[Q] ZTE Maven z812

Search This thread

tkmantz

Aug 11, 2015
You can use SRSRoot to root the Mavern/Z812

I tried, but it doesn't work correctly. I'm using the latest (5.1) version. Both the "Root Device (All Methods)" and "Root Device (SmartRoot)" buttons claim to root the phone, but any rootchecker will tell you otherwise, and if you try the "UnRoot Device" button on SRS Root it verifies that it is not rooted. Here's my complete output.

---= SRS One-Click-Root v5.1 =---
5:15:26 PM - Starting ADB Server...
5:15:31 PM - Manufacturer: ZTE
5:15:31 PM - Model: Z812
5:15:31 PM - Android Version: 5.1
5:15:31 PM - Build ID: Z812V1.0.0B15
5:15:31 PM - Board ID: xuantan
5:15:31 PM - Chipset Platform: msm8916
5:15:31 PM - Getting OffSets.. : error: only position independent executables (PIE) are supported. (False) <-- this line raised my eyebrow
5:15:32 PM - Query Server for Best Method.. Found Rootkit: 8
----= Start Rooting Process.. Please Wait =----
5:15:32 PM [+] Testing exploit: root8 (please wait..)
5:15:33 PM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/W..
5:15:33 PM [+] Installing SU Binary...
5:15:33 PM [+] Installing SuperUser APK...
5:15:34 PM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/O..
5:15:40 PM [+] Rooting Complete !

Framaroot doesn't work either. Others may but I've got my doubts due to the phone having Android 5.1. I think they may have to find a new exploit to get it rooted but I'm of the impression that all the hardware is suitable.

cotylee1991

Oct 21, 2011
Broadview Heights
I tried, but it doesn't work correctly. I'm using the latest (5.1) version. Both the "Root Device (All Methods)" and "Root Device (SmartRoot)" buttons claim to root the phone, but any rootchecker will tell you otherwise, and if you try the "UnRoot Device" button on SRS Root it verifies that it is not rooted. Here's my complete output.

---= SRS One-Click-Root v5.1 =---

5:15:26 PM - Starting ADB Server...

5:15:31 PM - Manufacturer: ZTE

5:15:31 PM - Model: Z812

5:15:31 PM - Android Version: 5.1

5:15:31 PM - Build ID: Z812V1.0.0B15

5:15:31 PM - Board ID: xuantan

5:15:31 PM - Chipset Platform: msm8916

5:15:31 PM - Getting OffSets.. : error: only position independent executables (PIE) are supported. (False) <-- this line raised my eyebrow

5:15:32 PM - Query Server for Best Method.. Found Rootkit: 8

----= Start Rooting Process.. Please Wait =----

5:15:32 PM [+] Testing exploit: root8 (please wait..)

5:15:33 PM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/W..

5:15:33 PM [+] Installing SU Binary...

5:15:33 PM [+] Installing SuperUser APK...

5:15:34 PM [+] Remounting /system Filesystem as R/O..

5:15:40 PM [+] Rooting Complete !

Framaroot doesn't work either. Others may but I've got my doubts due to the phone having Android 5.1. I think they may have to find a new exploit to get it rooted but I'm of the impression that all the hardware is suitable.

That's awfully strange. It was verified to work on the Z812. Have you considered King Root? It doesn't install super user, but it installs King Roots version of super user and works the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tkmantz

Aug 11, 2015
That's awfully strange. It was verified to work on the Z812. Have you considered King Root? It doesn't install super user, but it installs King Roots version of super user and works the same.

I had considered it but I didn't really want to go that route. I went ahead and tried it anyway (just now) and it didn't work.

I is sad :(

Reactions: timba123

tkmantz

Aug 11, 2015
I eagerly await any news you might have. Thanks for taking the time to look into it.

Also, if some admin or mod wants to change the thread name from XTE -> ZTE that'd be awesome.

tkmantz

Aug 11, 2015
Can you by chance list the root methods you've tried already?

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

I've only tried the three mentioned in this thread, Framaroot, SRS Root and Kingo Root. I'm willing to give anything else a shot but I'm not sure where to start. I'm great with computers but new to rooting phones.

cotylee1991

Oct 21, 2011
Broadview Heights
Have you tried KingoRoot? Completely different than King Root. I used it to root my Chinese budget tablet. I'm in the same boat with you, I'm a developer, and very tech savvy, and the only reason it's hard to do much with this phone is because it's a cheaper device that most developers don't want to put time into. Not that it's not a good phone, because it works great for my girlfriend.

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

The link to download to either Windows or install it on your Android for one-click root is http://www.kingoapp.com/

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:02 PM ----------

EDIT: I'm sorry, I thought you Tried KingRoot, not Kingo. I'm still searching for something else that'll work.

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

I can't promise this one will work, I found it on XDA.

1. Download Super-Root.apk for ZTE Maven from this link : http://root.ngemobi.com/android-root-master.html
2. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable. (Skip this, and 2 and 3 if you downloaded using your phone)
3. Copy the Super-Root.apk over to the root of your SD card.
4. Once it’s been copied, disconnect your device from your PC.
5. Head to Menu>>Settings>>Security on your device and enable the Unknown sources option.
6. Open the File Manager app on your device and install the app you copied earlier to your device.
7. Once the app’s been installed, launch it from your App Drawer.
8. Select Install SuperSU from the first dropdown menu.
9. Select exploit, tap on it in the app.
10. The app should begin rooting your device, shouldn’t take too long to finish.
11. Reboot your device once it’s been rooted.
12. You’re all done! Excellent! You’ve successfully rooted your Android device using the Super-Root.apk app and you should now be able to see the SuperSU app in your App Drawer!

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Just to make sure, you have USB Debugging enabled, right?

Reactions: sharksfan7

sharksfan7

Aug 7, 2011
San Diego
I can't promise this one will work, I found it on XDA.

1. Download Super-Root.apk for ZTE Maven from this link : http://root.ngemobi.com/android-root-master.html
2. Connect your device to your PC using the USB cable. (Skip this, and 2 and 3 if you downloaded using your phone)
3. Copy the Super-Root.apk over to the root of your SD card.
4. Once it’s been copied, disconnect your device from your PC.
5. Head to Menu>>Settings>>Security on your device and enable the Unknown sources option.
6. Open the File Manager app on your device and install the app you copied earlier to your device.
7. Once the app’s been installed, launch it from your App Drawer.
8. Select Install SuperSU from the first dropdown menu.
9. Select exploit, tap on it in the app.
10. The app should begin rooting your device, shouldn’t take too long to finish.
11. Reboot your device once it’s been rooted.
12. You’re all done! Excellent! You’ve successfully rooted your Android device using the Super-Root.apk app and you should now be able to see the SuperSU app in your App Drawer!

---------- Post added at 01:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Just to make sure, you have USB Debugging enabled, right?

Thanks for posting this. I just ordered this phone. Should get it in a couple of days. Been searching for a way to root it. Will be trying this & SRS Root. Hopefully one of these methods will work.

Have you seen a custom recovery that will work for this device? Would like to be able to make a nandroid of the stock ROM.

cotylee1991

Oct 21, 2011
Broadview Heights
Thanks for posting this. I just ordered this phone. Should get it in a couple of days. Been searching for a way to root it. Will be trying this & SRS Root. Hopefully one of these methods will work.

Have you seen a custom recovery that will work for this device? Would like to be able to make a nandroid of the stock ROM.
No problem, I hope it helps you all out. I currently don't work much on the Mavern, as the Asus ZenFone 2E and LG Volt are my primaries, so I haven't seen any recoveries for the Mavern yet, but I'm keeping my eye open on TWRP to release a recovery.

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharksfan7

sharksfan7

Aug 7, 2011
San Diego
Received the ZTE Maven today. Just to clarify it's the AT&T GoPhone version of the ZTE Z812 (Build# Z812V1.0.0B15), Android version 5.1. Tried three methods to root and all failed.

First try: SRSRoot
Used the All Methods option. The application indicated "Rooting Complete" but after restarting the device, found it was not rooted. Installed the SuperSU apk but it said the binaries are not installed and could not be installed.

Second try: Super-root root-master.apk suggested by cotylee1991
Installed apk on device. Ran the app. Took several minutes to run the attempt but finally said it failed.

Third try: Super-root PC Root application
Installed the program on my computer, connected the device and attempted to root. Again, several minutes later program states rooting failed.

Not going to try any other methods at this point. I'll wait until I see postings of actual successful methods and a custom recovery. Hope they show up soon.

ornamentalorb

Aug 25, 2015
I have this phone and I've also had no luck. I hope someone resolves this soon.

Received the ZTE Maven today. Just to clarify it's the AT&T GoPhone version of the ZTE Z812 (Build# Z812V1.0.0B15), Android version 5.1. Tried three methods to root and all failed.

First try: SRSRoot
Used the All Methods option. The application indicated "Rooting Complete" but after restarting the device, found it was not rooted. Installed the SuperSU apk but it said the binaries are not installed and could not be installed.

Second try: Super-root root-master.apk suggested by cotylee1991
Installed apk on device. Ran the app. Took several minutes to run the attempt but finally said it failed.

Third try: Super-root PC Root application
Installed the program on my computer, connected the device and attempted to root. Again, several minutes later program states rooting failed.

Not going to try any other methods at this point. I'll wait until I see postings of actual successful methods and a custom recovery. Hope they show up soon.

May 8, 2014
Toa Alta, PR
have tried everything and nothing

ive tried
king root
kingoroot
iroot
the sm whatever root
and every root posted here and nothing
i dont even see the phone on a developing page, its just sad
why don't we start by making a page for the phone on the forum and go from there maybe some developers will jump in if there were anything official

Reactions: calbertrick

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I wanted to know about framaroot for my ZTE Maven z812. Can I use this or another simple rooter?
    got linux up and running on my laptop, gonna start decompiling the recovery.img and boot.img see what changes i can make
    Hey guys just got this phone for Christmas, actually I'm pretty happy with the phone other than root, luckily I am a Linux software developer. I am pretty experienced with doing this type of work, a quick review of my XDA profile should be enough proof for you guys to trust me on this so you don't think I am just blowing smoke.
    The problem I have right now is I live in a new location where we just put our new home and there is no DSL or cable isps willing to give me service.
    I planned to use this phone tethered or in hot spot mode for internet, but after activating my straight talk service the zte firmware seems to restrict modifying the APN settings, therefore the setting for hotspot can't be activated because it thinks I'm not an at&t customer..

So I am just letting you guys know you have someone onboard for rooting the zte maven. Just please don't rush me because I will have to borrow someone else's internet for a couple days to actually set down and exploit the current firmware, create custom recovery, and then finally IF successful root and possibly even custom Roms.. But again please be patient and don't take it as a promise but as of this moment it has a priority on my to-do list ;) thanks guys
    Thread cleaned.

"Trolling" is a one-way road to Goodbyeville - you know who you are and if you continue to make claims you cannot substantiate...
    update:

i was able to make a full raw backup of the entire emmc last night, which is just under 8gb.

i was able to view the partitions of the device and all their contents this way.

the most interesting thing that i found is the order the partitions are accessed by the bootloader which was in the last recovery log on the cache partition

there was also an encrypted keystore file on one of the other partitions but it is unfortunately unreadable.

i'm purchasing a spare device today since i just broke my screen a couple of days ago. i'm going to live restore a raw image of /system that i have made with root added since system mounted read only and see what happens. since i'll have another device i don't care if it bricks it or not. i don't suspect that it will.

i'll update later tonight.