[Q]Wifi stuck on 'turning on'

Search This thread

08anonymous18

Jun 17, 2017
@toastgodsupreme I have tried your procedure but its not working, as I'am using ressurection Remix N-7.1.2 version, in presist folder there is a folder named 'xwifi' not as u mentioned 'wifi' folder and by doing your provided method which I used is showing error as 'permission denied'. as in SU I have kept the permission on 'Grant' option.

xsacter

Mar 4, 2017
I just got this on my Nexus 5 last week, not sure what happened. I rarely use the phone anymore as it's no longer my daily driver but curious as to why it just died, is there a fix?

abemore

Jul 31, 2012
I just baked my Nexus 5 circuit board at 385 degrees for 10 mins. Waiting for it to cool now. I have a new phone in mind if it doesn't work out :D ...the 5X or the Pixel

Update:
Okay, I put it back together and now it wont power on. It seems I've overcooked it. I guess I'll be needing a new phone after all :(

Last edited:

Abdullah786$ultan

Dec 30, 2016
Lahore
I recently installed latest resurrection remix rom 7.1.2 on my galaxy J7 now whatever rom i install below 7.1.2 wifi icon is always greyed out but hotspot turns on correctly i full wiped my phone installed stock rom but all sucks please help !

Adil625

May 8, 2018
Sometimes it's a simple solution that solves the problem.

I went through the same issue with my Nexus 5. It happened all of a sudden and I was worried that I had to cough up money for a new phone. Determined to not go down that path, I searched the internet for potential solutions and came across various solutions ranging from factory reset to rooting and custom ROMs.

What worked for me was, I reset the network settings (Settings > Backup & reset > Network settings reset) and restarted the phone. THAT'S IT!

Maybe I was lucky that I managed to solve my issue with this fix, and maybe your issue may not be able to be addressed in this way. But it is definitely worth the try. I wish I had figured this out earlier, I would have saved a lot of time and money.

Hope this would help someone at some point of time.

A real example that, sometimes it's a simple solution that solves the problem.

Reactions: XDASYNC86ae

dr.midas

Sep 24, 2014
huglero.com
I've been using note 3 for 4 years and currently it has phronesis rom 7.0.
Last week, after i charged with my powerbank, suddenly wifi stopped working, stucked at 'enabling wifi'. I rebooted a few million times, cleaned unnecessary apps including the last ones, hard reset, reinstalled rom, shook it, dropped it to the floor, threw it to the wall, but didnt help at all. And i thought it's got broken as it's already 4 year old phone.
A few days later, when my charge was at 3%, the back of of the phone, right next to the camera heated too much, despite i was doing nothing, i got panicked and removed the battery.
10 min later, placed it again, booted the phone, and tadaaa, wifi was working, the back side was keeping its cool, phone was smoother and charge level was %35 or so.
Then i thought, wifi issue was not a hardware thing but instead it was related to wrong battery stats. When the charge level was again 2% i removed the battery again, waited for a few min and placed again. It was again %25 percent,( didnt last long though,) but wifi again was not working. :(
Moving from that point, i fully charged the phone, calibrated battery, removed, replaced etc... but didnt work.
I deleted the file data/misc/wifi, it didnt work.
Afaik, blutooth and wifi use a common chip and if wifi is failing cos of a hardware issue, bluetooth is not supposed to work as well. Yet, my bluetooth works fine. It's just wifi.
I dont know how to fix it.

