[Q] WiFi problem: stuck on "getting IP address"

Search This thread

tabing

Dec 18, 2010
HI All,
Solution is unplug the power of your modem and leave it for a minute and also unplug the router. Now plug the power of the modem back and wait till all the lights turns on and now plug the power of the router and wait for a minute until all the lights are on the router. Restart your GT and now configure your wifi seetings in GT. It happened to me and doing above steps resolve the issue. My router can only hook upto five wireless devices that was the problem no issue with GT. If i helped you please hit the Thanks button.

Reactions: Srini2308

Coolsaber57

Jan 8, 2010
Ok, here's my question:

Where in Android is the DHCP functionality? In the kernel? If so, couldnt someone potentially add this line into the source code and recompile it, solving this problem once and for all?

nisid

Feb 9, 2011
With a rooted SGS, I successfully removed the dhcp_list file thus fixing the problem.
But as this is a regular occurance, I downloaded the free android app, Scripter (by fazik logic). Since I can't post links yet, just search for Scripter in the market.

Allowed it root access with SU and saved the single command line script:
rm /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list

So now all I need to do is run the script whenever it's stuck "Obtaining ip address.."

Hey could i get step by step info on this. allowed to root access with SU is where i'm lost.

sransari

Jan 6, 2011
Gr8 instructions. Worked perfectly but its super lame that a simple renew and release is so complicated....hopefully there will be an update soon.

Ah nevermind. I found out how to delete or rename the file. Here are the instructions for similar noobs like me:

1. Download from the Market 'root explorer' or a similar program. I used the free 'Super Manager' with included root file explorer. You must enable the root function in Super Manager, otherwise you don't see the folders.
2. root your Galaxy Tab --> see SuperoneClick and theunlockr.com
3. Within the file explorer you should go up to root map folder (in short: "rm").
4. Then follow the instructions of Gadgeteer81. You can either delete the file or rename it:

5. Soft reset your device by turning it off&on.
6. Turn on you wifi at your device. Hopefully it will connect to your wifi. Well ... at least mine did :rolleyes:

Before I started the above I also created a static IP address in my wlan router. Hopefully that will prevent future problems.

But serious, this problem is really lame. It also exists on the galaxy S phone. We should really complain at Samsung for not coming with a friendly solution for us!

galexandr

Oct 28, 2009
Gr8 instructions. Worked perfectly but its super lame that a simple renew and release is so complicated....hopefully there will be an update soon.
guys,

I followed everything to the letter, several times,

But i still get this silly: Connecting... Disconnected... Scanning... in a loop? Any ides?

Thank you much,

BTW, i have Sprint Galaxy Tab (Rooted), and Verizon Fios Router.

alex2792

Jun 6, 2010
I have this problem at my parents house the wifi just loops,same thing was happening with my ipad as well. The only solution I found is to use static IP.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

daniel.weck

Nov 2, 2010
daniel.weck.free.fr
I've had the Tab for 5 months, and for the first time today I have this "obtaining IP address" problem... ! :confused:
aLogCat shows that the lease is obtained, but the daemon is instantly killed by the wifi service...it seems to be a timing problem.

thehaunted

Dec 16, 2008
Wifi fixed*

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-tab...ng/218534-cannot-connect-wifi-galaxy-tab.html

"
Tried this and it worked:
Originally Posted by jeffff
OK, I just tried something.......go to the Allshare App on the Tab and connect to wifi thru there.

"
/data/misc/dhcp/ was empty.... but after a succesful connection
/data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list is now filled

If future problems occur I will rm /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list with Scripter app.
Thanxx all
PS I don have a Tab yet, figured this out for a friend :p

daniel.weck

Nov 2, 2010
daniel.weck.free.fr
I used the /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list trick, to no avail. :(
Then today, my Tab entered a infinite boot loop at the blue animated Samsung logo. :eek: I didn't want to factory-reset, so instead I flashed factory.rfs using Heimdall. It cured all the problems :rolleyes: The advantage is that all I had to do was re-root, and reinstate the build.prop fingerprint, LCD density, CSC mps_code.dat. Easy peasy. :D

pawces

Jan 21, 2008
Manila
had this problem for 3 weeks,then last night it just worked! i didnt do anything different.weird tablet is weird..

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Symbolikone

Feb 12, 2009
Hi there, I am using a Bell GT. I do not see rm (is this a directory)... I also do not see the directory path

/data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list

anyone know why that may be? I rooted my device, and searched in Super Manager, as well as through Windows connected via usb.

Thanks in advance.

Symbolikone

Feb 12, 2009
Ok, I realize that there is a setting in Super Manager that allows you to see root directories. Until it is checked you can't see the hidden directories EVEN if the device is rooted...

minabdalla

Jan 9, 2008
i cant find the directori, i got to rm/data and nothin is there. and i checked the hidden files in the setting and still nothign. any clue?

kelvs

Jun 16, 2005
my friend has a tab with this problem.

is this a rom issue? will simply flashing a different rom fix this?

mingkee

I had the same issue on my Tab and my Bell Vibrant (after upgrading to Froyo). The devices would get stuck in "Obtaining IP Address".

This is what worked for me:

To Fix Android going into “Obtaining IP Address” loop:

It seems to come from the fact that the phone requests its previous IP address to the access point, without any discover message, whereas the lease has expired from the AP point of view...

The previous leases are stored in /data/misc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.lease and /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list. You just have to remove the second file (dhcp_list) to force the phone to start a new dhcp negotiation.

This trick seems to work for me. Moreover, I set an IP reserve table for GTab (similar with static IP) on the main router.
Samsung needs to fix this problem as I have 0 wifi problem with NS (connects instantly with any of 5 APs at home.

Rising_Sun82

Jan 23, 2011
I had the same issue on my Tab and my Bell Vibrant (after upgrading to Froyo). The devices would get stuck in "Obtaining IP Address".

It seems to come from the fact that the phone requests its previous IP address to the access point, without any discover message, whereas the lease has expired from the AP point of view...

The previous leases are stored in /data/misc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.lease and /data/misc/dhcp/dhcp_list. You just have to remove the second file (dhcp_list) to force the phone to start a new dhcp negotiation.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you
oh and btw... Thank you.

jnrdavo

Jul 14, 2009
Originally Posted by code841
With a rooted SGS, I successfully removed the dhcp_list file thus fixing the problem.
But as this is a regular occurance, I downloaded the free android app, Scripter (by fazik logic). Since I can't post links yet, just search for Scripter in the market.

So now all I need to do is run the script whenever it's stuck "Obtaining ip address.."

This worked a treat for me too.... Tried some of the other things, but this is the only one that worked straight away.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Fix that worked for two of my devices

I found rebooting my router (WNR2000) helped. I have the same issue with my galaxy S. Looking round the web, other people with linksys products have similar issues with ipads/itouch. You don't have a linksys router like me do you?
    Instructions for deleting dhcp_list file: Manual reset dhcp in Galaxy Tab

Got same problem but I like to believe this is the solution for it. However it is not clear to me how you did it.

Do you root the tab first before using a root explorer? Seems kinda logical to me :) .

Ah nevermind. I found out how to delete or rename the file. Here are the instructions for similar noobs like me:

1. Download from the Market 'root explorer' or a similar program. I used the free 'Super Manager' with included root file explorer. You must enable the root function in Super Manager, otherwise you don't see the folders.
    2. root your Galaxy Tab --> see SuperoneClick and theunlockr.com
    3. Within the file explorer you should go up to root map folder (in short: "rm").
    4. Then follow the instructions of Gadgeteer81. You can either delete the file or rename it:

5. Soft reset your device by turning it off&on.
    6. Turn on you wifi at your device. Hopefully it will connect to your wifi. Well ... at least mine did :rolleyes:

Before I started the above I also created a static IP address in my wlan router. Hopefully that will prevent future problems.

But serious, this problem is really lame. It also exists on the galaxy S phone. We should really complain at Samsung for not coming with a friendly solution for us!

HI All,
    Solution is unplug the power of your modem and leave it for a minute and also unplug the router. Now plug the power of the modem back and wait till all the lights turns on and now plug the power of the router and wait for a minute until all the lights are on the router. Restart your GT and now configure your wifi seetings in GT. It happened to me and doing above steps resolve the issue. My router can only hook upto five wireless devices that was the problem no issue with GT. If i helped you please hit the Thanks button.