• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Q] Zip to APK issue

Search This thread

andy.tae.koh

Feb 9, 2012
I just download MMOJ game, and wanted to make some changes for fun. I changed file extension from .APK to .Zip, unzip the file, modfied a .lua file, zip the files, and changed the extension back to .apk. Then, I tried to install the game, and then I receive "Parsing Error". What did I do wrong? As you can tell, I don't have a good programming skill, so when providing answers, please be as detail as possible, so any new comers can understand the explanation and solutions.
Thank you.

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
You need to find a program to properly de/recompile for you, search out apktool as one of many options, there will surely be instructions as well in you searches

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

andy.tae.koh

Feb 9, 2012
You need to find a program to properly de/recompile for you, search out apktool as one of many options, there will surely be instructions as well in you searches

Thanks for the reply. Because many people said that I can change .apk to zip and back to .apk, I thought de/recompile program was unnecessary. I will try a program. Any recommendation? Preferably free?

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Depending on what you do yes you can unzip do somethings then rezip, but for most changes it needs to be decompiled, I usually use apktool, initially made by brut.all but has been updated by others, right now I believe version 3 is the latest

andy.tae.koh

Feb 9, 2012
Depending on what you do yes you can unzip do somethings then rezip, but for most changes it needs to be decompiled, I usually use apktool, initially made by brut.all but has been updated by others, right now I believe version 3 is the latest

I tried apktool, but after extracting the folder AndroidApktool in C:\ and put the .apk file I want to modify along with framework-res.apk, AndroidApktool.exe does not start. It gives an error. Is my PC language setting as Korean a problem, do you think?

hasbrobot

May 22, 2010
Once changed from a zip to an apk after being modified.the apk usually needs to be resigned before attempting to reinstall again.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

demkantor

Nov 10, 2011
mpls
Um, did you open cmd/terminal and tell it to decompile?
apktool d xxx.apk
Or what do you mean by it doesn't start?

andy.tae.koh

Feb 9, 2012
Um, did you open cmd/terminal and tell it to decompile?
apktool d xxx.apk
Or what do you mean by it doesn't start?

No, I did not use the command line apktool d xxx.apk. I may have to read how-to.txt to understand how to execute the file. Because apktool was an executable file, I thought double clicking would start the program with graphical user interface waiting for further input from the user.

Last edited: