[Q] will the T-Mobile version be rootable

Search This thread

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
Im sure all the people that could stand your wall of text actually hit thanks on it. Go back and count em to be sure

Im not your friend or even an acquaintance, find someone else to stir up crap with. Happy Sunday!

For the record I wouldn't want to be your friend so no worries there. This is xda developers, let alone a thread about a topic regarding an unlocked bootloader (in general), but since you're perfectly fine with a locked bootloader, to each to his own.

The wall of text was to provide valid reasoning and facts to debunk the confusion so many have had as to why....well you figure it out. It must be hard to be faced with valid facts eh? Apparently it is. Have fun with your Note 7. SMH

Last edited:
Reactions: DionWhite33

ArioK13

Sep 13, 2013
Uhhh i want root. Will not buy the next note 8 & upwards until bootloader is unlocked & can be rooted. I do it to save all my apps data info, block stupid ads that i dont want to waste time looking at, waste my data even tho i got unlimited, want to customize to my own liking, smh i dont care for sampay android pay or what ever as one can pay normally by login, calling, use of debit, paying cash etc.

Sent from my SM-N930T using XDA-Developers mobile app

pcriz

Uhhh i want root. Will not buy the next note 8 & upwards until bootloader is unlocked & can be rooted. I do it to save all my apps data info, block stupid ads that i dont want to waste time looking at, waste my data even tho i got unlimited, want to customize to my own liking, smh i dont care for sampay android pay or what ever as one can pay normally by login, calling, use of debit, paying cash etc.

So one phone doesnt have the customization you want so you are opting to buy a different phone.

Careful fella, that type of common sense level headed consumer minded thinking is scarce around these parts.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

iunlock

May 22, 2010
Galaxy
Ah nothing like a good block to end trolly background noise

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

There's denial written all over your responses so far, because you have yet to provide any valid reasoning whereas I have with facts that are inarguable.

You can count on one thing in that most people here on xda developers. <- That's developers btw, are more for wanting an unlocked bootloader than being comfortable with a $1000 device that is locked...ie...those with your content mindset.

The truth is the truth.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

We're with you....I know it sucks. Just hope for that leaked engineering firmware to be released some how some way....then we'll be on the road again with having the freedom we all have enjoyed so far.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

So one phone doesnt have the customization you want so you are opting to buy a different phone.

Careful fella, that type of common sense level headed consumer minded thinking is scarce around these parts.

You're absolutely right and for those who are completely content with a locked device are just that....a scarce group of those that is surprising to be found on xda developers.

That's why those with common sense will be opting for the international (F) variant. That's an International Note 7 btw just in case you didn't know.

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
I keep hearing about this leaked eng fw. Is anyone thinking it's not available?

pcriz

No leaked one for Tmo, root involves using the sprint software, freezing some Sprint apps and putting in your Tmo apn.

Last I looked in the root thread, volte and wifi call still do not work with this method. If you flash anything it will need to be done in flash fire.

Reactions: abpuryear21
I have a theory on how to build a Frankenstein P/T variant userdebug kernel that should work with T-mo firmware and allow volte/wfc but i need to grab a device first before i can test... I've been holding out waiting to see what would happen, but apparently I'll need to get involved as this elusive t-variant engboot doesn't seem to be materializing....

The tricky part is preserving Samsung's signature...

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

ArioK13

Sep 13, 2013

Yeah pretty much. There is more that i do with my rooted phone just so used to being rooted that i just dont think about it anymore. I used to be an iPhone lover but don't like being locked down. Cant save files such as music, movies, pdf files & edit them, share a file with someone without plugging the iPhone and wiping it or download a file on the go. I just like to tinker and use certain apps such as cf. Lumens, dark pro, nandroid backup, titanium backup, edit my mixer.path file debloat my phone, kill running apps, make use of my sd card to its fullest, and just do small modifications to my phone to make it run how i like it to run but like i said, backup and copy my data from all applications since only way to backup that type of data is by being rooted on Samsung anyways. I've jailbroken my iPhone's and got tired of playing catch up before jumping on Samsung since the S2 age cause it was root friendly and kept buying Samsung (S2, S3, S4, S5, Note 3, Note 4 & now with my Note 7). I don't use custom roms like before and stay with stock but rooted but do like my option to use my exposed with wanam to turn off or on certain features such as loud warning, colors etc. If i feel like going into Nexus or LG for root cause my favorite phone (note series) wont be rooted friendly anymore than I will be moving on to some other phone, its just my taste of being able to do a bit more with a device that I work so hard to purchase and use and tweak to my taste, they may be small mods or tweaks but sure make a big difference in usage. I will say this, I will never go back to apple due to being a closed phone/device but others like that type of device but not me anymore. I like a little freedom to do what i want to it to make it my own by downloading, using it as a usb storage without wiping my data due to itunes. I buy my app, i strongly believe in supporting the apps makers but i also like blocking add that i get on my phone. Its just me, I'm not big mod type of guy or do some crazy stuff with my phone, just like the freedom to edit the look & feel of my very expensive toy [emoji51] it is my little computer on the go as i see it bro

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

There's denial written all over your responses so far, because you have yet to provide any valid reasoning whereas I have with facts that are inarguable.

You can count on one thing in that most people here on xda developers. <- That's developers btw, are more for wanting an unlocked bootloader than being comfortable with a $1000 device that is locked...ie...those with your content mindset.

The truth is the truth.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

We're with you....I know it sucks. Just hope for that leaked engineering firmware to be released some how some way....then we'll be on the road again with having the freedom we all have enjoyed so far.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

You're absolutely right and for those who are completely content with a locked device are just that....a scarce group of those that is surprising to be found on xda developers.

That's why those with common sense will be opting for the international (F) variant. That's an International Note 7 btw just in case you didn't know.
Keeping my fingers crossed. If i can donate and help for the cause, I dont mind, its cause of people that put their time and efforts to give us root, it wouldn't be possible without them type of guys. Kuddos and I thankful for their hard work.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 PM ----------

Its out there and working for the sprint. Currently the same rooting method works for tmobile as well but you loose wifi calling. Im waiting for the tmobile variant to be released and hoping it might be sooner than later but can't demand them to rush it.

trinilu27

Sep 27, 2014
salt lake city
So, the Canadian model is confirmed to have an unlocked bootloader?
Yes my phone is Carrier unlocked and the bootloader is unlocked out of the box
You might be right. I am not a dev. I am just going by past devices I gave had that were also locked. This might be a totally different monster. But you will be surprised at what devs cab do. If your right it will suck.

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 PM ----------

I thought I read that they have root for the S7?

Wow mate, i mean i get the whole lucky patcher thing, but he didn't make any kind of a reference about anything illicit...just seems maybe extreme to infract someone over a mention out of context...fwiw...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

FD model will give you dual SIM support via microSD slot in tray, that's the only difference between F and FD, FD even takes F firmware.

You can also grab N930W8 Canadian Snapdragon instead and get everything from T-Mobile variant with unlocked bootloader, VoLTE enabled via CSC. It seems that Canadian variant doesn't have FM radio enabled yet though. (neither do Exynos ones) It also doesn't seem to support Samsung Pay, but hacking T-Mobile CSC into it would no doubt disable that anyways.
It has not been confirmed whether or not N930W8 supports CDMA yet.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

For a w8?

Yes

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Phone would work great...long as Canadian w8 variant is unlocked you could use it on tmo and still have at least volte, maybe wifi calling on the right rom....the difference between F and FD versions is simply the FD is dual sim compatible if you don't use an sdcard...that's basically the only difference...and only real difference between T and W8 variants, so far, would seem to be the unlocked bootloader (assuming everything we're hearing about it being unlocked is true)

Yes my phone is Carrier unlocked it has unlock Bootloader I can use it for T-Mobile I can use it for Cricket I can use it for Metro PCS I can use it for AT&T excetera excetera and it CDMA besides that

trinilu27

Sep 27, 2014
salt lake city
Yes my phone is Carrier unlocked and the bootloader is unlocked out of the box

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Yes

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:49 PM ----------

Yes my phone is Carrier unlocked it has unlock Bootloader I can use it for T-Mobile I can use it for Cricket I can use it for Metro PCS I can use it for AT&T excetera excetera and it CDMA besides that

bfc3e88709b2b347cb103f925736ddaa.jpg
..OK so I was wrong about CDMA. ..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just got home..opened my phone...Went straight to computer...Did 7 times build...blah blah...OEM Unlock done...flashed TWRP for the Exynos Variant which is already Rooted. And had SU 2.76 on my phone just to be ready! It FLASHED...BUT failed! Ughhhh

what did the fail say? frp lock or ? what did it say on screen in download mode when it failed, also what is the current build number of the tmo note7 gonna make a quick test for u guys to tell if device is unlocked
    I didnt look...Ill flash again...give me a minute and Ill ge those stats

