[Q] WiFi problem: stuck on "getting IP address"

Search This thread

lojikl

Aug 7, 2008
I've also run into this and fixed it by setting a static IP. However didn't want to do this on the Tab as it would require me to remember to change it if using outside my home. A better solution I found was to setup a static IP on my router. Basically I recorded the MAC address of the TAB on my router and had it hand out the same IP address each time. This works like a charm and I can keep the Tab set to DHCP.

Note you can also have the tab forget a network by just deleting it. It works but you do indeed have to set it up and delete like 3 or 4 times. This eventually worked for me before I setup the static on my router. I really did not want to do a hard reset so I kept trying until it worked. I believe it was the 4 time it eventually forgot the original settings.
Setting a static lease on my Router also fixed the issue for me and is much better than setting a static IP address on the Galaxy S.

lojikl

Aug 7, 2008
Nice !

This worked nicely for me. I also had it working by just creating a Fixed Lease on my router, I'll try this for now and see how it goes.

Someone sure dropped the ball here....I have 60 dollar IP Cameras that have better DHCP then this damn phone ! Or is this an Android issue....

NearlyFreeSolutions

Mar 25, 2011
An app to reset the lease information, please let us know if your device is not recognised.

HTML:
market.android.com/details?id=nearlyfree.apps.tools.nearlyfreegalaxydhcpfix

(Requires root)

Last edited:

hoang51

Mar 20, 2011
I had the same issue on my Tab and my Bell Vibrant (after upgrading to Froyo). The devices would get stuck in "Obtaining IP Address".

This is what worked for me:

To Fix Android going into “Obtaining IP Address” loop:
rm /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list

Thanks for the fix. It works on the Tmobile Samsung Vibrant with Android 2.2.

IP IHI II IL

Sep 16, 2010
I think the problem lies in the storage credentials. I have the same problem at work, and as soon as I tap the SSN it brings up the storage credentials password prompt. It'll save it as long as I don't restart. It's a new Gingerbread security. Kinda annoying but can't hate added security.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

stonedsun

Mar 14, 2011
It looks like deleting "/data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list" does not help me.
The file gets re-created each time I turn on / reconnect to WiFi.

--

I often get WiFi “stuck” when I move from one location to another: WiFi AP list is not refreshed and it keeps “reconnecting” to the last connected AP.

So I had to turn off and on WiFi (sometimes few times because it displayed “error” while turning on).

My workaround is to start “killall -HUP wpa_supplicant”. It looks like wpa_supplicant gets stuck and stops connecting to any APs and “killall” command helps.

I installed GScript Lite to create a desktop shortcut for this command.

BTW, this should be run under “su” – you should have a rooted device.

P.S.
market.android.com/details?id=nearlyfree.apps.tools.nearlyfreegalaxydhcpfix
It says my device is unsupported (GT-P1000).

Last edited:

Panama TJ

Jan 1, 2011
With a rooted SGS, I successfully removed the dhcp_list file thus fixing the problem.
But as this is a regular occurance, I downloaded the free android app, Scripter (by fazik logic). Since I can't post links yet, just search for Scripter in the market.

Allowed it root access with SU and saved the single command line script:

So now all I need to do is run the script whenever it's stuck "Obtaining ip address.."

Worked like a charm... root you android phone, get super user, get scripter, make script as above. :)

Dyne86

Aug 13, 2010
I had the same issue on my Tab and my Bell Vibrant (after upgrading to Froyo). The devices would get stuck in "Obtaining IP Address".

It seems to come from the fact that the phone requests its previous IP address to the access point, without any discover message, whereas the lease has expired from the AP point of view...

The previous leases are stored in /data/misc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.lease and /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list. You just have to remove the second file (dhcp_list) to force the phone to start a new dhcp negotiation.

What if dhcp_list is not present?

joshua3_ph

Jul 14, 2006
Muharraq, Bahrain
for those of you having an issue with wifi connectivity on the 10.1 i suggest that you do a firmware update OTA or thru KIES software, there was a bug that has been rectified by samsung with this new update.

naviddabest

Apr 1, 2012
Help plz long story

i need the most biggest problem. recently ive been trying to find the best custom rom available for my phone and so the rom was no working because of the recovery. clockwork recovery version 3. so i change my recovery to 2.5 and as i read on about the rom it ha to be at leaste version 3 or the recovery wont show up. and then disaster strikes when my wifi keeps looping on obtaining ip address so im bassically stuck on a bad rom since i need internet to change my recovery so i cannot reset or change rom. so that wont work and so i trie removing the battary even for a day that didnt work, then i tried using a static ip but then i could not find my ip so i got the other details using my psp but that didnt show my gateway and on my pc thats running on vista, if i go on cmd comand prompt my pc restarts so that method wont work so i used something like 192.168.1.1 and also 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.25 and this didnt work. i also tried the method that was mentione saying to delete the dhcp list bu when i whent into the directory there was nothing there. I NEED HELP!!!!!!! PLZ

Siezemore

Feb 16, 2012
For me the problem was solved after I pressed DHCP release and after that DHCP renew in my router. I don't know if I had the same problem like you guys though. But it was similar at least.

rudysloup

May 2, 2010
I have had this problem many times too, one thing I noticed is that when it happens to 1 android device they all go down. Now I have a diverse array, Epic 4G running CM9 or 10, kindle fire stock ROM, Evo 3D ICS and evo 4g lte running ICS, note that the evo 3d still had the problem before the ICS update.

Another thing, I had this problem happening almost every other day on my DGL-4300 router, and I falsely thought it was a router problem so I actually went out and spent like $400 decking out my house with a whole new network. Mikrotik + a pair of Unifis, 1 pro, 1 LR.

After all that everything ran fine for about a month then bam I get hit again. Our whole HT system goes down as we are remodeling and I notice no problems, now I am starting to put it all back together and I have the problem again. The only fix is to shut off all devices and shut down the entire network.

Basically 1 phone goes bad and I think it kills the whole network, or whatever even triggers it does it for the whole network. But it is odd I had it seemingly solved for a while without a problem

I think this is really a problem to trouble shoot because alot of people do not have any more than 1 android device, and usually very small networks so they cant recognize patterns. I cant either but I know that my wireless xbox controllers might be doing something. It seems to correlate with their use / existence. Could be I am just crazy though.

Whatever the cause is, Google needs to figure out how to motivate carriers to fix it on all devices because who knows how many insurance claims and resets have occurred thanks to this bug.

Unplugging my whole system and getting it running again had been solving it for me, but today not even that would do it. Had to factory reset the WAP.

Anyhow I will see if I can try some suggestions in this thread but I only have 1 rooted phone.

gcd0318

Nov 13, 2011
Static ip won't help, yes you can connect to wifi with static ip, but cannot get connection to internet. This is a bug of android, and ITs in Princeton univ. had some investigation. It's due to renew and release of address. 4.2 should have fixed it

Sent from my HTC Z710e using xda premium

pdahiker

Dec 22, 2006
Northern California
I don't have a Galaxy Tab, but a Google search led me here, and the Galaxy Tab DHCP Fix app worked on my rooted Samsung Infuse running 4.1.2, and I suspect it will work for most other devices.

MikeTyTn2

Jan 24, 2010
Bolton
Virgin Galaxy SIII Mini Blue WiFi Not Working

Hi,
Phone worked fine but being able to use WiFi is important to us.
The first handset would get to the available WiFi list page and show my WiFi signal as good. Selecting it prompted a request for the password, but once entered, instead of connecting to the WiFi it goes back to the available WiFi list and starts searching again.
After much faffing about on Virgin Tech Support lines, a new phone was sent but the fault is exactly the same.
A quick Google shows that there are any number of people having the same problem (the most common explanation seems to be that the version of Android is the problem and installing an earlier version fixes the problem) so I've cancelled the contract and returned the phones.

Is this a common problem with Android phones? I need to find an alternative...

Regards,
Mike

Tlingitsoldier

Mar 19, 2011
Olympia
I ran across this issue at my work. What turned out to be the problem was the DHCP server was holding allowing devices to hold onto leases for too long. So the devices would keep grabbing up leases, and eventually the addresses would run out. We fixed it by simply changing the lease duration. We didn't have to do anything with the devices, like clearing the Tab's DHCP entries through Root Explorer Hope this is useful to anyone having troubles.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fix that worked for two of my devices

It seems to come from the fact that the phone requests its previous IP address to the access point, without any discover message, whereas the lease has expired from the AP point of view...

The previous leases are stored in /data/misc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.lease and /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list. You just have to remove the second file (dhcp_list) to force the phone to start a new dhcp negotiation.
    I found rebooting my router (WNR2000) helped. I have the same issue with my galaxy S. Looking round the web, other people with linksys products have similar issues with ipads/itouch. You don't have a linksys router like me do you?
    Instructions for deleting dhcp_list file: Manual reset dhcp in Galaxy Tab

Got same problem but I like to believe this is the solution for it. However it is not clear to me how you did it.

Do you root the tab first before using a root explorer? Seems kinda logical to me :) .

Ah nevermind. I found out how to delete or rename the file. Here are the instructions for similar noobs like me:

1. Download from the Market 'root explorer' or a similar program. I used the free 'Super Manager' with included root file explorer. You must enable the root function in Super Manager, otherwise you don't see the folders.
    2. root your Galaxy Tab --> see SuperoneClick and theunlockr.com
    3. Within the file explorer you should go up to root map folder (in short: "rm").
    4. Then follow the instructions of Gadgeteer81. You can either delete the file or rename it:

5. Soft reset your device by turning it off&on.
    6. Turn on you wifi at your device. Hopefully it will connect to your wifi. Well ... at least mine did :rolleyes:

Before I started the above I also created a static IP address in my wlan router. Hopefully that will prevent future problems.

But serious, this problem is really lame. It also exists on the galaxy S phone. We should really complain at Samsung for not coming with a friendly solution for us!
    With a rooted SGS, I successfully removed the dhcp_list file thus fixing the problem.
    But as this is a regular occurance, I downloaded the free android app, Scripter (by fazik logic). Since I can't post links yet, just search for Scripter in the market.

Allowed it root access with SU and saved the single command line script:

So now all I need to do is run the script whenever it's stuck "Obtaining ip address.."
    HI All,
    Solution is unplug the power of your modem and leave it for a minute and also unplug the router. Now plug the power of the modem back and wait till all the lights turns on and now plug the power of the router and wait for a minute until all the lights are on the router. Restart your GT and now configure your wifi seetings in GT. It happened to me and doing above steps resolve the issue. My router can only hook upto five wireless devices that was the problem no issue with GT. If i helped you please hit the Thanks button.