mdfarazb2

Jul 2, 2015
patna
Xiaomi Poco F3
I've been using note 3 for 4 years and currently it has phronesis rom 7.0.
Last week, after i charged with my powerbank, suddenly wifi stopped working, stucked at 'enabling wifi'. I rebooted a few million times, cleaned unnecessary apps including the last ones, hard reset, reinstalled rom, shook it, dropped it to the floor, threw it to the wall, but didnt help at all. And i thought it's got broken as it's already 4 year old phone.
A few days later, when my charge was at 3%, the back of of the phone, right next to the camera heated too much, despite i was doing nothing, i got panicked and removed the battery.
10 min later, placed it again, booted the phone, and tadaaa, wifi was working, the back side was keeping its cool, phone was smoother and charge level was %35 or so.
Then i thought, wifi issue was not a hardware thing but instead it was related to wrong battery stats. When the charge level was again 2% i removed the battery again, waited for a few min and placed again. It was again %25 percent,( didnt last long though,) but wifi again was not working. :(
Moving from that point, i fully charged the phone, calibrated battery, removed, replaced etc... but didnt work.
I deleted the file data/misc/wifi, it didnt work.
Afaik, blutooth and wifi use a common chip and if wifi is failing cos of a hardware issue, bluetooth is not supposed to work as well. Yet, my bluetooth works fine. It's just wifi.
I dont know how to fix it.
Hello did you fix your issue?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    From what I have seen on the internet I'm not the only one with this problem, but as far as I know, I'm the only nexus 5 owner with this problem. See, two days ago, all of a sudden (I must confess, because the phone often forgets wifi networks, I was using the Wifi password recovery & backup app, but that can't be the problem, I use it all the time), but all of a sudden, after a reboot, my wifi is turned off. I already found that to be strange, but then it became even stranger: when I tried to turn it on, it kept on 'turning it on' but never actually turned it on! (the switch is still dark gray in the 'on' fase). I tried to figure out why it was doing this, the last apps I installed were Tasker, Autovoice and secure settings, so I uninstalled them, no difference. I tried disabeling my xposed framework, no difference. I tried wiping Cache and Dalvik cache, no difference. I accedently (swipe to wipe is dangerous!) completely wiped my phone, but still no difference. Then, using the Nexus Root Toolkit, I reverted back to stock and unrooted. Then finally, my wifi came back on :). So I slowly installed everything again (stupid me had no backup) and the wifi kept working for a day....:( And till now it's been off, not willing to turn on :(. It must be some app I installed I guess. I also tried to change kernels but again with no succes... Oh and my mac-adress is also nowhere to be found, is that normal when the wifi is turned off?
    I'm sorry for the long personal story, but I would be very grateful if someone had a working idea :)
    tnx in advance guys
    Update
    as silly as it may seems but this was a relief for me
    i got mad at it yesterday and smashed my nexus 5 into million pieces
    it was driving me crazy
    i will never buy any LG products not mobiles , dish washers or any of its products ever again.
    From what I have seen on the internet I'm not the only one with this problem, but as far as I know, I'm the only nexus 5 owner with this problem. See, two days ago, all of a sudden (I must confess, because the phone often forgets wifi networks, I was using the Wifi password recovery & backup app, but that can't be the problem, I use it all the time), but all of a sudden, after a reboot, my wifi is turned off. I already found that to be strange, but then it became even stranger: when I tried to turn it on, it kept on 'turning it on' but never actually turned it on! (the switch is still dark gray in the 'on' fase). I tried to figure out why it was doing this, the last apps I installed were Tasker, Autovoice and secure settings, so I uninstalled them, no difference. I tried disabeling my xposed framework, no difference. I tried wiping Cache and Dalvik cache, no difference. I accedently (swipe to wipe is dangerous!) completely wiped my phone, but still no difference. Then, using the Nexus Root Toolkit, I reverted back to stock and unrooted. Then finally, my wifi came back on :). So I slowly installed everything again (stupid me had no backup) and the wifi kept working for a day....:( And till now it's been off, not willing to turn on :(. It must be some app I installed I guess. I also tried to change kernels but again with no succes... Oh and my mac-adress is also nowhere to be found, is that normal when the wifi is turned off?
    I'm sorry for the long personal story, but I would be very grateful if someone had a working idea :)
    tnx in advance guys
    Hey all,
    After more than a week with NO WIFI, i have finally figured it out.
    Here are the detailed.
    ISSUE: After OTA update of 4.4.3 on new nexus 5, the phone was rebooted automatically and after reboot WIFI button was greyed out. It only showed "TURNING ON".
    FAILED SOLUTION ATTEMPTS: Following step DID NOT HELP
    1. Factory reset
    2. Battery drain and recharge after full drain
    3. Power off for few hours and restart
    4. Whacking the set on palm (yes, whacking, it was a recommended solution on a thread)
    5. Opened the handset and checked all the hardware link, every thing was fine
    6. Bootloader unlock, recovery installation (TWRP), downgrade to 4.4.2 (downloaded from google's web page)
    7. Downgrade to 4.4
    8. OTA update from down graded firmware
    9. Sideloading the 4.4.3 update on firmware 4.4.2
    10. Rooting, and installation of custom ROM (slimKat, Cynaogen mod)
    11. Installation of custom kernel (linaro)
    12. Flashing of 4.4.2 & 4.4 Radio/Boot images on stock rom of 4.4.3
    13. Clean install of 4.4.3 (removing everything from phone except recovery)
    14. *#*#4636#*#*, goto wifi and restart.
    15. *#*#4636#*#*, wifi state shown "UN-INITIALIZED"

Actual Solution that worked
    ***** Install Paranoid Android ROM on rooted Nexus 5. The issue is with Kernel , which control the HW/OS communication. Apparently Kernel of this ROM removed the issue (but installation of SlimKat/CyanogenMod/Custom Kernel).
    I then restored the backup of stock 4.4.3 from recovery and did a factory reset. Wifi & every thing else works fine now *****
    Can you give us some details about baking the mainboard? I'd like to try this method, I don't have anything to lose! :D

Take the phone apart and remove the main board (the large board above the battery). It has about 5 connectors plugged in. Remove your SIM. Preheat oven (I used a toaster oven) to 350 degrees, and put the board in on a crumpled piece of foil so there's plenty of airflow all around. Bake for 3 minutes. Remove it and let it cool down. Reassemble phone.
    Updated Android 6.0 solved the issue

tnx in advance guys

So I had the unfortunate experience of having my wifi go down while on vacation and for 3 weeks I spent a good chunk of time wiping and reinstalling multiple versions from Cyanogen, Paranoid android and 4.4 - 5.1 to no avail. I just did another factory wipe today and installed the new Android 6.0

The Finger Pointing Game is OVER
    Read through 30+ pages of other android users with similar experience and some people send their units back to LG and some even managed getting a new handset. There was never any hardware issues with my unit I just couldn't turn on the WiFi but after the install WiFi works? Guess next time you push a software update to our Phones CHECK YOUR SH*T google and Maybe DON'T Take 3 months to FIX your F*CK Up.