• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] Why is the performance so poor?

Search This thread
Aug 10, 2014
I guess you arent aware that 3D games and 2D UI elements are not powered in the same way. 2D even at QHD is effortless for most GPUs, 3D games are completely different and require a completely different set of calculations and physics.

The limitation on 2D is bandwidth, getting the frames out fast enough, the calculations needed to render the frames are not a problem at all. The GPU has more than enough bandwidth for QHD 2D. How else do you think the GPU manages to handle 4K video recording? In that situation it also has to encode the video as well as render the frames for the screen. Its not problem at all.

The Find 7 801 QHD has the exact same problem. Frame rate dropping,stutter and lag. Coincidence?
This is a hardware issue without a doubt. Again, run the frame rate app in the background on a 1080 801 then the QHD 805 and look at the low frame rates on the G3. Also go and read Anandtechs comments about needing an 805 with QHD to get 801 performance on 1080.Look at Erica Griffins video where she states the 805 G3 is much smoother than the 801 G3 and advises against buying the 801 G3(both the same LG software),finally go and read the comments on the Cat 6 thread where they say their 805 G3s are running smoothly with no lag and as fast as an M8. The 801 is capable of 2k,just not very smoothly.

Last edited:

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
I guess you arent aware that 3D games and 2D UI elements are not powered in the same way. 2D even at QHD is effortless for most GPUs, 3D games are completely different and require a completely different set of calculations and physics.

The limitation on 2D is bandwidth, getting the frames out fast enough, the calculations needed to render the frames are not a problem at all. The GPU has more than enough bandwidth for QHD 2D. How else do you think the GPU manages to handle 4K video recording? In that situation it also has to encode the video as well as render the frames for the screen. Its not problem at all.

Shhssh man, you sound like you know what you're talking about, which goes against this thread and the false info being spread what the GPU can handle. :silly:

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 PM ----------

Are we not allowed to discuss the poor performance that a large majority of people are experiencing? Or are we to just simply accept the phone for what it is and enjoy it because you said so?

I would pick option# 2 :cool:

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
10J, 60fps, done. Phone is smooth as butter. If not, stop using bloated social media (cr)apps.

Thanks for the update, sounds like the software update is heading in the right direction! Besides a few other optimizations, 10J is pretty much doing what was already mentioned here on XDA, making adjustments to the ridiculous battery-saving settings that the phone was released with. While also adjusting the throttling/heat issues.

fmedina2

Sep 6, 2010
Orlando, FL
10J, 60fps, done. Phone is smooth as butter. If not, stop using bloated social media (cr)apps.

Just because you are not seeing any performance issues does not mean everybody else isn't. I am rooted and have un-installed all bloatware. I only have about 2-3 apps installed because I don't want my phone to perform any slower. I have done the tweaks through the hidden menu shown here in another thread. I am still seeing significant lag throughout the entire interface.

MRCANNADY

Mar 13, 2009
Just because you are not seeing any performance issues does not mean everybody else isn't. I am rooted and have un-installed all bloatware. I only have about 2-3 apps installed because I don't want my phone to perform any slower. I have done the tweaks through the hidden menu shown here in another thread. I am still seeing significant lag throughout the entire interface.

2-3 apps and still lagging badly? You have one defective phone there pal. You should try returning it or something. Or hopefully an update will fix your issue. That's pretty extreme/bad.

Pfeffernuss

Jun 30, 2009
Wassenaar

Sell phone. Buy Nexus5/HTC M8/iPhone 5S.

Bliss :cool:

Reactions: grifter9931

radeonxt

Jan 1, 2008
currently enjoying the phone.
no lag in games.
no overheating, shutdowns.

one thing i noticed though is when phone is on for a while, i see on android tuner or kernel tweaker that only 1 cpu(core 0). core 1,2 and 3 are all offline. cos when the phone was just turned on, i see all 4 cores running cos it's finishing the boot process and app loadings. then later on it turns off core 1 and 2 while core 0 and core 3 are still on. then later on it becomes single core, only core 0 is on.

EpicChineseTime

Jan 29, 2014
Genova
Lag on heavy games like colin mcrae rally, it starts smootly, but after 5 minutes of gameplay when the phone heats up it starts to shutter, lag, frame drop and frame skip.
Lags on daily usage too.
On V10H.

Sent from from my LG-D855

helikido

Oct 23, 2010
To give you an idea of the advances LG will likely make I recently flashed my G2 back to the original ROM. It was terrible, laggy, jittery, horrible camera lag. I then updated to the latest. Smooth, lag free, faster camera, totally reliable. This will happen for the G3 to.

QHD has nothing to do with the issues at all. Its quite clear LG released this phone in almost a panic about heat and battery life, with so many unnecessary measures taken. I disabled quite a lot of them and its smooth and the battery lasts longer than any phone ive had before, even my G2. I wonder if half the screens issues are due to LG undervolting it. Most mods for other devices undervolt the screen to save power, I want to try the opposite.
Precisely everything improves with software updates. By NO means is the 801 a weak processor. It can smoothly operate my phone with a down clocked GPU to 200mhz
Its for nothing to do with optimized software. You're fooling yourself because you've wasted $700 underpowered phone. You can easily do frame rate tests on games which show a much lower frame rate on the 801 G3 compared to the M8,Z2 or 805 G5.

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

Its for nothing to do with optimized software. You're fooling yourself because you've wasted $700 underpowered phone. You can easily do frame rate tests on games which show a much lower frame rate on the 801 G3 compared to the M8,Z2 or 805 G5.

Cogratualations to LG on their "adaptive frame rate" marketing nonsense as its obviously worked.
I think you just went full retard if you honestly believe the 801 is underpowerd for QHD.

Bro the the Nexus 10 operates smoothly with a cpu/gpu half as weak as the 801 and with the same resolution. Lol the ignorance.

2dorr

Jan 15, 2007
Bucharest
You are correct with Nexus 10. I just remembered it and yes it has an Exynos dual-core. So all the talk that 801 is not powerful for QHD, is in fact negative advertisement for G3. Indeed LG needed 3-4 firmwares to make the phone usable and in line with S5, Z2, One. Even though the screen when on, eat battery more than the rest of the phones. But only for screen/size advantage, I'll keep G3 till something alike will be launched. After G3, I can't accept something bigger, even with the same screen size. Even Note 4, and I was fan of Note series, is not something that I want, when I know Snapdragon 810 with 64-bit will come.

Last edited:

ChrisM75

Nov 2, 2013
The Find 7 801 QHD has the exact same problem. Frame rate dropping,stutter and lag. Coincidence?
This is a hardware issue without a doubt. Again, run the frame rate app in the background on a 1080 801 then the QHD 805 and look at the low frame rates on the G3. Also go and read Anandtechs comments about needing an 805 with QHD to get 801 performance on 1080.Look at Erica Griffins video where she states the 805 G3 is much smoother than the 801 G3 and advises against buying the 801 G3(both the same LG software),finally go and read the comments on the Cat 6 thread where they say their 805 G3s are running smoothly with no lag and as fast as an M8. The 801 is capable of 2k,just not very smoothly.

Oppo phones never run that well, LG phones always launch with lag.

The cat 6 runs better with a faster processor? You dont say!! Of course it does, it still doesn't mean the software isnt the problem. Im shocked that Anand will say something as noobish as that, I would expect them to know better that 2D UI elements are 3D are totally different things. Even a 2 or 3 year old GPU will handle QHD in 2D perfectly fine, as long as the software is set up properly.

As has been stated more than once, many of us have no lag because we have made a few changes to our phones, this proves the issue is with the software or at the least with the way LG manages throttling.

Games are a separate issue and yes I can see that it might struggle with some games, but I don't play games, so I don't care.

I have a G2 and a G3, the G3 wins most races. It opens apps a little quicker, it returns to the home screen instantly. Youtube is a well know slow opener, its virtually instant on the G3, the G2 is a fraction behind. My work friends M8 is about the same.

Its sad really that companies blame the hardware when its actually their software. Even Google are lazy. The Nexus 10 has less transparency than the other Nexus' because they say the GPU is 'too slow'. Explain then why devs have enabled it and its perfectly OK..

os21um

Mar 1, 2011
Fort Lauderdale
In my experience I had enormous lag with xposed running. As soon as I got rid of xposed my G3 was flying again.

Not sure why it was like that but definitely noticed the difference. My lock screen took forever to open or close sometimes and the Facebook app was extraordinarily laggy. Once I got rid of xposed it was an amazingly smooth experience.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

3dawg

Oct 22, 2010
In my experience I had enormous lag with xposed running. As soon as I got rid of xposed my G3 was flying again.

Not sure why it was like that but definitely noticed the difference. My lock screen took forever to open or close sometimes and the Facebook app was extraordinarily laggy. Once I got rid of xposed it was an amazingly smooth experience.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

It's the **** stock launcher. Root and disable it and your performance doubles. I'm not even kidding. Using Nova instead, the whole system feels twice as fast. Stock launcher must be doing some serious **** in the background, eating up cpu cycles and introducing all that disgusting lag.

GoaX

Sep 16, 2014
This chip is not maxed out at all, let's not spread false information please. LG needs to optimize the software for the phone to run correctly. I have enabled 60fps on my phone, and the thing flies now. No lag while scrolling, or while gamingto speak of. The chip has no problems with the resolution.

The thing with Iphone is the way it's set up, Android has more things working in the background eating up ram/etc, that's why optimization is so important. Put an 801 chip into the Iphone, which has MUCH less things running in the background by default, and I guarantee you that the phone will run much faster than with the A7 chip.

Also, rogue apps that are not optimized correctly can also cause serious lag. I recently had the HTC One M8, which ran beautifully, until I downloaded a rogue app that was eating up ram when not in use, and my phone was lagging like crazy.

So it's not really fair to compare android with ios's speed, because all Iphone devices work the same way, and use the same chip. While on Android, there are many factors and apps that can interfere with the OS. Any true Android fan should know how these things work..you can customize the phone to your liking, but you also have to deal with rogue apps and ram issues sometimes.

Hi..... What is the procedure to enable 60 fps on G3. I recieved my phone 2 days back and am actually new to these things.

Thanks......

-----------------------

Hi..... What is the procedure to enable 60 fps on G3. I recieved my phone 2 days back and am actually new to these things.

Thanks......

-----------------------

3845#*model number# EG I have 885 version so for me ite 3845#*855#

That takes you to secret setting.
look for Dynamic LCD refresh ON/off
then press fixed FPS test and set to 60fps

Hope this helps

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have zero lag with my processor downclocked to 1.5ghz and 200 mhz GPU

So all this QHD resolution causing lag is complete BS and trolling.

Sent from my LG Gangster 3
    I've seen it happen on old phones of mine that tried to render 1080 but struggled. You get the stutter effect and frame rate dropping because it can't draw it quickly enough. This is a good comparison video too of the more powerful 805 chip Vs the 801 chip

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YCpcEtokiJ0

Clearly thats not the case since I have absolutely zero lag. Its a fact that the GPU isnt stressed in 2D by the QHD, it doesnt even throttle past 330mhz. The 801 is rated for 4K, and only then limited by bandwidth rather than raw power.

Its all about the LG software. It will improve.
    Simply don't feed the trolls/n00bs... Close thread, enjoy the G3, settled :good:
    I agree that G3 performance is bad. Its because the system in chip had to draw all the extra pixels of a QHD display. It causes lag and slowness everywhere.

The QHD display needs a more powerful system on chip.

Its got nothing to do with the QHD screen. The processor is more than capable of rendering QHD in 2D, even 4K wouldnt be a problem.

The problem is LG have very badly optimised the software. The latest revisions are much much faster, Im using v10J and everything is instant. We went through the same problems with the G2.
    Have to disagree,I see no improvement with 10j. Its very obvious the 801 is maxed out.

This chip is not maxed out at all, let's not spread false information please. LG needs to optimize the software for the phone to run correctly. I have enabled 60fps on my phone, and the thing flies now. No lag while scrolling, or while gamingto speak of. The chip has no problems with the resolution.

The thing with Iphone is the way it's set up, Android has more things working in the background eating up ram/etc, that's why optimization is so important. Put an 801 chip into the Iphone, which has MUCH less things running in the background by default, and I guarantee you that the phone will run much faster than with the A7 chip.

Also, rogue apps that are not optimized correctly can also cause serious lag. I recently had the HTC One M8, which ran beautifully, until I downloaded a rogue app that was eating up ram when not in use, and my phone was lagging like crazy.

So it's not really fair to compare android with ios's speed, because all Iphone devices work the same way, and use the same chip. While on Android, there are many factors and apps that can interfere with the OS. Any true Android fan should know how these things work..you can customize the phone to your liking, but you also have to deal with rogue apps and ram issues sometimes.