[Q] Who to root thsis one: Caterpillar S50, framaroot fails

Search This thread

noci2

Nov 7, 2014
Processor: Qualcomm MSM8926 Quad-core 1.2Ghz
Platform/OS: Android 4.4.2
Kernel: 3.4.0-gc6284e5-dirty
Buildnr: LTE_S0201121.0_S50_0.015.00

Framaroot shows Aragorn as only exploit (although this is not a Samsung) whichs fails with error #6.

Any advise on more testing that is available or other remedies & possibly known path to investigate?
(The device is new & out since oct, 1 2014)

There is more technical info on: http: // catphones.com / en-gb / phones / s50-smartphone /

Last edited:
Reactions: SAEED ANWER

Bolest

Nov 14, 2014
Cat s50 root

Hi,
Whenever you insert a micro SD card in the device, the device the same complains or can not connect to download images, videos, music ...
The device we complains micro sd card but can not do anything with it. From the Play Store I downloaded the app "ES File Explorer". When transferring the images from internal memory to micro sd card, notice was that it must be the root device.
How to root the device, have you anything to it?

Reactions: Sgxy33
Nov 14, 2014
Potsdam
external sd-card ist useable without root

You dont need root to use an external sd-card. But you cannot write directly into the external sd-card for security reasons. Only installed apps are allowed the store their data there.
When you insert the sd-card, android put a folder named Android/Data into the root-folder of the sd-card. Apps who are modified for external sd-card use, put their own folder in there, which is writable only for this app. For instance, my navigation app store its data to the external sd-card.

If you want to copy your music to the external sd-card, you have to use a computer. The phone is mounted as external device. Then drag and drop your mp3 to the external sd-card. I have made a folder Music on the external sd and copyied my mp3 collection in there.

Greetings

hannesausmwald

Last edited:

noci2

Nov 7, 2014
My original question about rooting the device is not for storing data on SD. It is more about controlling the device and be able to make a proper backup. Under my control.

So the question still is How to attack this problem. Searching leads to a lot of unusable approaches. (Mostly because they reference OLDer firmware. This firm ware is from last summer).

If more info is needed please indicate what is needed.

borstie22

Nov 16, 2014
Hi noci2,
I've succesfully rooted my S50 with Root Genius BUT new OTAs may not work.
In my case the new update (LTE_S0201121.0_S50_0.017.00_E01) has unrooted the phone and left it crippled (root is lost, partly removed and can't be gained till now and worst thing is: I can't update/root/unroot the phone hence I'm stuck with the 0.016 firmware). Anything else works fine so I'm just waiting for a stock rom + recovery / flash tool + image of the original firmware to undo the "damage" (no root and no updates).
kevin22

P.S.: I would be very grateful if anybody could support a backup image or something (one day) ;)

Nov 14, 2014
Potsdam
Hi noci2,
the new update (LTE_S0201121.0_S50_0.017.00_E01) ...
I would be very grateful if anybody could support a backup image or something (one day) ;)

New OTA? My baseband number is LTE_S0201121.0_S50_0.015.00 and a new update is not available till now via OTA (here in Europe/Germany) What is changed?

I would like to have a backup image too.

borstie22

Nov 16, 2014
Well, that's odd. I'm living in Germany, too.... maybe it depends on your carrier (mine is o2). In version 0.016 the Cat App Store was removed (I've contacted the support and they told me that it'll be back in 0.017 with some improvements). Further LTE was optimized (in 0.016).
Summary:
0.015 - base firmware
0.016 - first update (LTE improvements and Cat App Sotre removed)
0.017 - Cat App store should be back and maybe some minor changes (size is 45,4MB) ... and I can't test it :crying:
kevin22

Nov 14, 2014
Potsdam
Well, that's odd. I'm living in Germany, too.... maybe it depends on your carrier (mine is o2). In version 0.016 the Cat App Store was removed (I've contacted the support and they told me that it'll be back in 0.017 with some improvements). Further LTE was optimized (in 0.016).
Summary:
0.015 - base firmware
0.016 - first update (LTE improvements and Cat App Sotre removed)
0.017 - Cat App store should be back and maybe some minor changes (size is 45,4MB) ... and I can't test it :crying:
kevin22
Hi Kevin,

I am also an o2 - customer, so that cannot be the reason. I will contact the support. Maybe they can tell me whats wrong.

Greetings
Hannes

herdt

Dec 23, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm on 0.016 as well and it shows me I can upgrade to 0.017, but it always fails (download - reboot - after reboot there is a message in notification area, saying that upgrade failed). Do you know more about this?

Regards

noci2

Nov 7, 2014
I'm in Holland, no OTA available
mine only gives "server error" when explicitely checking if an update is available.

borstie22

Nov 16, 2014
Hi herdt,
I've got exactly the same problem with the update. Seems like my "partly rooted" ROM isn't the troublemaker after all. Maybe there's a flaw in the OTA itself?

Reactions: rmos ana

jaajog

May 10, 2010
Hi!

I am in Estonia and today I got my first update (had .15). It installed successfully and now I have _0.017.00. I had only tried rooting it before with towelroot which failed.
Framaroot still shows Aragorn as only option. Towelroot fails.

Cat appstore looks the same.

Kernel version: 3.4.0-gd73c047-dirty

Nov 20, 2014
Hey guys!
Same problem in Switzerland. Unrooted so far (though have been desperately trying to). No OTA yet, still on 015. OTA update doesn't complain when checking for updates, just saying that none are available. Had to turn off LTE since it has been pretty volatile.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2014
Potsdam
I will contact the support. Maybe they can tell me whats wrong.
I wrote to support and asked about the OTA 0.017.00 The support-staff member wrote me back, that this update is only available via OTA, but not for all regions. The availability depends on the CID-Number which is displayed when you call the #02# (Mine is E01) When the update is available I will get a push message.
On my further askings, on which point in time I will get the OTA and about the purpose to upgrade the phone to Android 4.4.4 or 5, comes nothing concretely. Version 0.015.00 is up-to-date, wrote the staff-member, and I will get a push message. Upgrades are not decided till now.

But when it is up-to-date, why we have other users like borstie22, who has got 0.016.00 via OTA?

borstie22

Nov 16, 2014
I think they are momentarily a little bit confused themselves. My S50 is also E01 and I get an update notification (0.017) but the support told me that 0.016 is the current E01 firmware yada yada yada ("you'll get a push message when the time has come").
Once again: I think we need the help of some clever xda-developers to unleash the true performance of this phone and it's software (Bullitt seems to be somewhat overchallenged with that).
borstie22

Nov 20, 2014
Got the E01 (0.015) as well, no updates so far. I'm really looking forward for it since it will hopefully solve the terrible LTE instability I'm experiencing, in general the network (voice as well) is much worse than my old nexus 4. Do you guys made the same experience or is yours stable? I already asked for a 2nd (new) SIM but got the same flakiness. I guess its time to contact support.

Edit: I just realized they don't even list the s50 in their support section nor in the contact form. Weird.

Last edited:

DoubleA5

Nov 22, 2014
I haven't had any issues, but that support thing is a bit weird. I tried contacting them through contact form, regarding windows USB drivers to get the phone recognized for ADB. There was no response at all. :eek:
Stumbled on this thread looking for root, as It would've been Ok for me to read logs from phone directly.
Driver problem got sorted by updating SDK and explicitly telling Windows to use the generic android drivers that came with it.

d3l1

Nov 18, 2009
That doesn't sound very promising. I just ordered my s50, should arrive tomorrow. I'll report back what CID and firmware I have and if I can update.
The LTE thing doesn't sound good at all.

Nov 20, 2014
So I sent them an email 2days ago late in the evening and got a reply concerning the LTE issues this morning: They basically recommend to turn LTE off which indeed improves the stability, no random blackouts anymore but general network reception (voice calls) is still beyond good and evil. My dear co-workers with other phones and LTE enabled have no problems at all (same carrier, same place, same contract). About the missing S50 info/support on their site: They're working on it. Anyway I just replied to see whats going on with the updates, lets see. Well at least they answer to support requests :good:

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

That doesn't sound very promising. I just ordered my s50, should arrive tomorrow. I'll report back what CID and firmware I have and if I can update.
The LTE thing doesn't sound good at all.

You got any news on your device? LTE works fine?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    By the way: I've checked by sniffing traffic that phone uses RedBend software for OTA - https://ota.redbend.com. Fortunately (for phone owners) traffic is encrypted so I found no way to inject CID to get updates faster.

I also found CRT file in RedBend.apk. Let's see if WireShark will be happy with it :)
    hello guys ....
    i will try all solution for update v19 to v23 but i got error every time
    the link to v23 zip is dead... someone can send me a good link for that please ? PLEAAAAASE :p
    sorry for my bad English i'm french guys

http://bbkr.org/firmware_v23.zip - V23 firmware that was downloaded from pda.ru forum (thanks guys!).
    Just sharing my experiences with this phone, hoping it help others from hours of frustration.

Was on 019 version of the system, tried switching to ART runtime. Phone was stuck on boot with the loading bar for hours. Tried resetting using power on + volume up as described in manual, but no luck. Spent quite some time reading every post in this thread, and finally found a solution.

Getting into recovery
    Finally found this PDF earlier in this thread mentioning how to get into the stock recovery, by first powering off the device, then pressing and holding VOLUME DOWN + MIDDLE BUTTON, and then attaching the phone to a PC or a power supply (both worked). Phone vibrates and enter recovery mode. Release keys when loaded. From there, I could do a factory reset and the phone was back on Dalvik and started up fine again.

Getting into ADB
    Phone defaults as a media device (mtp) with no adb. Go to Settings -> Storage -> three vertical squares-menu upper right -> USB Computer connection and select Camera (PTP) mode. ADB will now work.

Installing new software on rooted device
    Tried installing 023 OTA, but no luck, since it was rooted using KingRoot. The log said it failed due to wrong checksum on /system/etc/install-recovery.sh. Tried copying the install-recovery-ku.bak file over the original file, but got permission denied, even though being root.

Installed ADB drivers from "15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.2" (windows 8.1 pro), and followed the instructions in howto_driver.zip for manually selecting the Google driver for the device. Then set the phone Then booted the phone into recovery using adb reboot recovery, though the button method would have worked too. Booted into recovery and selected the menu for sideloading a file from ADB.

Sideloaded the 023 zip from earlier in this thread using adb sideload update-LTE_S0201121.0_S50_0.023.00-user. Sideloading worked perfectly, and after the reboot, the system spent a few minutes optimizing all the apps for the new system. Lost root in the process, but no nagging about wrong checksum on install-recovery.sh. Rooted successfully using KingRoot afterwards.
    Cat s50 root

Hi,
    Whenever you insert a micro SD card in the device, the device the same complains or can not connect to download images, videos, music ...
    The device we complains micro sd card but can not do anything with it. From the Play Store I downloaded the app "ES File Explorer". When transferring the images from internal memory to micro sd card, notice was that it must be the root device.
    How to root the device, have you anything to it?
    Guys can you please help me, my CatS50 is not turning on, its just detected by the pc, also does someone can please send me the firmware for it, ive been looking for it and it seems impossible to find it