---------- Post added at 05:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 AM ----------

179c9d4692cfdd42e11b247520dc497b.jpg
    70a2f58a266a240e889e6ddeb7ec64f4.jpg

looks to be most likely locked, but i wouldnt give up all hope, it could be because it is the exynos version ur trying to flash, does anyone have the stock tar for tmobile note 7? i checked sammobile bnut they dont seem to have it yet :( if i can get that i can modify the recovery image slightly and we would know for sure if its locked.
    as long as people continue to break their phones by flashing/unlocking/modding/doing stupid stuff to it, and trying to make manufacturers repair/replace them after they screw it up, manufacturers will only further add things to their firmware to lock them up tightly..
    Its no different than what the automobile manufacturers have done in the last 10 years, by sealing up everything in the engine compartment, so you cant do anything except add oil/anti freeze/window fluid to your car, so you dont go messing with things that need to be fixed by the manufacturer.

there is no way things are going to ever be "less secure", nor will manufactures provide any sort of "unlock" for those that want to bypass their security

like it or not, this is how manufacturers think they can reduce warranty/service/repair costs..
    It's not even so much the warranty and repair costs...we're talking about the same demographic as folks who would even want root to begin with, and that's a microscopic drop in the bucket...99% of folks can't even tell you what a kernel or a rom IS, or what root even MEANS...and for the small percentage who DO flash and screw up their devices (to date I've NEVER bricked a Samsung beyond recoverable) it's not even enough money to make even a noticeable dent in profits....they're doing it because they want folks to be forced to use CarrierIQ and they went resellable usage data, and they're pushing samsung pay HARD....if we can't debloat or devices then carriers and 3rd parties will pay big money to have their BS forced down our throats...and to hell with knox and all the efuse BS...idc not one iota about a secure freaking folder and i don't pay $1000 to RENT the damn device from samsung. I buy it, i should be free to do whatever i want with it!

And let's not forget in many cases the devices are covered by insurance and samsung gets paid anyway....buy from carrier and samsung is paid in full by the carrier, THEY take the risk of losing device money, which even that is minimal cuz they make their bulk thru service so...............
    went with a Nexus a year ago, and never had more fun with a phone in my life!

Like me and many of the older members on XDA, we outgrow ROM flashing and no longer consider tweaking a phone fun.

With leasing programs carriers offer like Jump On Demand on T-Mobile I just pretty much jump to a new phone every 3 or 6 months for my "phone fun"

I currently do flash things but not phones... I get more fun out of flashing the ECU on my WRX.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    If you want an unlocked bootloader, get a HTC or a Nexus. Samsung will never get one unless an exploit is found and good luck waiting for it. Samsung Pay is what drives this decision and will be here to stay so stop complaining about it because it's really tiresome to hear noobs talk about this. All the current Samsung flagships are still great phones and the sense of root/unlocked bootloader entitlement that people have is ridiculous. Nobody is forcing you to spend the money so don't ***** about it.

Even the current root methods (there is NO unlocked bootloader people) for the S7 and S7 Edge is unsatisfactory because of the engineering boot kernel required, which results in quick overheating and battery drain (irregardless of what the fanboys tell you).

For some reason I don't think the late great Jerry Garcia would would support your heavy handed push for censorship, but I digress.

Many of us have been rooting our Samsung phones since Samsung's early android day, so a locked bootloader can be a hard pill to be forced down our throat. For myself, dating back to the Galaxy S Vibrant, I've never owned a device from another manufacturer and they have all rooted and rom'd. Even nexus I owned (Nexus S) was Samsung. So as a long-time loyal customer I think I've earned the right to voice my discontent, at least just as much of a right that you have to express your satisfaction.

There a two problems I see with the line of reasoning you mentioned about Samsung Pay:

1. Doesn't the n5 offer Samsung Pay without locked bootloader? Can't we at least be given the choice to store our personal information on our own device vs freedom to modify.

2. I realize the technology is different but Doesn't android pay work on rooted devices? Shouldn't it be my choice to share my financial information with a terminal that I know to be more likely compromised?

I guess I've just never been a proponent of bending over and taking it with a smile.