[Q] Will anyone root the new Kyobo Mirasol reader?

Search This thread

cybercurator

Feb 17, 2011
Florida
The world's first ereader with a color Mirasol display is finally on the market, but unfortunately it's running a severely locked-down Android by the Korean bookstore chain Kyobo. The Kyobo ui is entirely in Korean, the browser blocks downloads, and the reader app is crap. In other words, it's basically useless to anyone outside of Korea. A few enterprising Americans have imported them and been extremely disappointed. Will someone please take a look at this device and see if it can be rooted or if something else can be done to make it of use to the rest of us?

Reactions: oartalk

cybercurator

Feb 17, 2011
Florida
Nate over at The Digital Reader has a firmware update that supposedly contains all of the installed apps. He is asking for someone to try and hack it. He has a download link for the firmware at The Digital Reader.

Reactions: oartalk

throwaway4096

Jan 10, 2012
it is rooted since some time already.

files and instructions are in the following archive, but since instructions are in korean, i'll do a writeup below.

(argh! spambot won't allow this link, so you'll have to piece it together...)
www<dot>4shared<dot>com/zip/aLwRc7ZG/mirasol_rooting.html
edit: needed files are also in an attachment below

the gist is that you need to flash the boot partition via fastboot, setup root and busybox, and then modify secure->install_non_market_apps in settings.db.

you will need to have adb and fastboot from the android sdk working on your computer. There are many posts about this elsewhere, so i won't go into the details.

also, i only print filename without path, just find the corresponding file in the mentioned archive and modify the commands accordingly.

flash the boot partition via fastboot
first get your kyobo into fastboot mode (with usb cable attached) by pressing volume-down at bootup. timing here can be a bit finicky, but easiest seems to be to shut it down completely and then press just after pressing power.

issue a 'fastboot devices' on computer, if successful it should give you the response '???????????? fastboot' or similar. if empty or hangs, try again by rebooting the kyobo by pressing power with volume-up held (you can go into fastboot immediately after reboot by volume-down as expected).

when positive response above, you can flash by
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
and then reboot by
Code:
fastboot reboot

edit: simplified fastboot instructions, thanks to smb_gaiden, whose button-poking-fu is strong.

setup root and busybox
with boot partition flashed you now have adb access, so let's use it. let the device boot as normal, and then issue the following.

Code:
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
adb push fixsu.sh /data/local/tmp
adb push su /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/busybox
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fixsu.sh
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/su
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fixsu.sh
adb shell ln -s /data/local/tmp/busybox /system/xbin/busybox

after this, install some apk's from the archive
Code:
adb install superuser.apk
adb install blackmart.apk

fix non-market apps setting
only thing left is to change a setting to allow non-market apps to be installed. if you don't care about your current settings (locale, etc), you can just push the settings.db from the archive like so:
Code:
adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/
if you *do* care about your settings, you'll need to pull the settings.db, edit it in some sqlite db editor (set secure->install_non_market_apps to 1) and push the result.

that's it. all rooted. now you just need to install angry birds and yer' set ;-)

Attachments

• kyobo-rooting.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 329
Last edited:

haliava

Jan 16, 2012
Adb doesn't seem to start properly on device

Hello.
I did succeed in flashing the bootloader via fastboot.
However when I boot device - I see adb on usb only for some initial seconds, and then it disappears.
For that matter my device already had December firmware on it.
Any ideas how to activate adb on device?

Thank you,

Leonid

throwaway4096

Jan 10, 2012
it may be that persist.service.adb.enable is reset, stopping the adbd service. try flashing the attached boot image instead, see if that fixes it. it is the same as above, except that persist.service.adb.enable is ignored.

edit: i took a look at the december update, afaict it should pose no problem (very few changes in there).

