[Q] Who to root thsis one: Caterpillar S50, framaroot fails

Search This thread

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
Mixer_paths

I set all my values to 91 and it was too loud, so I reset them to 90 and it's just fine, even a little distortion. I used ES File Explorer to make the changes, which is recommended, and make sure you restart your phone or the edit won't change anything. Could always try replacing the whole file with a clean one or a factory reset would be last option. Make sure you have waves audio on and all of your sound apps enabled.

After trying many modifications to mixer_paths.xml, I'm still getting ridiculously low volume during calls. Sometimes it is ok, occasionally even loud, but most calls through the speaker are so low, I can barely understand the conversation.

I already set:
Code:
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="93" />
<ctl name="RX2 Digital Volume" value="93" />
<ctl name="RX3 Digital Volume" value="93" />
<ctl name="RX4 Digital Volume" value="93" />
I also played with other settings without luck.

I would really appreciate some help with this, thanks in advance

mzecher

Jun 24, 2010
Temuco
I set all my values to 91 and it was too loud, so I reset them to 90 and it's just fine, even a little distortion. I used ES File Explorer to make the changes, which is recommended, and make sure you restart your phone or the edit won't change anything. Could always try replacing the whole file with a clean one or a factory reset would be last option. Make sure you have waves audio on and all of your sound apps enabled.

Thanks a lot for answering. I also did the changes with ES file explorer and restarted after every modification. Did you change something else, or just the 4 lines I wrote?

Waves died after I installed alsa trying to fix the volume issue (I read that suggestion somewhere). It says "the waves service is not ready". However, I'm sure the problem is not related with waves because it exists since the day I received the phone.

mzecher

Jun 24, 2010
Temuco
Thanks a lot, it seems lineout did the trick. I'll let you know if the fix is permanent.
Unfortunately, reinstalling waves doesn't fix the other problem. Maybe I'll take the time to reflash....

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
Best of luck.

I never flashed my phone, but this S50 has been pretty good to me (my first S50 the screen broke when dropped 2ft). I got it V19 updated to the V23 ROM and rooted with one click root. It's been fine ever since and I deleted all the bloat ware. I think I'm going to encrypt it next, I don't know but the audio was a huge issue for me until I changed those values, although changing the RX's worked fine for me. Just remember though even when the volume was low for line in, Bluetooth was always louder because it sends a digital signal so as long as I could bump my system in my truck I wasn't worried about it, but I figured it out. I wish you luck with your S50 though.

Thanks a lot, it seems lineout did the trick. I'll let you know if the fix is permanent.
Unfortunately, reinstalling waves doesn't fix the other problem. Maybe I'll take the time to reflash....

maigais

Jun 21, 2015
or, in general, you have access to information about how to transmit the cat s50 ???
and where AVAILABLE Android software ??

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
Omg the S50 with kernal audiutor is so good! This phone is so damn fast now. And I hope you all have your window animation scales at off in developer options this is fast as ****.

bbkr

Jun 8, 2014
Omg the S50 with kernal audiutor is so good! This phone is so damn fast now. And I hope you all have your window animation scales at off in developer options this is fast as ****.

Is this kernel really faster (2D/3D benchmark, storage I/O, etc) or do you only have feeling that it is faster because of reduced animation times?

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
My S50 apps, personal preference but I like to keep it lean, clean, and well-oiled. Set to ART runtime after stock ROM flash and rooted with Kingo Root and have Kingo Superuser afterwards (better than KingRoot IMO). In developer options I set my background processes to 4, my Window animation scale is off, transition animation scale is off, Animator duration scale is .5x. Also verify unknown sources, USB debugging, and mock locations are enabled. Battery lasts all day and has never died on me.

Amazon - SD
Clean Master - SD
Link2SD Plus- Phone
ROM Toolbox Pro - Converted to system app.
ES File Explorer - Converted to system app.
System App Remover - SD
Busybox - SD
Lite (V1.16 European version of Facebook, can message as well, very little space only 5.2 MB on my phone. Converted to system app.
Kernel Adiutor - (really does wonders) I set max CPU speed to 998 and kept minimum at 300. Conserves a lot of battery and is plenty fast. Converted to system app.
Ad Block Plus - Converted to system app.
(Google) Messenger - Converted to system app. Looks nicer and I like it better than the stock Messaging app.
ES File Explorer - Converted to system app.
Outlook - SD
Snapchat - SD
Kingo Superuser - (Better than KingRoot in my opinion) Obviously a system app.
Purify - Converted to system app.
VLC media player Beta - (Beta works better than regular VLC app, best sound adjustment). Converted to system app.
Youtube - Converted to system app.
Themer app - theme Lollipop. Converted to system app. Froze Launcher3.

Frozen or Disabled:
Cell Broadcasts (CellBroadcastReceiver.apk)
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks (PartnerBookmarksProvider.apk)
com.android.partnerbrowsercustomizations (PartnerHomeProvider.apk)
Face Unlock (FaceLock.apk)
FM Radio (FM2.apk)
Google Contacts Sync (GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk)
Google One Time Init (GoogleOneTimeInitializer.apk)
Launcher3 (Launcher3.apk)
Messaging (Mms.apk)
Nfc Service (NfcNci.apk)
Tags (TagGoogle.apk)

Removed bloatware:
OpenWnn
User Dictionary
Chinese Keyboard
Live Wallpaper Picker & all wallpapers
Google Play Books
Google Keyboard
Google Play Newsstand
Google Play Music
Google Play Movies & TV
Drive
Earth
Talkback
Print Spooler
AVG Antivirus (Useless)
com.android.customlink
Hangouts
Google+
com.android.holospiral
I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

Last edited:

Fryzjer

Aug 21, 2008
i have this same problem with save photos from camera to sd card, a try root

but i seen on autoupdate in setting but after reset update error
do you have i link to firmware

thx for reply

snake059

Jun 28, 2015
cat v23

hello guys ....

i will try all solution for update v19 to v23 but i got error every time

the link to v23 zip is dead... someone can send me a good link for that please ? PLEAAAAASE :p

sorry for my bad English i'm french guys

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
We need custom recoverys, custom ROMS, and Lollipop and or Marshmallow for the Cat S50 this needs to be done! Seriously this phone has a lot of potential but someone needs to make a custom recovery. We need more development for this phone. Someone get on it! If this phone doesn't come out with a custom recovery and or custom ROMS I will surely break out in a rash.

Okay and I really need someone's help. I somehow corrupted my LTE V23 Settings app itself because it won't open could someone please upload a clean one for me? I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
I just reflashed V23 ROM

I just did that because I screwed up immensely better to start fresh anyway thanks though!

Fudgehog

Apr 8, 2015
Has anyone managed to make a custom recovery? I haven't been able to. I wish someone could mod the S50 to marshmallow or at least Lollipop. Unfortunately this phone is non existent even though it has a lot of potential.

Also is there anyone who can find the stock ROM for the S40? I was thinking about messing around with it and the S50.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    By the way: I've checked by sniffing traffic that phone uses RedBend software for OTA - https://ota.redbend.com. Fortunately (for phone owners) traffic is encrypted so I found no way to inject CID to get updates faster.

I also found CRT file in RedBend.apk. Let's see if WireShark will be happy with it :)
    hello guys ....
    i will try all solution for update v19 to v23 but i got error every time
    the link to v23 zip is dead... someone can send me a good link for that please ? PLEAAAAASE :p
    sorry for my bad English i'm french guys

http://bbkr.org/firmware_v23.zip - V23 firmware that was downloaded from pda.ru forum (thanks guys!).
    Just sharing my experiences with this phone, hoping it help others from hours of frustration.

Was on 019 version of the system, tried switching to ART runtime. Phone was stuck on boot with the loading bar for hours. Tried resetting using power on + volume up as described in manual, but no luck. Spent quite some time reading every post in this thread, and finally found a solution.

Getting into recovery
    Finally found this PDF earlier in this thread mentioning how to get into the stock recovery, by first powering off the device, then pressing and holding VOLUME DOWN + MIDDLE BUTTON, and then attaching the phone to a PC or a power supply (both worked). Phone vibrates and enter recovery mode. Release keys when loaded. From there, I could do a factory reset and the phone was back on Dalvik and started up fine again.

Getting into ADB
    Phone defaults as a media device (mtp) with no adb. Go to Settings -> Storage -> three vertical squares-menu upper right -> USB Computer connection and select Camera (PTP) mode. ADB will now work.

Installing new software on rooted device
    Tried installing 023 OTA, but no luck, since it was rooted using KingRoot. The log said it failed due to wrong checksum on /system/etc/install-recovery.sh. Tried copying the install-recovery-ku.bak file over the original file, but got permission denied, even though being root.

Installed ADB drivers from "15 seconds ADB Installer v1.4.2" (windows 8.1 pro), and followed the instructions in howto_driver.zip for manually selecting the Google driver for the device. Then set the phone Then booted the phone into recovery using adb reboot recovery, though the button method would have worked too. Booted into recovery and selected the menu for sideloading a file from ADB.

Sideloaded the 023 zip from earlier in this thread using adb sideload update-LTE_S0201121.0_S50_0.023.00-user. Sideloading worked perfectly, and after the reboot, the system spent a few minutes optimizing all the apps for the new system. Lost root in the process, but no nagging about wrong checksum on install-recovery.sh. Rooted successfully using KingRoot afterwards.
    Cat s50 root

Hi,
    Whenever you insert a micro SD card in the device, the device the same complains or can not connect to download images, videos, music ...
    The device we complains micro sd card but can not do anything with it. From the Play Store I downloaded the app "ES File Explorer". When transferring the images from internal memory to micro sd card, notice was that it must be the root device.
    How to root the device, have you anything to it?
    Guys can you please help me, my CatS50 is not turning on, its just detected by the pc, also does someone can please send me the firmware for it, ive been looking for it and it seems impossible to find it