• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Windows Phone 8 on WP7 devices?

Search This thread

MikeyMike01

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 23, 2010
LOL, people already whine about no WP8 update, yet they have no idea what it will bring to the table, all they want is a number. All I care about is bit locker encryption and quad core CPU, there is no way WP8 update will add this on my device.

- I want WP8 update
- Why?
- Cause it says 8

- I want Apple, Apple is the best
- Why?
- Cause it's Apple

Well, hopefully, MS will release a registry patch, which changes version number from 7 to 8, so everyone is happy.

This attitude is preposterous.

Sent from my SGH-I897

magicsquid

Jun 17, 2011
London
- I want WP8 update
- Why?
- Cause it says 8

Here's two reasons (aka educated guesses) why an upgrade to WP8 could be beneficial:
- more apps able to use native code (rather than managed code), which should provide performance benefits to third-party apps that use it.
- ability to run apps written for WP8. We know WP8 will run WP7 apps. However, will WP7 run WP8 apps - this information is not available. Possible the supply of WP7 compatible apps could dry up over time.

But mostly just because I like the number 8 as you say :p

Last edited:

Kenzibit

Mar 4, 2012
Accra
LOL, people already whine about no WP8 update, yet they have no idea what it will bring to the table, all they want is a number. All I care about is bit locker encryption and quad core CPU, there is no way WP8 update will add this on my device.

- I want WP8 update

- Why?

- Cause it says 8

- I want Apple, Apple is the best

- Why?

- Cause it's Apple

Well, hopefully, MS will release a registry patch, which changes version number from 7 to 8, so everyone is happy.

We don't mean numbers when we talk of wp8. We talk of support, features, reliability and great updates. I don't need quad core in wp, to ask you, why u would u need it...it's not android os we talking about here we here in the forums know what we talking about and what we need so you just cant come here and say we need stuff cz the are there. Yea we need better encryption but to hell with quad cores on this os....it's for the market.

Sent from my HTC HD7 Windows Phone using Board Express.

EgoMaximus

Mar 14, 2010
We don't mean numbers when we talk of wp8. We talk of support, features, reliability and great updates. I don't need quad core in wp, to ask you, why u would u need it...it's not android os we talking about here we here in the forums know what we talking about and what we need so you just cant come here and say we need stuff cz the are there. Yea we need better encryption but to hell with quad cores on this os....it's for the market.

Because quad core enables to:

- Utilize all cores for the next generation games and apps, improving user experience and developers income options
- Utilize 1 out of 4+1 cores when idling, saving battery life and improving user experience
- 1080p video recording and support for 1080p high profile video
- Faster app and game loading times
- Better utilization of touch
- Better power per watt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehlRJZPsDY

Reactions: Kenzibit

Kenzibit

Mar 4, 2012
Accra
mickesm well

- Utilize all cores for the next generation games and apps, improving user experience and developers income options
- Utilize 1 out of 4+1 cores when idling, saving battery life and improving user experience
- Better power per watt

I'm not saying multiple cores are bad but it's we rather that we doing ourselves no good. We can never reach an ideal situation or be perfect. Upon all the points listed, what difference do you have with your current windows phone device? I mean I still have better UI, Fastness and everything with my HD7 but yet still people want more and OEMs are delivering it for their money. To tell you the truth, we will never get satisfied with quadcores when we get there and we will be dreaming of phones with icores and stuff like that...we will never get an ideal situation and I bet you, the way WP UI is smooth and fast, it will be the same way when we upgrade to multiple cores (in sense, you'll never be satisfied and want more although there's no difference just apps with heavy duty openers).

AshleyT

Oct 26, 2011
Salerno
I think that 1st generation phones won't be updated to Windows Phone 8, and here's the reason:

http://articles.businessinsider.com...5804_1_windows-phone-android-phones-andy-lees

Anyway I think this sucks. I bought my phone even before NoDo and it became completely usable only with Mango, so Microsoft used me as a betatester, because what I had before Mango was NOT a finished product!
They say that Apple is wrong because new OSs make older devices slower, well at least users have the possibility to choose if they want to upgrade or not!
Make my phone upgradable to WP8 and then I'll choose if it's too slow for me or it's OK, but this seems to me just a lame excuse to break the support for 1st gen devices. I don't want to change my phone because it's perfect as it is and I don't need something more powerful, that's all, but don't tell me that WP8 will need more than 1Ghz to run smooth...

Reactions: Kenzibit

EgoMaximus

Mar 14, 2010
I think that 1st generation phones won't be updated to Windows Phone 8, and here's the reason:

http://articles.businessinsider.com...5804_1_windows-phone-android-phones-andy-lees

Anyway I think this sucks. I bought my phone even before NoDo and it became completely usable only with Mango, so Microsoft used me as a betatester, because what I had before Mango was NOT a finished product!
They say that Apple is wrong because new OSs make older devices slower, well at least users have the possibility to choose if they want to upgrade or not!
Make my phone upgradable to WP8 and then I'll choose if it's too slow for me or it's OK, but this seems to me just a lame excuse to break the support for 1st gen devices. I don't want to change my phone because it's perfect as it is and I don't need something more powerful, that's all, but don't tell me that WP8 will need more than 1Ghz to run smooth...

You will get Tango, which is NOT for lower end devices only, as some speculate. There are two Tango versions.

Kenzibit

Mar 4, 2012
Accra

I agree with you brother, my HD7 is still new and good and I really don't wanna change my phone too coz too expensive in my country coz they are unbranded and not carrier based. I have to safe heavily in order to buy a new phone which is not possible coz current one is still working properly.

magicsquid

Jun 17, 2011
London

Except that the article doesn't say that. Terry gave no comment as to whether existing phones will be upgraded to WP8 - he avoided answering the question. "Myerson didn't answer, since Microsoft hasn't even announced its next mobile platform."

AshleyT

Oct 26, 2011
Salerno
You will get Tango, which is NOT for lower end devices only, as some speculate. There are two Tango versions.

Just because they change the OS name, doesn't mean it's a major update.
NoDo wasn't a major update, neither Tango will be.
Microsoft promised 2 major updates, so Mango and then... Apollo!
So if they don't update my device, I won't trust Microsoft again... Hoping that HaRET on WP7's project will be ultimated!

Kenzibit

Mar 4, 2012
Accra
Just because they change the OS name, doesn't mean it's a major update.
NoDo wasn't a major update, neither Tango will be.
Microsoft promised 2 major updates, so Mango and then... Apollo!
So if they don't update my device, I won't trust Microsoft again... Hoping that HaRET on WP7's project will be ultimated!

Yeah you right, we will never support them again coz what shows history wont repeat itself. We will get WP8 devices and then when it's time for WP9 upgrade, they will announce wp8 devices just can't. What sort of operating OS is that. They should try and copy apple whereby they deliver new updates to older devices based on hardware. They shouldn't force us to change phones coz they don't know our pockets but rather let the consumers decide if a new phone is needed....no matter the OS update.

ROCOAFZ

Jun 5, 2007

If it's perfect, then you don't need apollo and shouldn't really care about this thread right? And it will still work at the same speed without the update.

AshleyT

Oct 26, 2011
Salerno
Yes, but lots of new applications won't run on WP7 because they'll need more access to the system which will be possible only on WP8.
We will see something as Tango, where we will be able to install only some applications and this is unfair! If my phone can support it, I want it on my phone!
Otherwise my next phone will be a Nexus...

steve10

Dec 10, 2005
Yes, but lots of new applications won't run on WP7 because they'll need more access to the system which will be possible only on WP8.
We will see something as Tango, where we will be able to install only some applications and this is unfair! If my phone can support it, I want it on my phone!
Otherwise my next phone will be a Nexus...
I know you may realize this already, but I have to point out that Android has this limitation too. There are now apps that do not run on the myriad of 2.x devices out there because they were built with the 4.0 SDK (APK, or whatever they call it on Android). While we now know that Windows Phone will not be as uniformly updated as iOS, it is still far better off than Android. This being said, I think you'll find much better support over the long-term with Windows Phone over Android.

Secondly, I think it has been stated already that these low-end Tango devices will not be replacing hardware in "first-world markets" like the US, Canada, and western Europe. Devices in these countries should continue to have 512+MB of RAM and fully support the latest Windows Phone builds to the best of their ability. If that means early-generation devices don't get Windows Phone 8, that may be the case. But by then, the first-gen devices will be 2 years old and you'll likely want better hardware so that the newer software performs well anyway. I wouldn't worry too much, as Microsoft has never said anything about Apollo (mostly to avoid killing the market for upcoming Nokia devices this spring), so there's still a lot of time to wait out before we can celebrate or complain about support (or lack thereof) for Windows Phone 8 on older devices.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am not sure how many IT techs are aware of the new MS approach, but let me tell you this, as from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Sinofsky

Sinofsky's philosophy on Windows 7 was to not make any promises about the product or even discuss anything about the product until Microsoft was sure that it felt like a quality product. This was a radical departure from Microsoft's typical way of handling in-development versions of Windows, which was to publicly share all plans and details about it early in development cycle. Sinofsky also refrained from labeling versions of Windows "major" or "minor", and to instead just call them releases.

This is what they do with all MS products right now.

From talks with a few Microsoft employees, I can tell you that are hard feelings in Redmond about Mango.

Apparently, Mango was announced way too early. As a result, competitors were able to copy features and Windows Phone Mango weren't impressive compare to the competitors.

In addition, Microsoft is furious about Pocketnow's Apollo leak. In fact, furious is an understatement.
    I was originally told that ALL WP devices will get at least 2 major revision updates in their life cycle. Read that carefully. 2 Major revision -- Mango is a major revision. Tango is a minor update. So I'd assume Apollo will be the next major one. So ALL phones currently in the market will get Apollo.

Which is a big issue for OEMs since OEMs would rather sell you a new phone (see Android). WP also does not need multicore devices to function well anyways... so... I think we'll see Apollo on all of our devices.

- Better power per watt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DehlRJZPsDY