• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Why does it say Near Field Communication on the battery?

Search This thread

jameslfc5

Sep 27, 2009
I was just wondering why does it state Near Field Communication on the battery?

Cheers

martonikaj

Nov 20, 2010
Seattle, WA
Uhhhhhhhhhh.. Because it has NFC chip? Not trying to be mean or.rude, but that's pretty obvious.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

an NFC chip in the battery isn't "very expensive". Not at all... especially considering the rest of the circuitry is in the battery door...

You think a Galaxy Nexus battery will cost 2x more than a battery for a phone that doesn't have NFC or something? I mean really.

Jebus99

Jun 4, 2011
My guess is the NFC antenna is in the battery, rather then the "chip". which IMO would make the most sense.

Definitely... the NFC chip is a IC chip like any other, soldered onto the motherboard. It's made my NXP and is the same as in the Nexus S, and contains hardware security and the such. The battery simply acts as a further antennae. I remember the SGS2 similarly had batteries labelled with 'NFC' but this did not give a phone NFC if it was not already built in.

quaa

Dec 3, 2007
quaa.net
The reason is because the battery doubles as a battery as well as a nfc Antenna.

The nfc chip is built in to the phone. Not the battery.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
I was just wondering why does it state Near Field Communication on the battery?

Cheers

on all the new devices like SGS2 and NG the NFC has been moved to the battery to conserve space in the phone for other parts

TDlQcM2OdFoNZ6JE.medium
eBYegRmBLRY4orcf.medium

Last edited:
Reactions: mohammad azadeh

ianwood

Feb 27, 2005
Lost Angeles
The nfc chip is built in to the phone. Not the battery.

on all the new devices like SGS2 and NG the NFC has been moved to the battery to conserve space in the phone for other parts

Two wonderfully conflicting statements right next to each other. Who knows exactly where the NFC chip resides? I'm almost positive it's NOT in the battery but don't know for sure. Anyone have a link to an SGS2 teardown? If it's on the mainboard in the SGS2, it's probably the same for the GN.

Top Liked Posts