[Q] what triggers "TAMPERED", "SECURITY WARNING", and red text on boot

Search This thread

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Inactive Recognize
May 26, 2010
Beirut
[Q] what triggers "TAMPERED", "SECURITY WARNING", and red text on boot

Hi Guys and Gals,

So I'm really trying to understand what triggers "TAMPERED", "SECURITY WARNING" (though I haven't seen it), and the red text on bootup, and how to undo them.

It was my general understanding that these are caused by a custom recovery, and in theory should disappear when you relfash stock rom and stock recovery, and possibly relock booltoader.

For some this seems to work, for others not.

I'm not looking for the methods using S-Off, such as revone -t or modified hboots. Just the general requirements (short of running RUU), that would allow these flags to go back to normal.

Thanks

Last edited:

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
The tampered flag seems to pop up when you're using a non-stock recovery, or have changed something in the ROM. Same with the red warning text on the splash screen. As soon as you flash a custom recovery (but leave the ROM 100% stock) you get the 'this is a test build, etc.' warning come up

If you're S-OFF, there are guides in General on how to remove these warnings (and not using revone too), e.g. to remove the tampered label, read this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2477792

Reactions: nkk71

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
The tampered flag seems to pop up when you're using a non-stock recovery, or have changed something in the ROM. Same with the red warning text on the splash screen. As soon as you flash a custom recovery (but leave the ROM 100% stock) you get the 'this is a test build, etc.' warning come up

Agreed, but shouldn't going back to a 100% stock ROM and 100% stock RECOVERY, remove the "this is a test build" and TAMPERED. or do these stay in either case because you did "at one point in time" use a custom recovery?
I've read people returning to stock, where these have gone away, and for other people they stayed.

I know you can achieve this with S-Off, but I'm just trying to understand the basic "logic" of these warnings, and when (and when not) they will appear.

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
I'm bumping this for more info. Still no conclusive results. :(

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

cschmitt

Feb 24, 2012
Unsigned kernel or recovery causes tampered warning, flashing RUU will clear tampered.

Sent from a van down by the river.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you're S-OFF, there are guides in General on how to remove these warnings (and not using revone too), e.g. to remove the tampered label, read this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2477792
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone