[Q] What made you choose your Black/Grey one S

Search This thread

hija31

Jul 15, 2008
What was the reason that made you choose a Black One S instead of the Grey one, or vice-versa !!!

Was it the looks, the coating ......... ???

I want to pre-order the One S but did not have the chance to see the phones in real to make a decision. :mad: ( release date in the Netherlands 25-27 April )

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
I only got Grey because thats what was sent to me lol. But i like it, and if i had a choice i probably would have chose grey.

It feels really nice and smooth ( a bit too smooth) Its hard to keep a grip on it, I really need a case for it, I can see me dropping it within the next few weeks.

But i think grey is the better colour, It has the blue camera ring which looks awesome. The coating is like Gun metal its just the best IMO.

noble8

Jun 8, 2010
Black with the red camera ring is just pure eye candy in my eyes.
htc-one-s.jpg

rootrider

Aug 21, 2010
Starnberg
T-mobile Germany simply doesn't have the grey ones - so I had to order the black one. Got it and started loving the way it looks even switched off. It's still a black beauty.

I had to take the pic without flashlight so its not too good. :eek:

Attachments

• CIMG1513.JPG
    CIMG1513.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 951
Last edited:

h.han

Feb 28, 2011
London
Maybe I am not the best person to answer your question cos I don't have either black or grey one yet, but I did play with both of them couple of times already.
Black is, simply awsome IMO, perfect colour nice feel in hand, only downside is the material chipping problem so waiting for a final solution before getting one.
However, if black is not an option, grey is not bad at all, personally I don't mind the colour of the body just the ring colour of the camera looks a bit not my style but I am sure I can be used to it.
Yes, due to differnt material, the grey one is a bit slippery in hand indeed so may need a case unlike the black one which just sticks to your palm.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using XDA

Reactions: QuintusDias

Tecardo

Nov 22, 2011
Pfofeld
Black, because it feels better and T-Mobile Germany doesn't have any of the grey.
Holded the grey one and it's colder and not so stoney in the hand, more like metal :D

QuintusDias

Sep 16, 2010
Groningen
Maybe I am not the best person to answer your question cos I don't have either black or grey one yet, but I did play with both of them couple of times already.
Black is, simply awsome IMO, perfect colour nice feel in hand, only downside is the material chipping problem so waiting for a final solution before getting one.
However, if black is not an option, grey is not bad at all, personally I don't mind the colour of the body just the ring colour of the camera looks a bit not my style but I am sure I can be used to it.
Yes, due to differnt material, the grey one is a bit slippery in hand indeed so may need a case unlike the black one which just sticks to your palm.

Now I just want the black one more! Hope htc is gonna figure this out soon..

Sent from my GT-S5660 using XDA

hija31

Jul 15, 2008
I thank you all, for the reply .

The One S and X are the first phones since the Desire ( I had some and seen allot ) that brought back the feeling:
:cool::cool::cool::cool:
"I want this mother f...... "

The HOX is to big and I don't have much trust in T3, so I've decided for HOS.

This is the impression I get from the photos.

The grey one looks more stylish on the front view. The black screen pumps out the grey corners which is really eye caching and more stylish.
But I don't like the back. The difference between the alu. body and the plastic covers ( top and bottom ) is to big , while at the black one is more in one tone.
And than is that MAO "thing", which I hope that HTC will get the grip on it and fix it.

Anyway, I decided to wait two more weeks to get one. The release date here, or the 28th when I go to Germany.

Thanks again.

mattionline

Jan 10, 2012
Got a black at first but after "paint" chipping problems got it exchanged for a Grey model...

Which one do you like better in terms of feeling and overall look ?

Initially I ordered the black ceramic but changed it to the grey metal version when I heard about those chipping problems.
Mine will be shipped at the end of April (27th) , so should I risk to take the black one ? For me colour doesn't really matter, as long as it's durable and feels good in the hand...

mattionline

Jan 10, 2012
Are they both grippy and fingerprint-free or is there any difference?

The grey one on those pictures looks really weird, I thought the metal was more like dark grey instead of light (brownish) grey.

azzledazzle

Dec 12, 2010
XDA Sucks !
Maybe its the pic itself, Its like a gun metal grey, I have it and i love it..

I prefer it over the black one, Because it looks more rugged. As said above the black feel a bit 'plasticky'

As for fingerprint, The screen is just like any other really, It does show up finger marks, But the back doesnt.

Ive got a screen protector on mine, Its 'finger mark proof' It works well too ! A screen protector is a must have for me for any phone. I dont believe anything is 'scratch poof'

The Grey version is a little too smooth, Its hard to grip (well it is for me, My palms dont sweat - a result from a previous operation)

I dont know how the black feels in hand but overall the grey is the better version :D

alex_oO

Feb 18, 2011
At first, I wanted the black one (I like the design of it), but then I heard about the problems with the micro arc oxidation, so I decided to take the blue one. The performance is very good, it fits well in my pocket, I like it :D

wilcoholic

Jul 26, 2010
I wanted the grey one from the start. I know how anodized aluminum feels like and I love that type of material.

But the store that I went to only had the black one and I just couldn't wait. Like others said it feels kind of like plastic. That soft rubberized plastic that they also used on the HD2.

Only when you knock on it, scratch your nail on it or when its cold, do you know thats its metal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Now I just want the black one more! Hope htc is gonna figure this out soon..

Sent from my GT-S5660 using XDA

If it was me who made you want the black one even more, I think I should be honest with you especially at this moment cos I am more inclined to the grey one.
    I visited two shops today again to see the grey and black version, the more I looked at the grey one the more I felt strong about it.
    The black one is still very attractive, but I found I am a bit tired of the black-black-black-always-black colour (just me though).
    BUT, a BIG BUT, the grey one is soooo slippery that I almost dropped it within 2 mins of playing it in the shop. So a case or full body protector is a must have IMO.

I am still in the process of making my mind and sorry if I dragged you back in the middle again after reading this :p
    Is it really that slippery?
    No way I would put a case on it, that's ugly as it makes the phone thicker and destroys it's design :p

HTC One S Review - Pocket-lint

Yes, it is really that slippery.

From the review it said some lines around the side, I did not particularly look for lines when I was in the shop today. However, I did put the phone in my jeans pocket and pull it out. That was the moment I felt it really slippery cos it took me 3 attempts.

To help you understand my point, try pull your phone as normal as possible from your pocket. The way I did was putting index finger and middle finger on the back of the phone, and thumb on the front and clipped, then tried to pull it out. I did not grip the whole thing with my palm cos imagine the phone is not that small so you don't have much space left in your pocket. The front screen was ok gave you some friction but the back was slippery as ice cube. It just did not come out!!!

Just holding it in your hand is less problematic but if you are one hand operator as I am, it could be a issue cos, unless you have huge hand, you will need to move the phone in order to reach all the corners. That's when "those lines" in the review may not help you. You just cannot grip the side of the phone but keep the phone laying on your palm and push it slightly towards the opposite direction of the corner you want to reach by using either middle finger or index finger (I tried to describe it as realistic as possible here :) ). Then, because the back is super smooth and the gravity of our earth mother, it slips! That's what happened to me in the shop, luckily I knew it may drop so was well prepared but still a bit risky:(

Damn! I just almost made my mind to go for the grey one, but all what I just said made me wobbling again!!

Anyway, my point is, it is slippery thanks to the well polished back metal which at the same time looks really really nice! So get a case or something like Zagg invisible shield to increase the gripping. Otherwise, buy insurance in advance and be careful.

Cheers...huuu...
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone