• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we migrated and software and made it more secure. We recommend trying to reset your password.

[Q] Why galaxy's S screen looks worse than iphone's 4 ?

enigma575

Oct 9, 2010
Alexandria
if the galaxy S' screen is known to be way better than the iphone 4 ( AMOLED vs Retina ) then how come when i hold my friend's iphone i see his phone's display looking wayyy much better than my galaxy ? even at full brightness , mine still looks yellow/ or darker than his screen

iam using Hybrid rom / semaphore kernel

and i get these results or worse on different roms and kernels , any idea why and how to fix it ?

Reactions: KMino

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
well I have compared an iPhone and my sgs and their is no comparison, mine was way better. Both were at fully brightness , that time I was at 2.3.4 jvr stock.

Sent from my GT-I9000B using xda premium

JazonX

Dec 16, 2009
Iphone's has higher resolution.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App
Probably what he says he correct. I'm no expert, But if you look real close at the display screens (you can notice this on letters), You can see the dots (pixels) that made up each letter (or an image) on galaxy S. (and S ii as well).
But on iPhone, The Pixels are not visible, thus makes the image more smooth and clearer.

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
Screen on my SGS II looks great. Fonts look smooth and clear; even small font sizes. IMHO, I think the the Super AMOLED+ display looks much better than the screen on the iPhone 4. It's brighter, has far better color saturation, and is more energy efficient. I prefer AMOLED displays over traditional LCD because AMOLED displays have self illuminating pixels, which means no backlighting is needed, making for an evenly lit display. (no bright spots or shadowing).

If I've helped you in any way, please click the "thanks" button.

Sent from my Samsung SGH-i777 using XDA Premium

Last edited:

mathijs727

Oct 29, 2010
Badhoevedorp
My uncle has an iPhone4 and his screen may be more crisp, but the colors on my sgs is so much better.
If you want the best screen available buy a galaxy nexus, the screen has almost (just a few procent) the same ppi as the iPhone, but its a super amoled screen so the colors are much more vivid then the iPhone.

Mathijs

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
I phone's screen is 3.5" and sgs's screen is 4.0" and so even if they had equal resolutions then iPhone would have came out better . Here we are talking about brightness and colours and I don't believe iPhone has any comparison with this beauty I am typing this reply on.

Sent from my GT-I9000B using xda premium

YEA64

Feb 6, 2011
Gelsenkirchen
The screen of the Galaxy S IS better. Maybe you were not at full brightness oder sth like that .. :)
It's really supposed to be better, like the people before me posted.
A iphone user will say "mine is better" .. don't mind :)

Reactions: burakgon

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
The screen of the Galaxy S IS better. Maybe you were not at full brightness oder sth like that .. :)
It's really supposed to be better, like the people before me posted.
A iphone user will say "mine is better" .. don't mind :)
Haha, maybe he was at low battery when he compared his sgs with iphone .

Oct 2, 2011
Australia
Iphone has way more pixels than the i9000. plus iphone does not use pentile.

iphone is 960x640 x 3 (normal rbg is 3 subpixels per pixel)= 1 843 200 subpixels

samsung i9000 is 800x480x2(pentile is 2 subpixels per pixel) = 768 000 subpixels

1843000/768000=2.4

so iphone has 2.4 times more subpixels than the i9000.

plus iphone has a small smaller screen, considering all these factors, iphone will no doubt look better. But ask yourself, how much marginal utility (real usable benefits) would you get out of a such high density screen?

My answer is there is no really extra benefits you can get out.

Last edited:

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
Iphone has way more pixels than the i9000. plus iphone does not use pentile.

iphone is 960x640 x 3 (normal rbg is 3 subpixels per pixel)= 1 843 200 subpixels

samsung i9000 is 800x480x2(pentile is 2 subpixels per pixel) = 768 000 subpixels

1843000/768000=2.4

so iphone has 2.4 times more subpixels than the i9000.

plus iphone has a small smaller screen, considering all these factors, iphone will no doubt look better. But ask yourself, how much marginal utility (real usable benefits) would you get out of a such high density screen?

My answer is there is no really extra benefits you can get out.
+1 and great maths.

PeartFan40

Jun 15, 2007
South Hadley, Ma. USA
Blah blah blah. The retina display has higher pixel density; so what. This forum is about Android, not iPhone. I think I speak for most when I say that nobody cares about the iPhone or it's retina display. Apple's idea of state of the art is a recycled iPhone 4 with 3g? I'll pass. You fanboys can keep your overpriced, old technology.

oswade

Jun 18, 2010
Iphone edges out the sgs in a number or screen aspects, but SGS has two extremely important and significant advantages.

1. Screen size - ip4 screen is tiny. higher resolution helps out but it's just more comfortable and practical to use a bigger screen.
2. Contrast - ever since I looked at the superamoled, all other screen contrast has been ewww (iphone, ipad included), especially in darker settings.

For that, my next phone must have amoled plus a screen size >= 4"

Last edited:

nedooo

Dec 26, 2010
Sarajevo
AMOLED at this state is not the future technology.
Why?
It dies so fast (burn-in effect shows this), and maybe after a year it could lose third of the initial brightness.
Just look at the new LCDs over 1000 nits and reduced power consumption, viewing angle needless to speak of, and many more improvements, AMOLED gain sharpness, and lost some brightness, burn-in still there, and some other problems.

I had Samsung Wave and then SGS and returning to SGS 2 or Galaxy Nexus is a no go since there is no improvement on this field (give big cash and worry about how long was the status bar on, so it won't burn in, give me a brake).
Amoled is yet to grow or die...

Last edited: