[Q] Who to root thsis one: Caterpillar S50, framaroot fails

Search This thread

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
Another one already?!? New CAT S30

Nano SIM, Dual SIM, 1GB RAM (Junk), 8GB Internal (Junk), 4G LTE, IP68 & Mil Spec, 4.5in Screen & Gorilla Glass 3 (Unlike the S40 but like the S50), Lollipop 5.1.1, 5MP back camera & 2MP front (who cares). IMO the S50 is still better than the S40 and now the even worse S30. Why do they go backwards? How about 16GB internal, at least 2GB RAM, the Snapdragon that they've all had (1.2GHz from S50), and 5.1.1 Lollipop. I understand they are supposed to be tough work phones but why do they continue to make the hardware blow? I don't understand lol

71tJgjzYAgL._SL1418_.jpg

61gIgL1G6KL._SL1418_.jpg

bbkr

Jun 8, 2014
S30 and S40 were released almost in the same time, so it's not something new. Most retail stores don't even bother with S30, it is supposed to be budget model, but is extremely overpriced when you look at hardware spec.

I think Cat was trying to start parallel product lines like for iPhone 5c/5/5S. Typical "burger marketing" - you won't buy single burger sandwich because for small amount of money you can upgrade to dual, and you won't buy triple burger because it seems overpriced - so low end and high end products are just there to push sales of middle product which has best return of investment for fast food company. This may now look weird because for Cat those 3 phones were not released in the same time (so S50 is much worse than S40 in many aspects), however in future I think we may expect S31, S41 and S51 released together.

Reactions: Fudgehog

catlover77

Feb 15, 2016
vibromotor

I noticed that my vibro motor on cat s50 got weaker and weaker, and yesterday it stopped functioning. If i give a good shake to the phone vibro comes back to life, vibrates a couple of times and dies again. Anyone had such issue? Can i buy spare vibroengine for it, anyone put the phone apart, i am willing to try. Tnx

mzecher

Jun 24, 2010
Temuco
I noticed that my vibro motor on cat s50 got weaker and weaker, and yesterday it stopped functioning. If i give a good shake to the phone vibro comes back to life, vibrates a couple of times and dies again. Anyone had such issue? Can i buy spare vibroengine for it, anyone put the phone apart, i am willing to try. Tnx
I don't have that problem and I know it's not the answer you're searching for, but I would suggest you to buy a pebble. With mine I totally disabled any sounds and vibration from the phone and is a really pleasant experience. You will gain a lot of function for a price probably similar to a repair.

catlover77

Feb 15, 2016
Well, Pebble sure is not a solution, but i really like the concept, but the problem is that i just hate things on my wrist :) thus never had watches :) Yesterday i have separated the phone :) i found the vibromotor. Connected 1,5 v battery to it - no signs of life. As i needed the phone i put it back together. So, the question is still there, is there a place where one can buy spare parts? And how to check/repare the vibromotor? I connected 1,5 v AAA battery, may be it needs more voltage?

horhokokki

Nov 30, 2010
This new S60 is equipped with Snapdragon 617.. so there will be quick charge 3.0.. but maybe no wireless charging.. I have found no information about wireless charging :(

Last edited:

linas703

Jan 21, 2015
About hack cat s50

I have rooted cat s50. Recovery give for my error when I want install rom. Maybe it's Rom bead or recovery. Plz need help how install correct recovery or found good Rom.

bbkr

Jun 8, 2014
I have rooted cat s50. Recovery give for my error when I want install rom. Maybe it's Rom bead or recovery. Plz need help how install correct recovery or found good Rom.

Sideload ROM.

1. Go to recovery. Turn off phone. Hold flashlight and volume down button and plug computer cable.
2. Recovery will pop up. Select loading from ADB.
3. On your computer in terminal write:
adb sideload nameofromfile.zip

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
Next generation Cat has arrived:

cats601m.jpg
Oh my lord though. The Cat S60 is literally a dream come true. Once it comes out and it's decently priced I am definitely getting it. Like they finally realized that we want marshmallow. I mean the FLIR is cool but it's not something I need. Wonder how much extra the phone is going to be.

bbkr

Jun 8, 2014
Oh my lord though. The Cat S60 is literally a dream come true. Once it comes out and it's decently priced I am definitely getting it. Like they finally realized that we want marshmallow. I mean the FLIR is cool but it's not something I need. Wonder how much extra the phone is going to be.

It will cost 600$ + taxes.
IR camera itself probably adds 120$ to price tag, this stuff is expensive.

I'll wait for phone with geiger counter :)

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
It will cost 600$ + taxes.
IR camera itself probably adds 120$ to price tag, this stuff is expensive.

I'll wait for phone with geiger counter :)
That's not that bad, $500-6 is medium but if it gets below 5 than its a good deal. I paid $430 for my S50 and it's not really worth that. But this one sure is, even simply for the hardware. And if this one has development, it will be the toughest and most capable phone out there.

bbkr

Jun 8, 2014
Have you heard about Cat S50c: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49NzMlnDwO4 ?

Looks like this project was killed before even released. It had the same hardware spec as S50 (fixed side buttons and port cover!). And... Lollipop ROM!
It would be awesome if someone can dump ROM. In theory - it should be compatible with S50.

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
S50c Lollipop

Have you heard about Cat S50c: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49NzMlnDwO4 ?

Looks like this project was killed before even released. It had the same hardware spec as S50 (fixed side buttons and port cover!). And... Lollipop ROM!
It would be awesome if someone can dump ROM. In theory - it should be compatible with S50.

This would be interesting if someone could find the ROM, but without a custom recovery it isn't too useful either.

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
Okay so after doing a wipe and reinstalling the stock ROM, I did very minimal build.prop edits which should not have done anything except network buffer speeds, now the reason for my latest wipe and reinstall was bootloop stuck on the CAT logo. This time I managed to boot into recovery, to try the factory reset, only to get a non-functional screen and no recovery mode. I should of just sideloaded the ROM again (I'm an idiot sometimes). I think I'm f***kd. IS there ANY way I can get out of this?
UPDATE: Phone is bricked, I bought an HTC One A9. Let me know if anyone is interested in buying my bricked S50, for the hardware or something.

Last edited:

Thimor

Mar 26, 2015
S30 and S40 are introduced as 'budget'- models, at least that how they were explained to me.
The S50 is no longer available anywhere, but his successor has some improved specs on the entire spectrum.

But back to the reason I really made an reaction to the thread:
Anyone knows how legit the following link is: androidlp5.com/androidfw_1816.html [N00b me can't post the link]
I could be mistaken/missed it, but to my knowledge it isn't mentioned in this thread.
On the other hand for some reason all kind of alarms are going off in the back of my mind...

Furthermore, as user experiences with the S50 go, mine just got back from a screen repair after one year of use.
Old problems were :
- the sd-card kept turning up notifications about either being corrupt or unexpectedly removed. So far it could have been the sd card.
- QI charging stopped working, but could have been the charger as well.

New problems since the repair:
- Some days I keep putting in the sim-code during the day (three-four times) hours apart.
- And it keeps randomly telling me to make sure I close all the lids, while it isn't connected to anything.

The camera still still sucks though, and I think that really has to be the biggest disappointment of the device.
Still pondering giving it an updated ROM , but since I'm all out of spare phones as backup I reckon I'm too hesitant.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    By the way: I've checked by sniffing traffic that phone uses RedBend software for OTA - https://ota.redbend.com. Fortunately (for phone owners) traffic is encrypted so I found no way to inject CID to get updates faster.

I also found CRT file in RedBend.apk. Let's see if WireShark will be happy with it :)
    hello guys ....
    i will try all solution for update v19 to v23 but i got error every time
    the link to v23 zip is dead... someone can send me a good link for that please ? PLEAAAAASE :p
    sorry for my bad English i'm french guys

http://bbkr.org/firmware_v23.zip - V23 firmware that was downloaded from pda.ru forum (thanks guys!).
    Just sharing my experiences with this phone, hoping it help others from hours of frustration.

Was on 019 version of the system, tried switching to ART runtime. Phone was stuck on boot with the loading bar for hours. Tried resetting using power on + volume up as described in manual, but no luck. Spent quite some time reading every post in this thread, and finally found a solution.

Getting into recovery
    Finally found this PDF earlier in this thread mentioning how to get into the stock recovery, by first powering off the device, then pressing and holding VOLUME DOWN + MIDDLE BUTTON, and then attaching the phone to a PC or a power supply (both worked). Phone vibrates and enter recovery mode. Release keys when loaded. From there, I could do a factory reset and the phone was back on Dalvik and started up fine again.

Getting into ADB
    Phone defaults as a media device (mtp) with no adb. Go to Settings -> Storage -> three vertical squares-menu upper right -> USB Computer connection and select Camera (PTP) mode. ADB will now work.

Installing new software on rooted device
    Tried installing 023 OTA, but no luck, since it was rooted using KingRoot. The log said it failed due to wrong checksum on /system/etc/install-recovery.sh. Tried copying the install-recovery-ku.bak file over the original file, but got permission denied, even though being root.

Installed ADB drivers from "15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.2" (windows 8.1 pro), and followed the instructions in howto_driver.zip for manually selecting the Google driver for the device. Then set the phone Then booted the phone into recovery using adb reboot recovery, though the button method would have worked too. Booted into recovery and selected the menu for sideloading a file from ADB.

Sideloaded the 023 zip from earlier in this thread using adb sideload update-LTE_S0201121.0_S50_0.023.00-user. Sideloading worked perfectly, and after the reboot, the system spent a few minutes optimizing all the apps for the new system. Lost root in the process, but no nagging about wrong checksum on install-recovery.sh. Rooted successfully using KingRoot afterwards.
    Cat s50 root

Hi,
    Whenever you insert a micro SD card in the device, the device the same complains or can not connect to download images, videos, music ...
    The device we complains micro sd card but can not do anything with it. From the Play Store I downloaded the app "ES File Explorer". When transferring the images from internal memory to micro sd card, notice was that it must be the root device.
    How to root the device, have you anything to it?
    Guys can you please help me, my CatS50 is not turning on, its just detected by the pc, also does someone can please send me the firmware for it, ive been looking for it and it seems impossible to find it