Attachments

• kyobo-boot-force-adbd.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 207
Last edited:

throwaway4096

Jan 10, 2012
edit: the original instructions were snafu, so i replaced them with something that should actually work.

getting android market running on the kyobo
needed files are in the attached archive.

install like so:
Code:
adb remount
adb push DrmProvider.apk /system/app
adb push MediaProvider.apk /system/app
adb push DownloadProvider.apk /system/app
adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app
adb push Market-3.4.4.apk /system/app
adb push init.qcom.post_boot.sh /system/etc
adb push fix-shared-user.sh /data/local/tmp
adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fix-shared-user.sh
adb shell /data/local/tmp/fix-shared-user.sh

wait for the reboot, find market in the menu, and off you go (with downloads this time ;-)

if downloads still do not work after this, try re-executing the last line. android periodically writes to the file we are modifying, which might clobber our changes if unlucky.

Attachments

• kyobo-market.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:

fatboy1976

Oct 12, 2010
I am thinking about buying one of these because I have seen it on sale for 50% discount. However, the general reviews aren't too encouraging, so will rooting make any difference to overall performance?

Reactions: MrPresident

send2toonie

Jul 21, 2007
Reactions: Kaarlos

smb_gaiden

Mar 8, 2006
May I seek help from someone who has rooted recently? I am finding it pretty difficult to get into fastboot. So some questions as I continue to play.

Which version is currently rootable? I bought mine this week and want to be sure it is still applicable with the method here.

Do I need a USB driver to work this hack? EDIT: Yes, found with a web search.

When do I press the volume keys? Immediately after power? Similar timing? When I see the flicker on the screen? When I see the logo? Before all that? EDIT: I did not need the volume up key to get into fastboot.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Joe84

Feb 11, 2012
rooting for beginners

Some friends and i ordered the kyobo to solve our eye-problem (nystagm)

We still can´t figure out, how to root it.
Can you please give us some rooting instruktion vor beginners??
It would be so essential for us, as the kyobo is little worth without forgeign apps!
Thank you very much!
Joe

Kaarlos

Nov 21, 2009
I'm finding the market force closes when downloading an app.

Hi, I am stuck with the same problem. Have tried many things?!:confused:

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

May I seek help from someone who has rooted recently? I am finding it pretty difficult to get into fastboot. So some questions as I continue to play.

Which version is currently rootable? I bought mine this week and want to be sure it is still applicable with the method here.

Do I need a USB driver to work this hack? EDIT: Yes, found with a web search.

When do I press the volume keys? Immediately after power? Similar timing? When I see the flicker on the screen? When I see the logo? Before all that? EDIT: I did not need the volume up key to get into fastboot.

Thanks!

Hi, Managed to root my kyobo after about 8 h trying. I installed the firmware update on my kyobo, that is found on the web, as instructed from the SD card. Then I installed fastboot and adb on my computer (search for 'how to install fastboot and adb'), as I found instructions for that as well. To enter fastboot I kept Kyobos, volume down button for about 10 sec, when booting the device (kyobo connected to computer with USB) - nothing happens -> however on my computers command window (cmd), 'fastboot devices' command produces an answer with '? ..' as it should. The biggest issue I had was to get adb working. For this purpose I installed and removed a couple of USB drivers - I don't really know how I got it to work finally.

You can tell if you have succeeded installing a useful usb driver, if you enter the 'adb devices' command in the cmd window and it returns a device number. Then you are ready to go with the rest of the commands/instruction as seen in the insturction of this thread.

From the blackmart application I was able to install many useful applications - the Launcher application can replace the Kyobo "home" application, which is very useful.

I installed android market as well, but so far I have not been able to download and install applications. I think It might be a permission issue between kyobo software and the installed android market?

Last edited:

cybercurator

Feb 17, 2011
Florida
Hey Joe. I've seen you on this forum as well as The Digital Reader asking for help with the Kyobo rooting. I too am a beginner and I'm trying to build up the nerve to try it. Wish us both luck and I hope someone can share rooting-for-dummies with us.

throwaway4096

Jan 10, 2012
@fatboy1976: rooting won't improve performance in itself. it makes the device better as you can install apps, but ofc the hardware is still the same.

@send2toonie: yes, sorry about that. it worked for me, but only thanks to other changes. it's hard to keep track :-/. i updated the original post with new instructions which should work properly.

@smb_gaiden: hah, excellent, i never tried that! original post updated.

@Joe84: it should be possible to root via microsd by creating an update.zip. i haven't gotten around to trying that yet, but maybe in future. for now this is as simple as it gets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaarlos

Kaarlos

Nov 21, 2009
Hi, I am stuck with the same problem. Have tried many things?!:confused:

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Hi, Managed to root my kyobo after about 8 h trying. I installed the firmware ...(updated -see above..) .., which is very useful.

I installed android market as well, but so far I have not been able to download and install applications. I think It might be a permission issue between kyobo software and the installed android market?

Jep! With the updated instuctions the Android Market now finally works!! Thanks! (Installed twice) :D :D :D

Last edited:

northforce

Dec 30, 2011
Jep! With the updated instuctions the Android Market now finally works!! Thanks! (Installed twice) :D :D :D

Hi,

Could you post the OS/processor version and driver name that got adb working for you. If you can also remember the keys pressed to put the Kyobo in the correct boot mode for adb, that would be nice too.

I have also managed to load apps on my Kyobo but that is without having su, Superuser, adb and Android Market working. The above info would be helpful in fixing that. Holding the volume down fir 10 seconds after pressing power on puts the Kyobo into fastboot mode. Adb requires a different mode and set of key presses. This is because there is a menu of boot options being displayed which can't be seen on the Mirasol screen. I suspect this is because of display settings within the boot.img but that is only a guess on my behalf.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    edit: the original instructions were snafu, so i replaced them with something that should actually work.

getting android market running on the kyobo
    needed files are in the attached archive.

install like so:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push DrmProvider.apk /system/app
    adb push MediaProvider.apk /system/app
    adb push DownloadProvider.apk /system/app
    adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app
    adb push Market-3.4.4.apk /system/app
    adb push init.qcom.post_boot.sh /system/etc
    adb push fix-shared-user.sh /data/local/tmp
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fix-shared-user.sh
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/fix-shared-user.sh

wait for the reboot, find market in the menu, and off you go (with downloads this time ;-)

if downloads still do not work after this, try re-executing the last line. android periodically writes to the file we are modifying, which might clobber our changes if unlucky.
    it is rooted since some time already.

files and instructions are in the following archive, but since instructions are in korean, i'll do a writeup below.

(argh! spambot won't allow this link, so you'll have to piece it together...)
    www<dot>4shared<dot>com/zip/aLwRc7ZG/mirasol_rooting.html
    edit: needed files are also in an attachment below

the gist is that you need to flash the boot partition via fastboot, setup root and busybox, and then modify secure->install_non_market_apps in settings.db.

you will need to have adb and fastboot from the android sdk working on your computer. There are many posts about this elsewhere, so i won't go into the details.

also, i only print filename without path, just find the corresponding file in the mentioned archive and modify the commands accordingly.

flash the boot partition via fastboot
    first get your kyobo into fastboot mode (with usb cable attached) by pressing volume-down at bootup. timing here can be a bit finicky, but easiest seems to be to shut it down completely and then press just after pressing power.

issue a 'fastboot devices' on computer, if successful it should give you the response '???????????? fastboot' or similar. if empty or hangs, try again by rebooting the kyobo by pressing power with volume-up held (you can go into fastboot immediately after reboot by volume-down as expected).

when positive response above, you can flash by
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    and then reboot by
    Code:
    fastboot reboot

edit: simplified fastboot instructions, thanks to smb_gaiden, whose button-poking-fu is strong.

setup root and busybox
    with boot partition flashed you now have adb access, so let's use it. let the device boot as normal, and then issue the following.

