver: 3.1.9.1 Also, running ES Task Mgr 1.4.2. (looked through all the task mgr settings - didn't see any references to baidu)

leandronb

Sep 27, 2012
Teresina
i just unlocked my htc m8 bootloader and this folder appeared. also it appeared in a friend's nexus 4 after i flashed stock 4.4.4. looks like is ES file manager.

gamer.11

Dec 11, 2012
Ernakulam

opssemnik

Jun 10, 2013
Porto Alegre,Rio Grande Do Sul,Brasil
chill out, any app that uses baidu´s sdk will have the folder, the most common to be is es file explorer, you can delete and it wont come back unti you clear the data of the app that uses it, or if the app itself calls the sdk again. a lot of these apps that use, will check your location to see if they can use google or baidu, they do that on the first time you run, so deleting the folder will not harm anything, but it will re appear if you clear the data of the app or install another app that also uses baidu´s sdk

faria

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Feb 24, 2006
Jersey

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

its not one, but many different apps/themes install it if not already in the phone. stop freaking out. if you dont like it, delete it. if it comes back, then its one of the apps that you are now using.
    MIUI Launcher/Theme

It's part of the MIUI launcher/theme. I have the same folder on the root of my sdcard (along w/ a 'tempdata' folder inside containing .dat and .db files). I got one of the .dat files to open with Notepad on my PC and could see it was MIUI. I installed the MIUI launcher awhile back - so this explains the orphaned dir for me. Hope this helps someone else looking.
    Sony say it's server based in China used to track lost phones. They have it in their phones for that reason. It's not spyware or malware. It may be linked to the Google phone finder. I took it out anyway. No problems

Sent from my Nexus 5

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

Darn! Ignorance was bliss. ?

I have AFWall. Would love to know how to create such a script. I'll search. If you find out, please share.

Xprivacy useful here?

Fwiw, I have location and all syncs permanently turned off on my phone. Any other privacy Illusions I should abandon.....?

You can turn the radio off for ES with JRummys Toolbox pro. That would stop it chatting. Better take ES out and use the root file Explorer in the above app, or TWR

Sent from my Nexus 5
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone