[Q] Which roms and kernel should I use

Search This thread

cloud1250000

Jul 4, 2011
Ottawa
Hello :)

It's been a while since I've got my htc one and I was waiting for the release of the stock 4.3 firmware before going into the custom world. Unfortunately, it's been quite some times now and I'm pretty tired of waiting.

So which rom should I take as a daily driver.. I'd like to be able to control tv (so I think I need to look into stock based roms?)
I'd also like to put a custom kernel and to be sure there is no problem betwen the rom and the kernel :)

So I was thinking about Android revolution and elementalx (no **** ahah) or can you suggest some?

is there a big chance that android revolution will be updated to 4.3?

(I'm still on 4.1.2)

Thank you!

Ps. What's s rev-on?

Morganmachine91

Nov 6, 2012
This thread's probably going to get closed because some people here are a little sensitive about people asking for ROM suggestions, but before it does... I LOVE ARHD and Elimentalx kernel lol. They're both super srabel, which on a phone like this with its awesome stock set up is a necessity for me... There's just no incentives for me to flash a custom ROM that's gonna be anything but perfect when stock is so close to perfect itself...

I get great battery life, performance, and stability. So that's my suggestion :)

And if you're talking about s-on, that means that certain partitions of your internal memory are still locked... You can still flash a custom rom, but you wouldn't be able to update your firmware or anything like that without getting s-off first.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

Matt

Feb 4, 2012
Nottingham, UK
This thread's probably going to get closed because some people here are a little sensitive about people asking for ROM suggestions, but before it does... I LOVE ARHD and Elimentalx kernel lol. They're both super srabel, which on a phone like this with its awesome stock set up is a necessity for me... There's just no incentives for me to flash a custom ROM that's gonna be anything but perfect when stock is so close to perfect itself...

I get great battery life, performance, and stability. So that's my suggestion :)

And if you're talking about s-on, that means that certain partitions of your internal memory are still locked... You can still flash a custom rom, but you wouldn't be able to update your firmware or anything like that without getting s-off first.

You can update your firmware without S-Off. Android Revolution is stable because it's boring, just like stock. I'd recommend Viper Rom due to the vast customisation options, and it's just as stable. As for the kernel, stock kernel is best for most people. It's the perfect blend between battery and performance. Custom kernels such as ElementalX overclocked to 1.8/9GHz will give better performance but will drain your battery faster.

Everything can be done without S-Off. All S-Off is good for is changing your CID, MID, removing tampered from boot loader, and easily unlocking/locking without wiping anything or alerting HTC to your request of an unlock token.

Morganmachine91

Nov 6, 2012
You can update your firmware without S-Off. Android Revolution is stable because it's boring, just like stock. I'd recommend Viper Rom due to the vast customisation options, and it's just as stable. As for the kernel, stock kernel is best for most people. It's the perfect blend between battery and performance. Custom kernels such as ElementalX overclocked to 1.8/9GHz will give better performance but will drain your battery faster.

Everything can be done without S-Off. All S-Off is good for is changing your CID, MID, removing tampered from boot loader, and easily unlocking/locking without wiping anything or alerting HTC to your request of an unlock token.

I flashed viper and messed around with it for a couple days and it was just a little too stuttery and I had apps force closing every once in a while... Tried a clean wipe, and still a couple problems.. Nothing huge or intolerable, I just value performance over the colorful theming and fun appearance settings of viper, but that's just my opinion and experience ... Everyone is different.

And I wouldn't worry about bricking... Being stuck on 4.1 sucks lol so if you wanna stay close to stock, arhd with stock kernel is the way to go. As long as you stay s-off and don't mess with your hboot (and always read read read before you do anything) you'll be fine.

cloud1250000

Jul 4, 2011
Ottawa
Thank you for your reply ahah

Well so I'm like a noob because of my poor skills with english then...

I don't mind going with miui or cm10.. but I really love the remote control app ahh

Also, I want to do the s-off thing because.. I'd like to install ubuntu when it will be stable enough ahah

And i'd like to have the s2w function ;)

Oh! I'm also very tired of the touch menu button on the bottom of many app... Dunno if stock have solved this tough.

Thanks again!

jags_the1

Aug 26, 2010
Hello :)

It's been a while since I've got my htc one and I was waiting for the release of the stock 4.3 firmware before going into the custom world. Unfortunately, it's been quite some times now and I'm pretty tired of waiting.

So which rom should I take as a daily driver.. I'd like to be able to control tv (so I think I need to look into stock based roms?)
I'd also like to put a custom kernel and to be sure there is no problem betwen the rom and the kernel :)

So I was thinking about Android revolution and elementalx (no **** ahah) or can you suggest some?

is there a big chance that android revolution will be updated to 4.3?

(I'm still on 4.1.2)

Thank you!

Ps. What's s rev-on?

if you want no problems then you have to stick to stock kernels and rom.

android revolution is just another fancy name of a stock rom with minor tweaks Incorporated from other developers (such as APM). so thats the only rom which might fit your needs and has stock kernel too. actually there is nothing which is revolutionary in that rom... lol.
note : i am not a hater of that rom, but there is nothing i like about it too and it did sound funny so i wrote. anyways chill out arhd lovers :p.

Last edited:

ryanfsdf

Mar 9, 2012
the best rom is stock and the best kernel is stock. you sound like a man who will end up with a brick so i'd stick with stock

I found this extremely funny. Anyways, I suggest getting ARHD with its stock kernel. Personally, I like GE roms but I cannot overclock on 4.3 because elementalx is not out :(.

jags_the1

Aug 26, 2010
Thank you for your reply ahah

Well so I'm like a noob because of my poor skills with english then...

I don't mind going with miui or cm10.. but I really love the remote control app ahh

Also, I want to do the s-off thing because.. I'd like to install ubuntu when it will be stable enough ahah

And i'd like to have the s2w function ;)

Oh! I'm also very tired of the touch menu button on the bottom of many app... Dunno if stock have solved this tough.

Thanks again!

lol.. and miui .. cm and ubuntu will never be stable.
cm is just for flasholics.. and it might not fit your needs
i doubt miui will ever be stable on this phone and ubuntu is just out of question.

stick with stock, enjoy life and have beers.

IINexusII

Nov 8, 2010
I found this extremely funny. Anyways, I suggest getting ARHD with its stock kernel. Personally, I like GE roms but I cannot overclock on 4.3 because elementalx is not out :(.

yeah ok if the OP REALLY wants to do it and knows what he's getting into, then id recommend ARHD.

i'd recommend S-OFF first, then it gives options later

cloud1250000

Jul 4, 2011
Ottawa
So Ubuntu touch will never be good on this phone :/ sad news ahah

Okay... I'll stick with stock roms then or arhd... I do like aosp roms too... But since nobody suggested one.. seems like I need to use stock to fully use this phone.. another sad news ahah...

Nofrills vs setcpu?

Anyway.. thank you then..

IINexusII

Nov 8, 2010
So Ubuntu touch will never be good on this phone :/ sad news ahah

Okay... I'll stick with stock roms then or arhd... I do like aosp roms too... But since nobody suggested one.. seems like I need to use stock to fully use this phone.. another sad news ahah...

Nofrills vs setcpu?

Anyway.. thank you then..

get S-OFF first, then you can try ARHD 12.3...

and if you want logo2wake then i recommend tbaldens 2.1.5 kernel

cloud1250000

Jul 4, 2011
Ottawa
I'm surprised my thread isn't closed yet.. but I'm happy since the htc one world is very different from the xperia ahah

and.. well ahah I didn't s-off since the only reason for me to s-off was to get ubuntu someday :/

Anyway, such a big difference in rom size vs the xperia play ahah 150mo for xplay vs 1go o,o

Thank you everyone for your reply :)

onizuka77

Jul 27, 2013
what's for S-OFF ? is it mandatory for installing custom rom ?
what's kernel ? what's the function, sorry for noob, I've read quite a lot threads on xda explaining this, but I don't get it in a simple way ??
still confuse....

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the best rom is stock and the best kernel is stock. you sound like a man who will end up with a brick so i'd stick with stock
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone