• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] Xperia S' screen problems

Search This thread

Scratchling

Feb 10, 2012
Dublin
Are there people where the yellow tint eventually went away and never came back, even when heating up?

And another question, does it stay visible after time, even after cooling down?

Yeah, for me it became visable at lower and lower temperatures over time.

So. Sent it off for repair. They did nothing and sent it back. Fúck. Gonna get my money back I think.

farvin

Apr 28, 2011
Is there anybody from Denmark, where the screen or phone got replaced?
How long time did it take? Just read about a lot of customers there is waiting quite some time because Sony can't deliver the parts.

Thanks in advance

Centurion_74

Apr 1, 2010
Hi,
I received my device on monday after it was nearly two weeks in service, cause of the yellow tint issue. They changed the handset. Before i had 12W10 AAAB.
Now I've 12W08 AA CB5 and of course also a new IMEI. Both were on Touch Firmware 7.

Tested it yesterday extensively and reached a temperature about 48°C with a little help from the sun when the XS was in the car.

There is NO yellow tint on the bottom and on the edges(left, right) of the screen anymore when i checked it via the white service screen (*#*#7378423#*#*).

But there are very, very, very, very light tints at the top in the corners, left and right, when the device is upper 42°C. They are really very, very hard to see. I discussed with my gf about them. She didn't see them. If i switched from white to the black, red, green screen they weren't visible anymore! On my opinion this issue is fixed for me, if the tints aren't getting stronger and new tints appear.

Will check it the next weeks and keep you informed, if it gets worse!

greetz

Hi,
yesterday I received the device from the service again.

First interesting thing is, that they really changed the display this time! And it is more yellowish (as some of you mentioned before in this thread) and the colors are not that clear anymore when you compare it to before.
I've the possibility to compare it, because my gf has the one with yellow tint. And guess what? I saw the tint on her device even it wasn't really warm! But it doesn't bother her.

Second thing is, that they downgrade the touch firmware back to version 6! I have no clue why they did this. There is also a difference in the UI(UserInterface) between these two touch firmware versions. :(

I'm testing the device now intensley.
NO yellow tint until now. Have a good feeling on this.

Hopefully it is fixed now!

MedicalFlyer

Feb 18, 2010
Croydon
Just received my phone back and it appears to be a new(refurb?) handset.
The marks where the corners had been rubbed in the case I was using aren't there and it's got a different IMEI.

More interestingly is it's still got a 3UK branded firmware but it's .73 which I've not seen anywhere.

I'll factory restore it later as it came already on in the box. Hopefully I won't get any problems now :)

arw9000

May 23, 2012
I got an xperia week 12 ABAC (sim free, UK) which developed the yellow tint less than a week after I got it.

I sent it back and got a replacement that is week 16. This week 16 has a clearly different screen. The hue does not look the same and everything is slightly more yellowish overall. It is not quite as bright as the week 12 one, but it has suffered higher temperatures without the obvious blotches of yellow that I had on the first one (touch wood).

Overall worth trading in - the original screen may have been awesome but it wasn't worth it to have blotches when it got hot.

Last edited:

batman_112

Nov 9, 2010
Muscat
Does anyone know if Sony has fixed this problem? I contacted a seller on eBay and they said that they have received new stock last week and they assume that it does not have this problem.

Can someone please confirm if the new batches are yellow-tint free?

richteralan

Aug 3, 2010
Hong Kong
Does anyone know if Sony has fixed this problem? I contacted a seller on eBay and they said that they have received new stock last week and they assume that it does not have this problem.

Can someone please confirm if the new batches are yellow-tint free?

Sony said no more yellow spots.

And my 12W15 ABAE does not have yellow spots.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

My touch firmware is also 6,

Anyone know the difference between 6 & 7 ?

Thanks

6 is warm LCD screen

7 is cold LCD screen

warm/cold means color temperature.

Reactions: LahiruRD

YYvo

Nov 25, 2010
I might not be writing in the right thread but i was wondering if anybody found any relation between the screen issues and the heating up of the phone (thus more battery consumption). Maybe the glue has some influence there in warming up the device. Just a thought. Feel free to neglect. Thanks anyway for any response.

P.s. I have 12W09 AAAB. Tint shows as low as 29/30 C now.

dibdin

Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Just got my replacement from the service centre today. It is 12W17. Too early to say if there is any yellow tint. This is my fifth handset now. If I get the same problem with this one, I am seriously thinking of selling it and getting a Samsung Galaxy 3. Hopefully this wont be the case, as apart from this one issue I really love this phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

I'm writing this info to help as asked by "alsaqr", very nice guy. :)

I bought the Rogers's version. I do not have the yellow tint problem. Here's the following information on the device.

The number is 6 for Touch Firmware
    The letters above the 12W14 are ABAE

I hope this helps. :)
    Good Job SONY!

Batch ACAC 12W22, Anyone else got this ? Hows your screen ?

All AC doesn't have yellow tint/screen issue. I can confirm it because I have ACAG, my phone is 3 weeks old and I'm playing HD games like MC3, N.O.V.A. 3, Sahdowgun etc.. to the point that my phone reaches (I think the hottest temperature) but no yellow tint/spots/screen issues. :good: thumbs up for SONY!
    Thanks , I have touch firmware number 6 , so i dont have to worry as you say. thanks again.

No problem glad to help you! You can hit thanks :)

nokia 3310 > sony ericsson t250i > nokia 5530 > htc wildfire > sony ericsson xperia play > sony xperia s
    And what about ACAE 12W23 , in black ?

Dial *#*#7378423#*#* go to service info > software info, if your touch firmware is 6 you don't have to worry. All AC versions including yours doesn't or will not have yellow spots ir tints.

nokia 3310 > sony ericsson t250i > nokia 5530 > htc wildfire > sony ericsson xperia play > sony xperia s
    Just wanted to let people in the US know that Global Mobiles have phones in stock through Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HHOEKG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Those should be the new batch.