[Q]Wifi stuck on 'turning on'

Search This thread

jsjohnson1111

Jul 29, 2015
Carrie Question?

Carrier Question?

I know carrier doesn't have anything to do with this, but why not ask. I think everyone is looking for some type of pattern to poke it's head out of the garbage. I have been on T-Mobile for the past two years. I got rid of my home internet connect and was using up to about 20 GBs of data until the Wifi stopped working. I really loved the hotspot feature, but since about last November I have been hotspotless because this doesn't work properly. I have also always wondered if the Wifi on the phone would work without a battery just hooked up to an outlet since part of the problem seems to be the phone overheating. I can't wait to buy Nexus Protect when I get the Nexus 6P, so I can call and complain to someone that has to pretend to care when Google decides to install a junk OS.

Last edited:

Nexus V

Nov 14, 2013
I didn't get an immediate price over the phone. I had to ship it. About 3 weeks later I received an email with the quote and 2 options.

Finally started the RA process today with LG and will be shipping them the phone after I back it up and reset it this weekend. This part has me concerned though- THREE WEEKS for them to even reply back to you? I can certainly get by with my backup phone, but geez what were they doing that entire time? They can't be that understaffed or backed up with that many repairs, can they?

Saadatthedank

Oct 25, 2015
Same problem on the Zenfone 2 now.

Fresh out of the box and I can't even toggle on the wifi. Worst of all everytime it tries to go into sleep mode it restarts/ reboots.
Tried about everything: cache wipes,hard factory resets, newest firmware on Sd card, Flashing the fone, downgrading, changing Cn to WW.

fridaycoffee

Oct 6, 2015
recently i've had several restarts...around 4-5 at about 3 min difference...after that the wireless seems to searching networks again....anyone experiencing the same thing ? my hopes of selling the phone with this issues seem to crumble day by day

phinal

Feb 20, 2010
my N5 died on me quite a few months ago ... around the time I was flashing the some updated factory images of lollipop onto it.

the wifi wouldn't ever work, and after trying to fix it for awhile, it began rebooting every time the screen was turned off (either manually or because of the turn screen off after #mins setting). so i left it rebooting and finally the battery died.

i set the phone aside and didn't touch it till the marshmellow factory images came out and thought i should give it one more try. so i charged it up, booted it, and it immediately connected to wifi and said there was an update available. it downloaded a 5.0 update, restarted & installed, booted up again, downloaded 5.1 ... then 5.1.1 ... then 6.0 ... and somewhere in there a security update or two. and now basically i have a functioning phone again for no reason other than i let it drain down and sit for awhile.

no clue how long it will function, but i'm just surprised to have it come back to life again without me actually doing anything to fix it. it isn't my primary phone, so i won't be stress testing it or anything ... it is currently my backup if anything were to go wrong with my N6.

fridaycoffee

Oct 6, 2015
from what i seen the problems appears after the phone starts getting heated ..so if you dont use it...it will function...but yet again you are not using it :))..
i fixed the restarting issue...apparently the power button gets stucked...so much about build quality...anywat hope that my nexus 5x...will last more than 2 years...

Nexus V

Nov 14, 2013
Finally started the RA process today with LG and will be shipping them the phone after I back it up and reset it this weekend. This part has me concerned though- THREE WEEKS for them to even reply back to you? I can certainly get by with my backup phone, but geez what were they doing that entire time? They can't be that understaffed or backed up with that many repairs, can they?

Just got my phone back today and I must say... the ABSOLUTE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE IN MY LIFE.

I chose the refurb option for $200, which I assumed meant new logic board and housing. Housing was definitely new. I powered it on to see that it had it 5.1.1. Ok, fine. I go to turn on the Wi-Fi - works the first time, subsequent tries no luck. I power it into safe mode and can activate it but can't connect to any network. I go to check the MAC address: IT'S THE SAME F*CKING MAC ADDRESS. THEY DIDN'T FIX A G-D DAMN THING.

So I call up the 1-800-793-8896. I tell them that the phone hasn't been repaired and that I need to speak with a supervisor. The customer service rep tries to stall, and asks me when I received the phone back from the repair facility. I tell them today. What does she tell me? She suggests that, because it was just repaired, that I needed to wait 24-48 hours for it to work properly. WHAT IN THE EVER LIVING F*CK KIND OF ANSWER IS THAT?????? So I lose it and start arguing with her, asking how is the phone going to magically start working after 48 hours? I continue to push her to speak with a supervisor, and she continues to stall. I did not curse, but I repeated over and over to speak with a supervisor. I told her that I knew her call was being recorded for quality assurance purposes, and that is when she hung up on me. Upon calling them back, the rep I spoke with had "no record" of the previous phone call. How convenient.

I'm still on the phone now trying to get this resolved. Can someone, anyone PLEASE PLEASE get me a contact to LG Corp? I don't have a Facebook or Twitter account (I'm very anti-social), but I'm considering signing up for accounts just so that this experience can be heard. I would never want another customer to ever have to go through this kind of nightmare. I haven't included the debacle of sending in the device in the first place (had to pay out of pocket twice because first shipment was refused by warehouse because they were "closed", they refused to send me a shipping label and never patched me through to a supervisor).

I'll keep you guys updated.

Update: LG is having me ship back the phone yet again and are providing a FedEx shipping label. After about 25 reboots today, I was able to get Wi-Fi to enable once. My concern is that when the factory receives it, it will work that "one time" for them and they will consider it enough proof for them. Then, they will again ship it back to me un-repaired. I have no way of knowing if they will thoroughly test it with multiple reboots like a proper repair technician should. Looking back at the repair papers, it states that "Repair Results: Bluetooth / WiFi Module." So the modules were "repaired" (software update, re-seating the module, etc) but not replaced. The serial number listed in the packing slip is the same as the one that was sent in, further leading me to believe they did not replace the logicboard at all (as if having the same MAC address wasn't enough).

I've reached out to my insurance adjuster (extended warranty through credit card) for guidance on how to proceed. At this point, I have zero trust in LG and am hoping to be able to get a second opinion at a local repair shop if LG once again sends it back un-repaired. I hope to be able to claim the cost of both repairs under my extended warranty.

Update 2: Got off the phone with insurance adjuster. He advised to send the phone to LG as they offered. If it comes back un-repaired again, take it to a local shop and get an estimate. If the estimated cost of repair + what I've paid LG already exceeds what I paid for the phone ($393 after taxes), he will credit me that amount + the amount I've already paid for repairs.

Last edited:

Nexus V

Nov 14, 2013
Hi guys,

I am new to XDA.. but I've been a Nexus 5 owner since November 2013. My phone was running fine without any issues until Android 5.0 OTA , which I updated in Early 2015.

My wifi button grayed out/stuck turning wifi on like everyone mentioned here. It would work sometimes if I Factory Reset/Wipe - Airplane Mode , Reboot - Safemode ( sometimes work ). I got very frustrated with this issue and I decided to call LG for repair since my warranty was due. Even though LG customer service sucked really bad but they did repair my phone for free even though I am due for factory warranty. I got my phone back from LG after 2 weeks, they replaced * Motherboard * on the service paper. Guess what? IT DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM, so I called LG again and I Re-sent back the phone to LG for deeper investigation . After another 2 weeks that I send my phone in THE SECOND TIME, My nexus came back to me. This time the service paper indicate they * Searching for SVC message due to no service, Download new software* . Bummer, the WIFI still grayed out after Two repairs. So I called LG again today and my phone is going back to Fort Worth ,TX the third time.

I just want to let you guys know my part of story, Thank for reading. ---- My phone was never rooted and I don't plan to --- I don't think its a hardware issue, I blame Google for this ---

Same experience I had, except I had to pay $195 out of pocket (which I plan on getting reimbursed through my credit card's extended warranty protection). The second time I sent it back, I included printed out screenshots of the problem, highlighting the MAC address and everything. The packing slip stated the same thing, that the problem was "Searching for SVC" and the resolution was "download new software". I am on the phone with them to send it back a third time.

If it still does not get resolved after this, I am planning on filing a complaint with the BBB, as well as filing a chargeback with my CC for the cost of the repairs. To do so, I will need to obtain a couple of quotes from local shops showing their diagnosis that the phone still needs repairs. On top of that, I will be filing a claim through the extended warranty protection under the condition that the "phone cannot be repaired".

zoomcool80

Nov 24, 2015
Cannot copy file into the /persist/wifi folder....

My /persist/wifi folder is empty. Phone won't let me copy or create .macaddr file in the folder. :confused::confused::confused:
Also what type of file do you create the .macaddr with? Notepad? wordpad?
PLEASE HELP! THANKS!

I had already deleted the /persist wifi folder....

So, I used the app "Root Explorer" to do everything I mentioned. Created the folder again....add the .macaddr file....enter text in editor to maunally put in MAC address....

Hope it can help someone else. There are probably many differing issues causing the problem, but at least for me, this fixed it.

Clint3200

Oct 9, 2015
As I stated, I used the app "Root explorer" to do everything. Create the file, edit the file, etc.

I have a rooted Nexus 6 and this has been the permanent fix for me. Mine is still doing fine now.

zoomcool80

Nov 24, 2015
Mac address question

This is probably a really stupid question but this is all new to me.....
my Mac address consistion of ##\##\##\##\##\##
how come there is a "x" in on the start of each ##.
Should I type x##\ instead??
echo -ne '\x8c\x3a\xe3\x41\x8d\x79' > /persist/wifi/.macaddr

THANKS ALOT!

You guys are so boring.

So finally today I had this problem not of my own doing. Was using my phone and it rebooted on it's own. After that, wifi stuck turning on.

So I run my commands that I told you chuckle****s, and nothing. Weird. Should have worked.

I clear cache and dalvik to be on the safe side, reboot, not fixed. Weird.

I have the liveboot log enabled, I notice a few things:
E/wpa_supplicant( 2086): Could not set interface wlan0 flags (UP): Operation not permitted
E/wpa_supplicant( 2086): nl80211: Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
E/wpa_supplicant( 2086): wlan0: Failed to initialize driver interface

wifistatemachine failed to start driver

<4>[ 1.802222] wifi_get_mac_addr
I/rmt_storage( 179):
<3>[ 1.802285] bcm_wifi_get_mac_addr: Failed to get information from file /persist/wifi/.macaddr (-2)

OH LOOK, FAILED TO GET MAC ADDRESS FROM FILE.

So I go in with root explorer, delete .macaddr file, and run these commands (the first line is my mac address being set, because I know what it is already; obviously you'll need SU to do this):
chown root:root /persist/wifi
chmod 755 /persist/wifi
chown wifi:wifi /persist/wifi/.macaddr
chmod 660 /persist/wifi/.macaddr

**Reboot, wifi works again.**

My guess is something got corrupted with the area where that file existed. Deleting it entirely and recreating it means it was created in a new area on the chip. **** if I know for certain though. What I do know is what I've been telling you guys for a while works and none of you are bothering with doing the easiest fix. But keep flashing custom roms and sending your phones in.

Most of you don't know what your wifi mac address is, have no motivation or way to find out, and will end up using mine, so I've modified mine in the first line to not be mine. Because I don't want you all out there cloning my ****ing mac addy since you can't be bothered to change it in the script.

Edit: I have not checked if a broken btaddr file affects wifi, possible but not likely, but that may need to be repaired too in a similar manner.

Reactions: Tonyh5969

Clint3200

Oct 9, 2015
This is probably a really stupid question but this is all new to me.....
my Mac address consistion of ##\##\##\##\##\##
how come there is a "x" in on the start of each ##.
Should I type x##\ instead??

THANKS ALOT!

Yes, include the x in front of each. I just figured it out the same as you are doing. Finally got it working again.

Reactions: Tonyh5969

peka80

Oct 24, 2014
Just to add one more unsatisfied customer of Nexus 5.
About week ago I noticed that my phone got really hot all of a sudden! And that night battery from 55% status, over the night dropped to under 10% (after maybe 3 hours).
WiFi worked all good. Phone was at Marshmallow , latest OTA update. First I taught it was battery problem, but I read it that it maybe was the problem with Android OS. Some customers told that they downgraded to 5.1.1. and battery came to life. So did I. From 6.0 to CM 12.1, but problem still remain.
Before I went to sleep, I turned off WiFi and that was it! Since than, no more WiFi or Bluetooth.

I tried several suggestions from this thread, but non of them worked for me. I'm prepared to switch motherboard with new one in my expense, because my warranty expired. :(

Zgembo

Dec 1, 2006
baked!

Just to add my little piece of experience with this issue. I got Nexus 5 from a college of mine with a note that WiFi does not work at all. Software problem I thought, nothing I couldn't fix myself...

But it turned out to be a real HW issue, cause no messing with flashing numerous stock and custom ROMs in various order, or messing up with firmware or persist partitions ever helped.

Baking the motherboard in a gas stove on 185C for 180 sec sharp did! Since I never intended to use Nexus 5 as my main phone, I attempted to try this risky baking thingie...

I've placed the bare motherboard on a flat piece of aluminium foil, supported by four little aluminium rings (allowing airflow below the board), WiFi chip facing up, and with that yellow EMI shield/wireless charging/NFC board removed (bottom shield remained in place).

The solder around WiFi chip seems to got re-flowed correctly and I have a fully working phone in my hand now. Thanks to those that gave a suggestion in a first place!

Last edited:
Reactions: audit13

audit13

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Just to add my little piece of experience with this issue. I got Nexus 5 from a college of mine with a note that WiFi does not work at all. Software problem I thought, nothing I couldn't fix myself...

But it turned out to be a real HW issue, cause no messing with flashing numerous stock and custom ROMs in various order, or messing up with firmware or persist partitions ever helped.

Baking the motherboard in a gas stove on 185C for 180 sec sharp did! Since I never intended to use Nexus 5 as my main phone, I attempted to try this risky baking thingie...

I've placed the bare motherboard on a flat piece of aluminium foil, supported by four little aluminium rings (allowing airflow below the board), WiFi chip facing up, and with that yellow EMI shield/wireless charging/NFC board removed (bottom shield remained in place).

The solder around WiFi chip seems to got re-flowed correctly and I have a fully working phone in my hand now. Thanks to those that gave a suggestion in a first place!
It's great that you got the phone working.

Did you remove everything from the motherboard? What about the brown circuit board behind the memory chip?

Thanks.

Zgembo

Dec 1, 2006
It's great that you got the phone working.

Did you remove everything from the motherboard? What about the brown circuit board behind the memory chip?

Thanks.
@audit13

Not sure what do you mean by "brown circuit board" behind the memory chip, if you talk about that brown-yellowish metal shield around SK Hynix RAM, the answer is no, it went into the stove. I quickly searched for images that best resemble the sate the board was when i had put it for baking, check these:

http://nexusservicecenter.com/Lg Ne...Main-Board-Repair-and-Replacement-Chennai.JPG (this side was up)
http://images.locanto.in/1159805072...-D820-D821-MotherBoard-Main-Logic-Board_1.jpg (this side went down)

Reactions: audit13

audit13

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for the images.

I attached an image of my motherboard with the brown circuit board:

Looks like I will have to remove all of the heat shields to try this out.

Zgembo

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for the images.

I attached an image of my motherboard with the brown circuit board:

Looks like I will have to remove all of the heat shields to try this out.
@audit13

Yes, I definitely removed everything from the upper side. That brown circuit board is NFC & wireless charger, it is glued to the metal shield, so you only need to disconnect the thing and carefully remove the big shield. Make sure you remove the small shield on the left side as well, that is where the WiFi chip is, you may want to expose it. Finally, don't forget to remove that camera, it will most likely melt @ 185C :) And remember, you are doing this on your own risk.

audit13

Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
The defective wifi motherboard I have has been replaced with a functional motherboard. I know this is risky and don't really have anything to lose since there does not seem to be any other way to fix it.

Edit: Hmm, having a hard time getting the last tiny heat shield off. Seems to be glued to the board/chip with sticky adhesive.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From what I have seen on the internet I'm not the only one with this problem, but as far as I know, I'm the only nexus 5 owner with this problem. See, two days ago, all of a sudden (I must confess, because the phone often forgets wifi networks, I was using the Wifi password recovery & backup app, but that can't be the problem, I use it all the time), but all of a sudden, after a reboot, my wifi is turned off. I already found that to be strange, but then it became even stranger: when I tried to turn it on, it kept on 'turning it on' but never actually turned it on! (the switch is still dark gray in the 'on' fase). I tried to figure out why it was doing this, the last apps I installed were Tasker, Autovoice and secure settings, so I uninstalled them, no difference. I tried disabeling my xposed framework, no difference. I tried wiping Cache and Dalvik cache, no difference. I accedently (swipe to wipe is dangerous!) completely wiped my phone, but still no difference. Then, using the Nexus Root Toolkit, I reverted back to stock and unrooted. Then finally, my wifi came back on :). So I slowly installed everything again (stupid me had no backup) and the wifi kept working for a day....:( And till now it's been off, not willing to turn on :(. It must be some app I installed I guess. I also tried to change kernels but again with no succes... Oh and my mac-adress is also nowhere to be found, is that normal when the wifi is turned off?
    I'm sorry for the long personal story, but I would be very grateful if someone had a working idea :)
    tnx in advance guys
    Update
    as silly as it may seems but this was a relief for me
    i got mad at it yesterday and smashed my nexus 5 into million pieces
    it was driving me crazy
    i will never buy any LG products not mobiles , dish washers or any of its products ever again.
    From what I have seen on the internet I'm not the only one with this problem, but as far as I know, I'm the only nexus 5 owner with this problem. See, two days ago, all of a sudden (I must confess, because the phone often forgets wifi networks, I was using the Wifi password recovery & backup app, but that can't be the problem, I use it all the time), but all of a sudden, after a reboot, my wifi is turned off. I already found that to be strange, but then it became even stranger: when I tried to turn it on, it kept on 'turning it on' but never actually turned it on! (the switch is still dark gray in the 'on' fase). I tried to figure out why it was doing this, the last apps I installed were Tasker, Autovoice and secure settings, so I uninstalled them, no difference. I tried disabeling my xposed framework, no difference. I tried wiping Cache and Dalvik cache, no difference. I accedently (swipe to wipe is dangerous!) completely wiped my phone, but still no difference. Then, using the Nexus Root Toolkit, I reverted back to stock and unrooted. Then finally, my wifi came back on :). So I slowly installed everything again (stupid me had no backup) and the wifi kept working for a day....:( And till now it's been off, not willing to turn on :(. It must be some app I installed I guess. I also tried to change kernels but again with no succes... Oh and my mac-adress is also nowhere to be found, is that normal when the wifi is turned off?
    I'm sorry for the long personal story, but I would be very grateful if someone had a working idea :)
    tnx in advance guys
    Hey all,
    After more than a week with NO WIFI, i have finally figured it out.
    Here are the detailed.
    ISSUE: After OTA update of 4.4.3 on new nexus 5, the phone was rebooted automatically and after reboot WIFI button was greyed out. It only showed "TURNING ON".
    FAILED SOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Following step DID NOT HELP
    1. Factory reset
    2. Battery drain and recharge after full drain
    3. Power off for few hours and restart
    4. Whacking the set on palm (yes, whacking, it was a recommended solution on a thread)
    5. Opened the handset and checked all the hardware link, every thing was fine
    6. Bootloader unlock, recovery installation (TWRP), downgrade to 4.4.2 (downloaded from google's web page)
    7. Downgrade to 4.4
    8. OTA update from down graded firmware
    9. Sideloading the 4.4.3 update on firmware 4.4.2
    10. Rooting, and installation of custom ROM (slimKat, Cynaogen mod)
    11. Installation of custom kernel (linaro)
    12. Flashing of 4.4.2 & 4.4 Radio/Boot images on stock rom of 4.4.3
    13. Clean install of 4.4.3 (removing everything from phone except recovery)
    14. *#*#4636#*#*, goto wifi and restart.
    15. *#*#4636#*#*, wifi state shown "UN-INITIALIZED"

Actual Solution that worked
    ***** Install Paranoid Android ROM on rooted Nexus 5. The issue is with Kernel , which control the HW/OS communication. Apparently Kernel of this ROM removed the issue (but installation of SlimKat/CyanogenMod/Custom Kernel).
    I then restored the backup of stock 4.4.3 from recovery and did a factory reset. Wifi & every thing else works fine now *****
    Can you give us some details about baking the mainboard? I'd like to try this method, I don't have anything to lose! :D

Take the phone apart and remove the main board (the large board above the battery). It has about 5 connectors plugged in. Remove your SIM. Preheat oven (I used a toaster oven) to 350 degrees, and put the board in on a crumpled piece of foil so there's plenty of airflow all around. Bake for 3 minutes. Remove it and let it cool down. Reassemble phone.
    Updated Android 6.0 solved the issue

tnx in advance guys

So I had the unfortunate experience of having my wifi go down while on vacation and for 3 weeks I spent a good chunk of time wiping and reinstalling multiple versions from Cyanogen, Paranoid android and 4.4 - 5.1 to no avail. I just did another factory wipe today and installed the new Android 6.0

The Finger Pointing Game is OVER
    Read through 30+ pages of other android users with similar experience and some people send their units back to LG and some even managed getting a new handset. There was never any hardware issues with my unit I just couldn't turn on the WiFi but after the install WiFi works? Guess next time you push a software update to our Phones CHECK YOUR SH*T google and Maybe DON'T Take 3 months to FIX your F*CK Up.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone