[Q] Why No Storage Card

Search This thread

phenixdragon

Mar 5, 2010
Got my new SanDisk 32 gig card from J&R and it is a legit card. Works like a charm. No issues at all. Here is a pic of the 2 cards I have. The one from NewEgg is showing it's a class 4, which is fake. This is why I didn't order from Amazon because there are a lot of reviews of people getting this fake class 4. I know NewEgg had some fake cards earlier this year but I was hoping they wouldn't have had any now. I guess I was wrong. :( Not NewEgg's fault, they were sold fake cards not realizing.

Attachments

• Photo_0B251705-4EA8-58CF-BB5C-3F73E76CE14F.jpg
    Photo_0B251705-4EA8-58CF-BB5C-3F73E76CE14F.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
......card installed.took 7hrs to get anything on screen and extremely slow.
gave up and put in original 16gb and it wouldnt boot.it kept looping.i did the power on/hold both volume and had the option for crc check or system default.....its reloaded now,just glad mob is not toasted
after seeing the how-to vid for changing the cards,i am not suprised some mobs get damaged.i can change the sd card in less than 5 mins using a plastic tool that i got with new phone case....far safer than poking a screwdriver in the internals!
have ordered a 32gb sandisk class 2....will post how it goes.
i am looking out for ways to read the other sd card....perhaps as it is in raid....could it be possible to make an hd7 emulator and ghost copy the card to get the raid seeing correct?
have actually read micro sd in an sd adaptor on my tomtom before....and these were cards that could not be read in windows!

ROB

should have done more research. Only the sandisk (mainly) have worked properly. Not one kingston has worked that I have read about.
You need a nokia phone to reformat the card. Once again, common knowledge with a little research.

Read all 22 pages, lots of cluster i have to say.

Can some one type out clear step by step button for button instructions for how to boot the phone properly once the new card is put in.

Not turn on reboot, boot up check screen ur good to go..

step by step exactly so far i think i need to stand on one leg, hold the volume button and scream while gently rocking the volume button back and forth.. please advise :)

Also correct me if I am wrong, were we not able to replace our SD cards on HD2 without even a normal reboot? I used to pop mine in and out and never saw any lag on the OS.. odd that a new OS requires u to do a hard factory boot.

Thanks in advance

Those sd card are considered external storage where on any wp7 phone, any sd card is immediately secured as part of the hard drive.

Alexander Man

Feb 23, 2010
Glad it worked!

Got my new SanDisk 32 gig card from J&R and it is a legit card. Works like a charm. No issues at all. Here is a pic of the 2 cards I have. The one from NewEgg is showing it's a class 4, which is fake. This is why I didn't order from Amazon because there are a lot of reviews of people getting this fake class 4. I know NewEgg had some fake cards earlier this year but I was hoping they wouldn't have had any now. I guess I was wrong. :( Not NewEgg's fault, they were sold fake cards not realizing.

Hi phinexdragon, glad you got your Sandisk 32gb Class 2 to work! I've got the same card on order... hopefully it is a legit one! Just wondering if you have notice any performance hit with it? Is WP7 OS still buttery smooth (like when you browse through your Zune music collection) and when you record HD movies, does it play back okay? Can't wait to get my HD7!

phenixdragon

Mar 5, 2010
Hi phinexdragon, glad you got your Sandisk 32gb Class 2 to work! I've got the same card on order... hopefully it is a legit one! Just wondering if you have notice any performance hit with it? Is WP7 OS still buttery smooth (like when you browse through your Zune music collection) and when you record HD movies, does it play back okay? Can't wait to get my HD7!

So far everything seems to work as normal. Haven't noticed an slowness or anything wrong with any of the apps I have tried, including Zune. I kind of think this is the same card as the 8 and 166 gig cards being used, as this is the same series of cards. Even though those are rated class 4 and this is class 2, I think they are the same and the reason for being class 2 is that it's 32 gigs and maybe when they test them for their rating they transfer more data or something, which more data means slower. Could be wrong though.

phenixdragon

Mar 5, 2010
Actually I may see a problem. I am trying to play some songs in Zune, and it works until about 2 or 3 songs play. Than the Zune software locks up. I unlock the screen, open Zune and it shows loading. Then disappears. It's weird how the songs play through until the end of the song. I'm not sure if it is because of the SD card or what. I tried another hard reset, same issue.

Alexander Man

Feb 23, 2010
Actually I may see a problem. I am trying to play some songs in Zune, and it works until about 2 or 3 songs play. Than the Zune software locks up. I unlock the screen, open Zune and it shows loading. Then disappears. It's weird how the songs play through until the end of the song. I'm not sure if it is because of the SD card or what. I tried another hard reset, same issue.

Thanks for the info, Phenixdragon. I had similar problems when I owned a HTC HD2 with a 16 micro SD card. When I used then HTC Sense player, it stuttered from time to time when I browsed through my library (6-7GB worth). I'll let you know if it happens with my HD7 soon!

phenixdragon

Mar 5, 2010
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problem when using a 32 gig card. Huge disappointment if this is the case. It only acts up with the screen locked and it stops working after 2 or 3 songs are played. If the screen isn't locked, seems to work just fine.

phenixdragon

Mar 5, 2010
Today I rode my motorcycle home from work and during the ride, music kept playing all the way home. Maybe through 10 songs. Yet, when I was at work and when I rode into work, it was like 2 or 3 songs and it would just stop. Not sure why but maybe it's okay now.

Question though, can you take a card from 1 WP7 phone and use it in another WP7? Or will it not see it?

Last edited:

VizagDude

Jan 31, 2007
New York
I ordered a SanDisk 32GB Class 2 Micro SD card, which I received today. As soon as I opened the package, I noticed the card said it was 32GB Class 4, thank to you, I immediately knew it was similar to the one you received from NewEgg that did not work. So I called them to return the card.

But I see that you are having other problems with the Class 2 as well. I shall wait and see how it is working for others before I order another one.

phenixdragon

Mar 5, 2010
I found out my answer, you can use a card from another WP7, it will be read.

I dropped my HD7 today before getting on my bike (motorcycle) and scratched the screen so I am going to take it back. I had another HD7 for my wife who doesn't want it so it was unopened. I am testing out the music right now. I have it playing right now while I watch TV so I am going to let it be for 30 minutes before touching it. Maybe the other phone was bad.

phenixdragon

Mar 5, 2010
Used it again today playing music and no problems at all. Worked as normal. I really do think my other HD7 was bad. I never used it with the 16 gig card for music but I'm sure I would have seen the same problem.

BANKROBBER

Jul 13, 2007
32gb sandisk class2....

....all running and no problems.
well just 1....i need a 64gb card now :rolleyes:
could it be the same theory as my computer?....i wonder......my server runs dual 4 core amd and will only use 667 reg mem at 32gb installed.it is running raid 0 ,and if i put double the ram at 800 it runs slower.....all to do with matching and clock cycles i think.
anyway...thinking out loud!.....pleased it went ok and installed and got all the apps back on in 15mins :D

ROB

navarde

Aug 30, 2007
Fout Lauderdale
Hd 7 control

New feed from HD7 ...rcved at work...if a sd card is to be removed a high speed SD card is neededand which is not available in many places....google it. They just want to make it harder for us!. Don't they?

Jim Coleman

Sep 11, 2008
(With apologies for cross-posting this from the Windows Phone 7 General section.)

Right, let me give my own perspective on this.

Until recently I was a WM6 user. I regularly upgraded my phone, and the last one was an HD2. WM phones never came with any real amount of storage, just a piffling amount of internal memory (what, 500MB?). I was therefore faced with the added cost and hassle of having to purchase a memory card and insert it into the phone. This was a bit like buying a PC without a hard disk and having to buy and install your own. It was an added hassle and expense.

Once you had your SD card inserted, you were then faced with the decision of where to store the data for each of your apps. Take email - do you store all your emails and attachments on the internal memory, thus using up a good chunk of that precious resource, but having it work quickly, or do you store it all on the SD card, where there's a lot more room but it's slow and clunky, and if anyone steals your phone they can pop the card out and get at the data? When you install apps, you're again given the choice of where to install it. Do you go for the speed of internal storage? Do you put it on the SD card, knowing if you ever pop out the card, your app will be unavailable? Decisions, decisions.... Too much damned complexity. The average user shouldn't be faced with these choices, if I install an app, it should just go on the phone wherever, period.

Not only that, once my card was in there, I never once removed it. The majority of my apps were on it, my emails, and all my media. I totally filled it with media. Popping out that card would more or less break my phone. My apps wouldn't work, my emails would be missing......so I never did. Nor did I ever use it as a mass storage drive....because there was never any free space on it. Instead I had a 32GB USB memory key hanging from my keychain - that was my portable mass storage solution.

Not only this, if I wanted to put media onto the card, I had to connect to the PC and drag and drop my stuff directly onto the phone. What a hassle! Doing this didn't optimize the size of the photos for the phone's screen. It didn't drop the bitrate of my mp3s, it didn't convert videos to the right size and format. All that had to be done manually, and I never bothered, so my media took up a lot more room than it had to. So inefficient.

So, given that I never removed the card, and that doing so would hose my phone, and that it was always full, so never got used as mass storage, and that it was insecure, and an added expense and hassle, and putting media on the card was a manual process, what would I have done in a next generation phone to cure all these issues?

Well, I would have made sure the phone came with plenty of onboard memory, and I would have removed the distinction between internal memory and the "card" so it was all one storage container. I would have secured the memory so even if it could be removed, the data couldn't be read in another device. I would have made sure the memory was fast enough to deal properly with a modern OS. I would automate the process of converting and downsizing media by using software on the PC to automatically perform those tasks. I'd also make the process wireless and fully automatic. I'd.......oh wait, that's what Microsoft already did in WP7.

So I'm happy, even if you lot ain't.

phenixdragon

Mar 5, 2010
(With apologies for cross-posting this from the Windows Phone 7 General section.)

Right, let me give my own perspective on this.

Until recently I was a WM6 user. I regularly upgraded my phone, and the last one was an HD2. WM phones never came with any real amount of storage, just a piffling amount of internal memory (what, 500MB?). I was therefore faced with the added cost and hassle of having to purchase a memory card and insert it into the phone. This was a bit like buying a PC without a hard disk and having to buy and install your own. It was an added hassle and expense.

Once you had your SD card inserted, you were then faced with the decision of where to store the data for each of your apps. Take email - do you store all your emails and attachments on the internal memory, thus using up a good chunk of that precious resource, but having it work quickly, or do you store it all on the SD card, where there's a lot more room but it's slow and clunky, and if anyone steals your phone they can pop the card out and get at the data? When you install apps, you're again given the choice of where to install it. Do you go for the speed of internal storage? Do you put it on the SD card, knowing if you ever pop out the card, your app will be unavailable? Decisions, decisions.... Too much damned complexity. The average user shouldn't be faced with these choices, if I install an app, it should just go on the phone wherever, period.

Not only that, once my card was in there, I never once removed it. The majority of my apps were on it, my emails, and all my media. I totally filled it with media. Popping out that card would more or less break my phone. My apps wouldn't work, my emails would be missing......so I never did. Nor did I ever use it as a mass storage drive....because there was never any free space on it. Instead I had a 32GB USB memory key hanging from my keychain - that was my portable mass storage solution.

Not only this, if I wanted to put media onto the card, I had to connect to the PC and drag and drop my stuff directly onto the phone. What a hassle! Doing this didn't optimize the size of the photos for the phone's screen. It didn't drop the bitrate of my mp3s, it didn't convert videos to the right size and format. All that had to be done manually, and I never bothered, so my media took up a lot more room than it had to. So inefficient.

So, given that I never removed the card, and that doing so would hose my phone, and that it was always full, so never got used as mass storage, and that it was insecure, and an added expense and hassle, and putting media on the card was a manual process, what would I have done in a next generation phone to cure all these issues?

Well, I would have made sure the phone came with plenty of onboard memory, and I would have removed the distinction between internal memory and the "card" so it was all one storage container. I would have secured the memory so even if it could be removed, the data couldn't be read in another device. I would have made sure the memory was fast enough to deal properly with a modern OS. I would automate the process of converting and downsizing media by using software on the PC to automatically perform those tasks. I'd also make the process wireless and fully automatic. I'd.......oh wait, that's what Microsoft already did in WP7.

So I'm happy, even if you lot ain't.

Man, I hope you never hurt your brain too hard when using an SD card in a phone. All those decisions to make. Gez, how did you make it? :confused::eek: You should have looked into a Razr, it would have made your entire life easier. All in all, nobody really cares how the phone handles the SD card, we just want user replacable so we can go bigger. That's all this is about, nothing more, nothing less. Though some do want mass storage but personally, I don't. Just want to add more space.

Last edited: