• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] Why is the performance so poor?

Search This thread

fmedina2

Sep 6, 2010
Orlando, FL
I don't understand how a phone so powerful can run so poorly. Often times it may take up to 5 seconds to respond to input and is extremely laggy. My friends iPhone 4 is more responsive and it is kind of embarrassing when I am always talking so highly of Android devices, and a 2 year device with incredibly inferior specs is outperforming a brand new high-end phone. There also seems to be an enormous lack of development. I am really starting to regret purchasing this phone.

Aug 10, 2014
I don't understand how a phone so powerful can run so poorly. Often times it may take up to 5 seconds to respond to input and is extremely laggy. My friends iPhone 4 is more responsive and it is kind of embarrassing when I am always talking so highly of Android devices, and a 2 year device with incredibly inferior specs is outperforming a brand new high-end phone. There also seems to be an enormous lack of development. I am really starting to regret purchasing this phone.

I agree that G3 performance is bad. Its because the system in chip had to draw all the extra pixels of a QHD display. It causes lag and slowness everywhere.

The QHD display needs a more powerful system on chip.

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
I agree that G3 performance is bad. Its because the system in chip had to draw all the extra pixels of a QHD display. It causes lag and slowness everywhere.

Its got nothing to do with the QHD screen. The processor is more than capable of rendering QHD in 2D, even 4K wouldnt be a problem.

The problem is LG have very badly optimised the software. The latest revisions are much much faster, Im using v10J and everything is instant. We went through the same problems with the G2.

Aug 10, 2014
Its got nothing to do with the QHD screen. The processor is more than capable of rendering QHD in 2D, even 4K wouldnt be a problem.

The problem is LG have very badly optimised the software. The latest revisions are much much faster, Im using v10J and everything is instant. We went through the same problems with the G2.

Have to disagree,I see no improvement with 10j. Its very obvious the 801 is maxed out.

Aug 10, 2014
Just curious because I genuinely want to know. What do you base this on? Have you used some software that monitors the CPU usage and seen it constantly run at 100%?

I've seen it happen on old phones of mine that tried to render 1080 but struggled. You get the stutter effect and frame rate dropping because it can't draw it quickly enough. This is a good comparison video too of the more powerful 805 chip Vs the 801 chip

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCpcEtokiJ0

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
I've seen it happen on old phones of mine that tried to render 1080 but struggled. You get the stutter effect and frame rate dropping because it can't draw it quickly enough. This is a good comparison video too of the more powerful 805 chip Vs the 801 chip

Clearly thats not the case since I have absolutely zero lag. Its a fact that the GPU isnt stressed in 2D by the QHD, it doesnt even throttle past 330mhz. The 801 is rated for 4K, and only then limited by bandwidth rather than raw power.

Its all about the LG software. It will improve.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Have to disagree,I see no improvement with 10j. Its very obvious the 801 is maxed out.

This chip is not maxed out at all, let's not spread false information please. LG needs to optimize the software for the phone to run correctly. I have enabled 60fps on my phone, and the thing flies now. No lag while scrolling, or while gamingto speak of. The chip has no problems with the resolution.

The thing with Iphone is the way it's set up, Android has more things working in the background eating up ram/etc, that's why optimization is so important. Put an 801 chip into the Iphone, which has MUCH less things running in the background by default, and I guarantee you that the phone will run much faster than with the A7 chip.

Also, rogue apps that are not optimized correctly can also cause serious lag. I recently had the HTC One M8, which ran beautifully, until I downloaded a rogue app that was eating up ram when not in use, and my phone was lagging like crazy.

So it's not really fair to compare android with ios's speed, because all Iphone devices work the same way, and use the same chip. While on Android, there are many factors and apps that can interfere with the OS. Any true Android fan should know how these things work..you can customize the phone to your liking, but you also have to deal with rogue apps and ram issues sometimes.

Batfink33

Apr 8, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Have to agree that the 801 struggles with 2k, use a 1080 801 flagship and you'll see the difference. The frame rate on some games is poor in the G3 compared to 1080 801 phones and that's nothing to do with software. The QHD is also power hungry and runs hotter and thermal throttles the CPU more.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Clearly thats not the case since I have absolutely zero lag. Its a fact that the GPU isnt stressed in 2D by the QHD, it doesnt even throttle past 330mhz. The 801 is rated for 4K, and only then limited by bandwidth rather than raw power.

Exactly, this chip is more then capable of running the high resolution on the G3. LG should have taken the time to calibrate the software to run better, but the newer updates going around are based off of the info here from XDA users.The default battery saving technique to dynamically adjust the fps/etc only saves a little more batter, but is not worth the tradeoff of a stuttering device. LG should have put in a bigger battery and increased the phone size a little instead of setting up the phone the way it currently is. People are too obsessed with thin phones now-a-days, I prefer a little bulk with MUCH better battery life! ;)

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 PM ----------

Also, just to add on to the info that the 801 cannot handle the 2K resolution, which is false..I had the HTC One M8, which oddly stuttered like crazy when playing Asphalt 8, and a few other highly graphical games, but ran smooth as butter when scrolling through apps/etc. However, my G3 has Zero problems now running the same games. So clearly, it's more at play than just the 801. It's more about optimization/etc.

Horcza

Jun 6, 2012
Miskolc
I have pretty much zero lag, the only stutter I see is when pulling down the notification bar, but that happens literally every time I do it. Anybody experiencing the same? Rooted 32gb D855 10g.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
I have pretty much zero lag, the only stutter I see is when pulling down the notification bar, but that happens literally every time I do it. Anybody experiencing the same? Rooted 32gb D855 10g.

I had that happen to me every now and then, until I switched from Dalvik to ART. Now I have zero lag when using the notification bar. Try that and see if it helps.

Reactions: Horcza

Horcza

Jun 6, 2012
Miskolc
I had that happen to me every now and then, until I switched from Dalvik to ART. Now I have zero lag when using the notification bar. Try that and see if it helps.

Thanks, but I'm using Xposed framework and as far as I know, it's not ART compatible yet :/ I'll keep it ind mind, though.

luisfillipe

Feb 25, 2011
I have enabled 60fps on my phone, and the thing flies now. No lag while scrolling, or while gamingto speak of. The chip has no problems with the resolution.

@MRCANNADY how can i enable the 60fps? i read about some people saying this but i didnt find anything about how to do this, can you help me?

sorry about my english..brazilian here

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
To give you an idea of the advances LG will likely make I recently flashed my G2 back to the original ROM. It was terrible, laggy, jittery, horrible camera lag. I then updated to the latest. Smooth, lag free, faster camera, totally reliable. This will happen for the G3 to.

QHD has nothing to do with the issues at all. Its quite clear LG released this phone in almost a panic about heat and battery life, with so many unnecessary measures taken. I disabled quite a lot of them and its smooth and the battery lasts longer than any phone ive had before, even my G2. I wonder if half the screens issues are due to LG undervolting it. Most mods for other devices undervolt the screen to save power, I want to try the opposite.

Reactions: lossah

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Thanks, but I'm using Xposed framework and as far as I know, it's not ART compatible yet :/ I'll keep it ind mind, though.

Oh yes, it's not compatible as of now. ART really does make a difference in how the phone works though. It's actually the first time that I have seen how beneficial ART is. Question, do you have any widgets in your notification shade/etc? You could also try using the Nova launcher and see if that helps.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

@MRCANNADY how can i enable the 60fps? i read about some people saying this but i didnt find anything about how to do this, can you help me?

sorry about my english..brazilian here

Hello there

Follow the instructions below. Also, scroll down to Dynamic LCD refresh On/Off, and select disable. Then under Fixed FPS test, select 60FPS, reboot and enjoy!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/general/mod-root-rid-lag-g3-t2819365

Reactions: luisfillipe

xlxcrossing

Dec 6, 2009
Soquel, CA

So what about non d855 users. I have the T mobile variant and it seems we are waiting on Android L for an update as there hasnt been any incremental performance updates. I agree the software is not all it could be.

Last edited:

s.whiplash

Dec 7, 2007
I use Nova launcher and don't see any lag.

When I was using the stock launcher, I thought that I would see some delay here and there, But I wasn't really sure if it was the phone or me believing what other people were writing.

But I did use the settings in the linked post and it seemed to make the stock launcher much faster. I do not know if it will affect your issue.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=54122500&postcount=1509

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have zero lag with my processor downclocked to 1.5ghz and 200 mhz GPU

So all this QHD resolution causing lag is complete BS and trolling.

Sent from my LG Gangster 3

Simply don't feed the trolls/n00bs... Close thread, enjoy the G3, settled :good:

This chip is not maxed out at all, let's not spread false information please. LG needs to optimize the software for the phone to run correctly. I have enabled 60fps on my phone, and the thing flies now. No lag while scrolling, or while gamingto speak of. The chip has no problems with the resolution.

The thing with Iphone is the way it's set up, Android has more things working in the background eating up ram/etc, that's why optimization is so important. Put an 801 chip into the Iphone, which has MUCH less things running in the background by default, and I guarantee you that the phone will run much faster than with the A7 chip.

Also, rogue apps that are not optimized correctly can also cause serious lag. I recently had the HTC One M8, which ran beautifully, until I downloaded a rogue app that was eating up ram when not in use, and my phone was lagging like crazy.

So it's not really fair to compare android with ios's speed, because all Iphone devices work the same way, and use the same chip. While on Android, there are many factors and apps that can interfere with the OS. Any true Android fan should know how these things work..you can customize the phone to your liking, but you also have to deal with rogue apps and ram issues sometimes.