[Q] Xperia Play in 2019. Recommendations on Custom ROMs, SDs and emulators.

Search This thread

XenoGine

Oct 31, 2019
I've recently come into possession of practically new Xperia Play. And while I know it's specs are less than ideal nowadays, I figured there must be something that can be done to it in order to turn it into a relatively good console. So, I wanted to ask you all if this is possible. I've rooted and put on Custom ROMs on phones before, but never on something this... old?

To be clear, playing games is basically the one and only thing I want to do with this Xperia Play. If I can get to GBA emulation I'd be thrilled, but I can understand if something like that is impossible. Overall, I just wanted to ask you about your recommendations of Custom ROM and Kernel, which SD of which Class and Capacity should I get for it (because I know I'll have to use that in addition to making that SD internal storage somehow, I appreciate advice on that as well), and which consoles can I "reliable" emulate and play in it.

Thanks to everyone for your time.

SwisSwiss

Jan 14, 2017
hello, i just got one myself and from the research I have done it seems its more than capable of emulaiting GBA games. that being said the whole process of "jailbreaking" the device is still a little hazy for me. im trying to find the ost recent guide on how to do so but no real luck so far. iv rooted/jailbroken/modded several systems in my life time but never something like this.....hybrid.... to I consider it a hand held console or an android device (probably the later).

cant wait to have it up and running!!!

EDIT: apparently this is a taboo question. youre just meant to test them all and see which one fits you best... see...
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2157425

Last edited:

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
hello, i just got one myself and from the research I have done it seems its more than capable of emulaiting GBA games. that being said the whole process of "jailbreaking" the device is still a little hazy for me. im trying to find the ost recent guide on how to do so but no real luck so far. iv rooted/jailbroken/modded several systems in my life time but never something like this.....hybrid.... to I consider it a hand held console or an android device (probably the later).

cant wait to have it up and running!!!

EDIT: apparently this is a taboo question. youre just meant to test them all and see which one fits you best... see...
https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2157425
My recommendation is to follow that FAQ link and figure out how to unlock the bootloader, then root the phone. Then just use Root Explorer or some other app to delete unnecessary system apps to free up the internal storage. Don't bother with custom roms and kernels unless you really want to and feel comfortable with it, it just makes it more difficult to deal with. While the device is old, the emulators has improved, so it's not necessary to put custom rom to have a good experience.

The main problem with this phone is lack of internal storage. I recommend to not sign into Google account and not use the Playstore, by the time it updates Playstore and Google Play services, it takes up the entire's phone space (not that there's even enough space to do so) and slow down the entire phone. Just sideload apps.

For the Verizon model R800x, if I remember correctly you can't officially unlock the bootloader, but it run stock Android, instead of the skin version and is pretty light weight. I would just root and delete the bloatware apps. It's possible to install CWM recovery after rooting. I did remember using a third party kernel for R800x device, but I don't remember how I unlocked the bootloader if I did. I rather not care about it now because the R800i GSM version is much more recommended. I remembered the kernel and custom roms were unstable with the R800x, so except for rooting, I really don't think it's worth the time do go to such a depth with this device at this point.

Last edited:

SwisSwiss

Jan 14, 2017
My recommendation is to follow that FAQ link and figure out how to unlock the bootloader, then root the phone. Then just use Root Explorer or some other app to delete unnecessary system apps to free up the internal storage. Don't bother with custom roms and kernels unless you really want to and feel comfortable with it, it just makes it more difficult to deal with. While the device is old, the emulators has improved, so it's not necessary to put custom rom to have a good experience.

The main problem with this phone is lack of internal storage. I recommend to not sign into Google account and not use the Playstore, by the time it updates Playstore and Google Play services, it takes up the entire's phone space (not that there's even enough space to do so) and slow down the entire phone. Just sideload apps.

For the Verizon model R800x, if I remember correctly you can't officially unlock the bootloader, but it run stock Android, instead of the skin version and is pretty light weight. I would just root and delete the bloatware apps. It's possible to install CWM recovery after rooting. I did remember using a third party kernel for R800x device, but I don't remember how I unlocked the bootloader if I did. I rather not care about it now because the R800i GSM version is much more recommended. I remembered the kernel and custom roms were unstable with the R800x, so except for rooting, I really don't think it's worth the time do go to such a depth with this device at this point.

thank you for the reply and insightful information ekasol. glad tzo hear i wont have to play around with custom roms, im not afraid of the idea but if i can keep it simple would be better. its an 800i so we should be clear too open the bootloader.

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
thank you for the reply and insightful information ekasol. glad tzo hear i wont have to play around with custom roms, im not afraid of the idea but if i can keep it simple would be better. its an 800i so we should be clear too open the bootloader.
If you already managed to root the phone you're good to go, but if you haven't customize it too much, hold off for now. I'm making a comprehensive guide that will cover all the basics, tips, and useful apps that make this device run great. I saved a lot of firmware and files that are difficult to find anymore. Guide will be done soon, in one or two days.

edit: check here https://xdaforums.com/xperia-play/general/2020-guide-rooting-xperia-play-tips-t4041221

Last edited:
Reactions: SwisSwiss

SwisSwiss

Jan 14, 2017
If you already managed to root the phone you're good to go, but if you haven't customize it too much, hold off for now. I'm making a comprehensive guide that will cover all the basics, tips, and useful apps that make this device run great. I saved a lot of firmware and files that are difficult to find anymore. Guide will be done soon, in one or two days.

edit: check here https://xdaforums.com/xperia-play/general/2020-guide-rooting-xperia-play-tips-t4041221

fantastic timming, getting the play in 2 days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.