Code:
    adb push busybox /data/local/tmp
    adb push fixsu.sh /data/local/tmp
    adb push su /data/local/tmp
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/busybox
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/fixsu.sh
    adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/su
    adb shell /data/local/tmp/fixsu.sh
    adb shell ln -s /data/local/tmp/busybox /system/xbin/busybox

after this, install some apk's from the archive
    Code:
    adb install superuser.apk
    adb install blackmart.apk

fix non-market apps setting
    only thing left is to change a setting to allow non-market apps to be installed. if you don't care about your current settings (locale, etc), you can just push the settings.db from the archive like so:
    Code:
    adb push settings.db /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/
    if you *do* care about your settings, you'll need to pull the settings.db, edit it in some sqlite db editor (set secure->install_non_market_apps to 1) and push the result.

that's it. all rooted. now you just need to install angry birds and yer' set ;-)
    Hey darkyyy!
    When i rooted yesterday my wireless behaved like normal. I have no clue what happened with you kyobo.

You are so right we have to change only the name of the update in update.zip
    Then you have google play and superuser app installed.
    But i couldn´t install other apps because there is no memory space left on the device.
    Does anyone know how to download and install the apps on the sd card?
    Joe
    Joe, Kyobo has 1GB of internal memory space, so it has plenty of space to install apps.

I noticed that i couldn't download apps of 3+MB on Play Store. Maybe it is what is happening to your kyobo. But it has a fix: a tiny app called Cache Fixer. You have to use its "Move cache" feature to be able to download and install big apps from Play Store (you need to do it everytime you reboot your device, but only when you want big apps from Play Store).

There's no option to install apps to sd card. But you can move already installed apps to sd card if the app's developer made the app compatible with that feature. Go to settings > app settings > click on the app name > Move to SD (if option is available)

Tip: Download Go Launcher app so that you are able to have a default android home screen instead of korean useless home screen

------------
    Are you sure your wireless is normal?
    The Wireless icon only shows up if you are connected to a wifi network. If there's no known network configured or maybe just not at range, the wifi icon disappears, although it may have its status as active.

settings > wireless > wi-fi.. mine is always checked =( when i uncheck it, it gets automatically checked =S

Perhaps i have a defective unit >_<

..anyway, i'm kinda disappointed with kyobos too small screen and it's mega-reflective glass (i imagine they put that glass to make it touch sensible). the screen is unusable withought its built-in light turned on, so it ends up being a crap lcd that doesn't seem to be easier on the eyes =s. also, when the image has moved, the pixels get crazy and flicker right after the image stands still, for almost a second (30 fps my a$$ ). Maybe i will never really use my kyobo =o Just saying so if someone reads my post while thinking of buying one, think again.

I will never buy an e-reader again without trying it first. Maybe jetbook color e-ink is a bit better, althouh it's refresh rate sucks just like regular e-ink and i think it also has glass on top of the screen.
    it may be that persist.service.adb.enable is reset, stopping the adbd service. try flashing the attached boot image instead, see if that fixes it. it is the same as above, except that persist.service.adb.enable is ignored.

edit: i took a look at the december update, afaict it should pose no problem (very few changes in there).
    My logcat output is attached. The simplest solution maybe, if you already prepared your data.img , is for me to use dd to restore it on my machine even if fastboot cant? Can you pls post your pristine data.img (I will need help with the parameters to use with the dd command to recover it).

Sure, you could just dd the image file.

Here's the file:

http://imc.mlink.net.pl/data-28072012.img.tgz

As usual, tar -zxf data-28072012.img.tgz, copy it onto your sd, once it's there, boot, go into adb, su, and then:
    Code:
    dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 if=/sdcard/data-28072012.img bs=4096k

This needs you be able to su from adb. But, the errors you have, don't look like *crucial* errors-this is just dalvik-cache - from what I know, it ought to get rebuilt automatically if missing. I purged dalvik-cache dir contents from my data.img anyway.

I think the data recovery won't do you much, you'll have to dd the entire mmcblk0 image, includng the partition table etc.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone