[Q] WiFi problem: stuck on "getting IP address"

Search This thread

Gadgeteer81

Dec 4, 2010
Fix that worked for two of my devices

I had the same issue on my Tab and my Bell Vibrant (after upgrading to Froyo). The devices would get stuck in "Obtaining IP Address".

This is what worked for me:

To Fix Android going into “Obtaining IP Address” loop:
rm /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list

It seems to come from the fact that the phone requests its previous IP address to the access point, without any discover message, whereas the lease has expired from the AP point of view...

The previous leases are stored in /data/misc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.lease and /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list. You just have to remove the second file (dhcp_list) to force the phone to start a new dhcp negotiation.

dattrax

Jul 18, 2008
I found rebooting my router (WNR2000) helped. I have the same issue with my galaxy S. Looking round the web, other people with linksys products have similar issues with ipads/itouch. You don't have a linksys router like me do you?

Reactions: Misanthropy81

cbb77

Nov 28, 2010
Massachusetts
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8T
I've also run into this and fixed it by setting a static IP. However didn't want to do this on the Tab as it would require me to remember to change it if using outside my home. A better solution I found was to setup a static IP on my router. Basically I recorded the MAC address of the TAB on my router and had it hand out the same IP address each time. This works like a charm and I can keep the Tab set to DHCP.

Note you can also have the tab forget a network by just deleting it. It works but you do indeed have to set it up and delete like 3 or 4 times. This eventually worked for me before I setup the static on my router. I really did not want to do a hard reset so I kept trying until it worked. I believe it was the 4 time it eventually forgot the original settings.

deedub334

Aug 11, 2010
Northern Virginia
Failure of my Galaxy Tab to connect with my home router happened to to me after working fine on home wifi for 2-3 days after I initially got it. It was stuck looking for the IP address, and just would not connect to my Linksys WRT54GS. Tried everything I could think of to connect, but no luck.

What I did was go to the Linksys site and downloaded the latest firmware update. After I did the update, which has to be done through the IP web page, the Tab linked to the router immediately, and I have had no issues since.

dan0zone

Mar 4, 2007
LYNN
I had the same issue on my Tab and my Bell Vibrant (after upgrading to Froyo). The devices would get stuck in "Obtaining IP Address".

It seems to come from the fact that the phone requests its previous IP address to the access point, without any discover message, whereas the lease has expired from the AP point of view...

The previous leases are stored in /data/misc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.lease and /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list. You just have to remove the second file (dhcp_list) to force the phone to start a new dhcp negotiation.

You SIR ,are a genius WOW !!!!!! ...
This worked like a charm
WOW!!!!!!
Did just what he said using root explorer , then , turned on wifi and instantly locked on .........

etian

Dec 29, 2010
This worked like a charm
WOW!!!!!!
Did just what he said using root explorer , then , turned on wifi and instantly locked on .........

hi, where is /data/misc/dhcp? Why i cannot find the directory in my tab? the wireless issue seems in every tab!

Mrmarc

Mar 19, 2008

This worked like a charm
WOW!!!!!!

hi, where is /data/misc/dhcp? Why i cannot find the directory in my tab? the wireless issue seems in every tab!

Got same problem but I like to believe this is the solution for it. However it is not clear to me how you did it.

Do you root the tab first before using a root explorer? Seems kinda logical to me :) .

Last edited:

Mrmarc

Mar 19, 2008
Instructions for deleting dhcp_list file: Manual reset dhcp in Galaxy Tab

Got same problem but I like to believe this is the solution for it. However it is not clear to me how you did it.

Do you root the tab first before using a root explorer? Seems kinda logical to me :) .

Ah nevermind. I found out how to delete or rename the file. Here are the instructions for similar noobs like me:

1. Download from the Market 'root explorer' or a similar program. I used the free 'Super Manager' with included root file explorer. You must enable the root function in Super Manager, otherwise you don't see the folders.
2. root your Galaxy Tab --> see SuperoneClick and theunlockr.com
3. Within the file explorer you should go up to root map folder (in short: "rm").
4. Then follow the instructions of Gadgeteer81. You can either delete the file or rename it:

5. Soft reset your device by turning it off&on.
6. Turn on you wifi at your device. Hopefully it will connect to your wifi. Well ... at least mine did :rolleyes:

Before I started the above I also created a static IP address in my wlan router. Hopefully that will prevent future problems.

But serious, this problem is really lame. It also exists on the galaxy S phone. We should really complain at Samsung for not coming with a friendly solution for us!

Last edited:
Reactions: drew1266

drew1266

Jan 5, 2011
Ah nevermind. I found out how to delete or rename the file. Here are the instructions for similar noobs like me:

1. Download from the Market 'root explorer' or a similar program. I used the free 'Super Manager' with included root file explorer. You must enable the root function in Super Manager, otherwise you don't see the folders.
3. Within the file explorer you should go up to root map folder (in short: "rm").
4. Then follow the instructions of Gadgeteer81. You can either delete the file or rename it:

6. Turn on you wifi at your device. Hopefully it will connect to your wifi. Well ... at least mine did :rolleyes:

Before I started the above I also created a static IP address in my wlan router. Hopefully that will prevent future problems.

But serious, this problem is really lame. It also exists on the galaxy S phone. We should really complain at Samsung for not coming with a friendly solution for us!

This works perfectly. Is it possible to create a shortcut or for someone with some knowledge to create a widget or app? This would be most helpful. Thanks to all.

king.com

Dec 14, 2010
YES!!!!

After a couple of hours searching the web, I finally found here the fix and works like a charm.

I created the file dhcpcd.exit-hook with this only line (as described):

...and works. Everytime phone tries to connect my AP, now, do all the work and ask for a new IP with all dhcp protocol each time.

I can finally go to sleep.

THANKS!!!!

dubie76

May 22, 2010
Austin
www.driphter.com

Thanks bro! It worked with no issues. Tmobile Galaxy tab tech support didnt even know how to fix this. They wanted me to do a master reset! +1 thanks for you.

Mfloresg

Jan 5, 2011
After a couple of hours searching the web, I finally found here the fix and works like a charm.

I created the file dhcpcd.exit-hook with this only line (as described):

...and works. Everytime phone tries to connect my AP, now, do all the work and ask for a new IP with all dhcp protocol each time.

I can finally go to sleep.

THANKS!!!!

How/what did you do to make this work? Ive been deleting that file (dhcp_list) every couple of weeksto get new ip.

Where did you read this?

msg on mobile

azbaig

Feb 14, 2009

Gadgeteer81, thanks a ton. your method worked for me also.

What i also did was to reserve the same IP address in my wifi router for the galaxy tab; hopefully this way i do not have to delete the /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list file everytime while still maintain to have DHCP.

till now it seems to working; will revert back if i have face the same problem again.

the issue is clearly with galaxy tab software and not the wifi router (where some people with similar problems in many forums have highlighted).

Jan 21, 2011
Guangzhou, China
Gadgeteer81 is right

I read the whole post, tried everything with my galaxy tab...

The changing wlan channels did nothing for me.
The different 802.11 options also did nothing.

I had to root, and it works until the lease expires.
Then I need to repeat

It would be good to know if you are using the same/similar wireless router.

mine is a linksys wrt54gc ver 2.0

Galaxy tab
Froyo

Q

ayman07

Feb 25, 2010

guys im still having this issue...so damn frustrating. i am using modaco's latest alpha 2 ROM but i have tried JME and it still is doing the same thing. i tried deleting the files and even performed a hard reset and i cant solve it. the problem with it is that i can do anything about the network settings because I am trying to connect at school. Its set, i cant do anything about it. i know it use to work when i was on JMC and i want to say that the problem started when i went to JME. right now when i got into the dhcp folder there are no folders (i didnt delete them...they just arnt there). after i flashed modaco's rom i went into root explorer and there was nothing there which i guess is explainable since i havent connected to wifi since i flashed the rom (this should give it a reason to work since there are no prior history of connecting a wifi spot). i dont just get stuck with "getting ip" sometimes it just says connecting then says disconnected, most often times the SSID will show up then i would try to connect to it then it suddenly disappears. this is such a pain in the ass, its really lame. its worse cuz i dont have 3G here. anyone have another solution?

code841

Jan 25, 2011
With a rooted SGS, I successfully removed the dhcp_list file thus fixing the problem.
But as this is a regular occurance, I downloaded the free android app, Scripter (by fazik logic). Since I can't post links yet, just search for Scripter in the market.

Allowed it root access with SU and saved the single command line script:

So now all I need to do is run the script whenever it's stuck "Obtaining ip address.."

Reactions: drew1266

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fix that worked for two of my devices

I found rebooting my router (WNR2000) helped. I have the same issue with my galaxy S. Looking round the web, other people with linksys products have similar issues with ipads/itouch. You don't have a linksys router like me do you?
    Instructions for deleting dhcp_list file: Manual reset dhcp in Galaxy Tab

With a rooted SGS, I successfully removed the dhcp_list file thus fixing the problem.
    But as this is a regular occurance, I downloaded the free android app, Scripter (by fazik logic). Since I can't post links yet, just search for Scripter in the market.

Allowed it root access with SU and saved the single command line script:

So now all I need to do is run the script whenever it's stuck "Obtaining ip address.."
    HI All,
    Solution is unplug the power of your modem and leave it for a minute and also unplug the router. Now plug the power of the modem back and wait till all the lights turns on and now plug the power of the router and wait for a minute until all the lights are on the router. Restart your GT and now configure your wifi seetings in GT. It happened to me and doing above steps resolve the issue. My router can only hook upto five wireless devices that was the problem no issue with GT. If i helped you please hit the Thanks button.