• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Q] Your Opinion Please ! (on the Xperia Z)

Search This thread

mastawindu

Sep 4, 2009
Dear XDA fellows,

I currently have a Galaxy S2 but scratched its screen last Saturday.

I am thinking of buying a new phone with a low budget (less than 400€) and the Xperia Z seems to be a good phone. It looks resistant, has good specs, a big screen, big battery and is waterproof. But in order to make up my mind I need your opinion as long lime users.

Can you please tell me what you think of that device ?

Especially :
- Batter life
- Any major issue
- Resistance to scratches, drops...
- Possibility of easily flashing custom roms / kernels
- Anything I need to know about the phone

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

Last edited:

iDroid8

Dec 18, 2012
London
Battery life is far succeeded by Snapdragon 800 devices. The S4 Pro is getting old and doesn't have anywhere near as good the power management. Scratches are not a problem, mine is pristine after over a year, custom ROMs and stuff are easy to get. The headphone jack needs a flap, whereas the Z1/Compact and Z2 are uncovered. The bezels are quite large and the camera processing needs work (Cybershot add-ons by the community are here though). I'd go for the Z1 Compact, performance will be much better with the (still very high quality) 720p screen and much better processor. The camera is the same as in the Z1 (and Z2 if I'm not mistaken). The Z1C also fixed issues regarding the screen viewing angles (I've never noticed any issues with my Z, and have compared it side by side to a Z1).

Reactions: mastawindu

Akiainavas

Mar 26, 2012
Basingstoke
Especially :
- Batter life
- Any major issue
- Resistance to scratches, drops...
- Possibility of easily flashing custom roms / kernels
- Anything I need to know about the phone

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

My Xperia Z experience:

- Been using it for 13 months now
- Never used a case
- Screen protectors on both front and back from day one
- Dropped the phone: twice

Now to answer your questions:

- Battery life: satisfactory. It's on par with most smartphones really. 1 day of intensive use and 2 days of slight use. Surprisingly, after over a year, I didn't notice a drop of battery life.
- Major issues: poor viewing angles, you will get used to it, but it's a bit annoying sometimes.
- Resistance to scratches: if you're going to use screen protectors - nothing to worry about. If you're not going to use a screen protector - you're going to pretty much f... your phone as there a shatterproof film on it, and that gets scratched easily. So just stick the bundled protector on the front and the back and you're ready to go and safe for months. Drops ? Surprisingly resistant. After first drop it suffered a small dent on the side as it hit metal chair support directly. Decond drop - facet front on concrete - nothing happened apart from me having to replace the screen protector. The frame around the phone is ridiculously hard to scratch.
- Custom roms: very easy, full cyanogenmod support - remember that you will lose Bravia engine forever once you onlock the bootloader.
- Anything you need to know: not much really. It's a very good device with some minor flaws and a less then perfect screen. The speaker is not very loud, maybe that. Oh, and KitKat is coming in May.

Would I recommend the phone after using if for almost 14 months ? When I bought it, Sony asked a hefty £549 for it. And for that price, I would say no, at least not now of course. But for ~£300 - as it sells now - I would definitely recommend it if you don't really need the "latest and greatest". It's a good phone with some flaws, but in general a good value for your money.

Would I choose Z over Z1 Compact ? Yes, definitely, because of 5" screen - and this is up to you what size you prefer. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Tommy-Geenexus

Apr 30, 2013
I live on a Stone Hill.
Battery life is far succeeded by Snapdragon 800 devices. The S4 Pro is getting old and doesn't have anywhere near as good the power management. Scratches are not a problem, mine is pristine after over a year, custom ROMs and stuff are easy to get. The headphone jack needs a flap, whereas the Z1/Compact and Z2 are uncovered. The bezels are quite large and the camera processing needs work (Cybershot add-ons by the community are here though). I'd go for the Z1 Compact, performance will be much better with the (still very high quality) 720p screen and much better processor. The camera is the same as in the Z1 (and Z2 if I'm not mistaken). The Z1C also fixed issues regarding the screen viewing angles (I've never noticed any issues with my Z, and have compared it side by side to a Z1).

Wrong. The Z has a good battery life, the bezels are far from beeing big and it's smooth and has a great build quality.

Also S800 has worse battery life due to the much higher clocks, i'm speaking of experience.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

tOrNadO™

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 27, 2012
Bangalore
Ofc what above user has said is true.. Z1 is a flop because of the viewing angles and bad battery life than actual h/w capability.. Due to more power consumption by the s/w.. XZ is far better in terms of power management and build quality than XZ1.. Hence XZ2 is here.. But still doubtful as if it would be a hit or another Z1 itself.. But one should also know that Z has been built well, first of its kind.. Waterproof works very well, but u should be very careful with the flaps and the rubber inside.. And also not a hiccup in the UI, no lags at all.. Battery life is good enough.. Use some battery saving techniques.. ;) And Camera is quite awesome if u use the perfect settings manually although Superior Auto works better only with daylight.. It brings a lot of awesome features if u really like photography.. Camera 2 is one app which made me remove all photo editing apps on my phone.. I love music quality and Movies app supports all video formats which helps a lot.. Display is crisp and with 441ppi and Auto Brightness u can easily be able to use the phone under bright sunlight with not much of a problem.. Also the device has a lot of support from different communities and SONY actually does care for XZ more than XZ1(This is a fact provided by one of SONY devs whom i know).. Hence nothing to worry.. U will not regret buying a XZ.. Just a suggestion, be gentle with flaps.. They arent very friendly.. ;)

iDroid8

Dec 18, 2012
London
And also not a hiccup in the UI, no lags at all.. Battery life is good enough.. Use some battery saving techniques... And camera is quite awesome... I love music quality and Movies app supports all video formats which helps a lot..

There's plenty of "lags" in the UI, opening the app draw and closing an ago to get to the homescreen gets regular slowdown. The camera is grainy, nowhere near as good as any competitors. Music quality depends on the files you play, the Walkman app can't suddenly make some crappy, turn-of-the-century downloaded MP3s sound good quality. The movie app definitely doesn't support all formats, that's a lie.

Tommy-Geenexus

Apr 30, 2013
I live on a Stone Hill.
There's plenty of "lags" in the UI, opening the app draw and closing an ago to get to the homescreen gets regular slowdown. The camera is grainy, nowhere near as good as any competitors. Music quality depends on the files you play, the Walkman app can't suddenly make some crappy, turn-of-the-century downloaded MP3s sound good quality. The movie app definitely doesn't support all formats, that's a lie.

No lags here [emoji15]

Gesendet von meinem C6603 mit Tapatalk

gripfly

Jul 13, 2013

No lags here too! For me it is smooth and stable.

tOrNadO™

Oct 27, 2012
Bangalore

You must have somehow messed up your ROM.. But here, as well as the other couple of users never experienced any lag.. Not a hiccup as i say again.. And my Walkman plays all audio formats except for WMA and WAV which are utter poor quality formats hence i don't care.. And also Movies app doesn't play only one format WMV which i also don't care, but till date i have downloaded more than 500 movies atleast.. None of them gave me the problem of Not playing.. All videos play on my device with Movies app itself.. And most importantly, when copying from PC i don't select to convert and copy.. I just copy.. ;)

iDroid8

Dec 18, 2012
London
You must have somehow messed up your ROM.. But here, as well as the other couple of users never experienced any lag.. Not a hiccup as i say again.. And my Walkman plays all audio formats except for WMA and WAV which are utter poor quality formats hence i don't care.. And also Movies app doesn't play only one format WMV which i also don't care, but till date i have downloaded more than 500 movies atleast.. None of them gave me the problem of Not playing.. All videos play on my device with Movies app itself.. And most importantly, when copying from PC i don't select to convert and copy.. I just copy.. ;)
So you watched loads of movies and claimed that it will play every format? Come on, get it together.

revee1

Oct 22, 2008
I bought mine 2 weeks ago for 308 Euros, brand new. I must say the build quality is excellent. Battery is very good.Display is perfect, also outside.
I am coming from an LG Optimus 2x.which served me for over 2 years without any problems. But the XZ is a complete new experience. I am so happy i went for this one.

mastawindu

Sep 4, 2009
Bought it !

Hi guys,

Following your good feedback I bought the Xperia Z and I have to say it is an excellent phone. Sony definitely made a milestone with this device, IMHO it surpasses Samsung in terms of quality (hardware and software) and premium feel.

Thanks to everyone who took time to give me some advises in this thread.:good:

OMC-LUXOR

Feb 14, 2012
Rotterdam
I dunno about the the build quality but the z has a clean design like a smooth car now they throw some chrome on it and call it z1 and it became ugly again..... It's not always progress.

my name is Luxor, and i'm a flashoholic.

neoxx3m

Dec 8, 2009
Ljubuski
I dunno about the the build quality but the z has a clean design like a smooth car now they throw some chrome on it and call it z1 and it became ugly again..... It's not always progress.

Theres no chrome on Z1, only brushed aluminium. And Z1 is one of the best looking phones in Xperia line out there. Did you even try to hold Z1 and compare it with Z?

OMC-LUXOR

Feb 14, 2012
Rotterdam
Theres no chrome on Z1, only brushed aluminium. And Z1 is one of the best looking phones in Xperia line out there. Did you even try to hold Z1 and compare it with Z?

It is figure of speech, yes I owned one to for 3 months and it is a wonderful phone but still I think the z is smoother and cleaner. You can get mad that I do not agree with you.... Some people like flashy things and some don't. I don't.

tOrNadO™

Oct 27, 2012
Bangalore
Z is better than Z1 in build quality? Give me a break man. Z1 is far better in build quality, believe me (I had Z1). Aluminium frame and better glass give a much better feeling of quality and premium look than the Xperia Z (polycarbonate plastics and "plastic" glass). :)

Plastic glass, my friend.. Less prone to get broken.. I have seen more defective Z1's with broken glass due to heating.. Z's internal design is better.. Z1's internal motherboard circuit has GPU next to CPU and hence heats more.. Z's Camera is next to CPU, hence Z heats more when Camera is ON.. Sony's design in motherboard has to get better..

neoxx3m

Dec 8, 2009
Ljubuski
Plastic glass, my friend.. Less prone to get broken.. I have seen more defective Z1's with broken glass due to heating.. Z's internal design is better.. Z1's internal motherboard circuit has GPU next to CPU and hence heats more.. Z's Camera is next to CPU, hence Z heats more when Camera is ON.. Sony's design in motherboard has to get better..

Heating on Z and Z1 during heavy gaming is almost the same, and that is good because Z1 CPU clocks on higher freq. and I never had problem with overheating. I worked in official Sony repair center so you don't need to explain me difference between motherboard design on Z and Z1. ;)

Sent from my C6603 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Bought it !

Hi guys,

Following your good feedback I bought the Xperia Z and I have to say it is an excellent phone. Sony definitely made a milestone with this device, IMHO it surpasses Samsung in terms of quality (hardware and software) and premium feel.

Thanks to everyone who took time to give me some advises in this thread.:good:

Wrong. The Z has a good battery life, the bezels are far from beeing big and it's smooth and has a great build quality.

Also S800 has worse battery life due to the much higher clocks, i'm speaking of experience.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk
    Ofc what above user has said is true.. Z1 is a flop because of the viewing angles and bad battery life than actual h/w capability.. Due to more power consumption by the s/w.. XZ is far better in terms of power management and build quality than XZ1.. Hence XZ2 is here.. But still doubtful as if it would be a hit or another Z1 itself.. But one should also know that Z has been built well, first of its kind.. Waterproof works very well, but u should be very careful with the flaps and the rubber inside.. And also not a hiccup in the UI, no lags at all.. Battery life is good enough.. Use some battery saving techniques.. ;) And Camera is quite awesome if u use the perfect settings manually although Superior Auto works better only with daylight.. It brings a lot of awesome features if u really like photography.. Camera 2 is one app which made me remove all photo editing apps on my phone.. I love music quality and Movies app supports all video formats which helps a lot.. Display is crisp and with 441ppi and Auto Brightness u can easily be able to use the phone under bright sunlight with not much of a problem.. Also the device has a lot of support from different communities and SONY actually does care for XZ more than XZ1(This is a fact provided by one of SONY devs whom i know).. Hence nothing to worry.. U will not regret buying a XZ.. Just a suggestion, be gentle with flaps.. They arent very friendly.. ;)

No lags here too! For me it is smooth and stable.

No lags here [emoji15]