(Q) ZTE N800 Awe software?

Search This thread

dragonhart6505

Jun 20, 2010
Reading, PA
Is there currently, or will there ever be, any development for custom recoveries or roms for the ZTE N800 Awe?
Picked this up on Black Friday for $20 and it is by far one of the best phones I've owned yet, which is saying something. Just look at my signature. And I have a half-bricked GSIII I'm close to having fixed but for the while this ZTE Awe is phenomenal! After rooting, unlocked its (for whatever reason) locked 2nd core and it seriously flies. Gaming isnt an issue, even if it is a bit underpowered. COD: BOZ runs like a champ, Modern Combat 4, Nova 3...and thats WITHOUT the 2nd core unlocked to save battery. If we had some serious development for kernels and roms this phone would be an absolute gem. When I get a few free moments I'll update with a Quadrant score and as a bonus a recording (yes, live gameplay from the device itself) of me playing something.
C'mon devs! Please make this happen?!

Edit: Overclock achieved! Quadrant score from my own most recent test at 1.94ghz performance on both cores. Was getting higher scores but I got too much crap on my phone >_< Check out http://www.androidforums.com/awe-all-things-root for the tut and test for yourself!:good::good::good:

Credits to rbheromax (sorry i forgot you bro!), cooldudezach and junkie2100 for their work, me and zeruth helped test. Here's to whatever comes next!
Sent from my N800 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 2013-12-12-00-38-01.png
    2013-12-12-00-38-01.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Reactions: justlovejoy

marblekit

Dec 16, 2010
Is there currently, or will there ever be, any development for custom recoveries or roms for the ZTE N800 Awe?
Picked this up on Black Friday for $20 and it is by far one of the best phones I've owned yet, which is saying something. Just look at my signature. And I have a half-bricked GSIII I'm close to having fixed but for the while this ZTE Awe is phenomenal! After rooting, unlocked its (for whatever reason) locked 2nd core and it seriously flies. Gaming isnt an issue, even if it is a bit underpowered. COD: BOZ runs like a champ, Modern Combat 4, Nova 3...and thats WITHOUT the 2nd core unlocked to save battery. If we had some serious development for kernels and roms this phone would be an absolute gem. When I get a few free moments I'll update with a Quadrant score and as a bonus a recording (yes, live gameplay from the device itself) of me playing something.

I also got this phone on Black Friday and it's a decent phone with the Snapdragon 400 CPU. MSM8630 dual core at 1.2 ghz. I rooted with Cydia Impactor and themed with Kit Kat bootanimation and UI sounds :)

How do you know if the second core is active? Is it automatically active when you root it?

I wanted to put CWM recovery on this but can't seem to find a method to get it on here.... does anyone know?

I've tried to install the new Google Experience Launcher on this phone even though it is running 4.1.2 with the latest Google Search apk but as soon as I run the launcher I get a force close from Google Search. I can't get it to work. I even tried replacing the library file with no success... I think something else is running in the background that is conflicting but I don't know how to find out what it is....

My wifi seems to lock up after the phone has been on for a few hours and I have to reboot it to get it to come back... any clues as to why that is happening?

dragonhart6505

Jun 20, 2010
Reading, PA
I also got this phone on Black Friday and it's a decent phone with the Snapdragon 400 CPU. MSM8630 dual core at 1.2 ghz. I rooted with Cydia Impactor and themed with Kit Kat bootanimation and UI sounds :)

How do you know if the second core is active? Is it automatically active when you root it?

I wanted to put CWM recovery on this but can't seem to find a method to get it on here.... does anyone know?

I've tried to install the new Google Experience Launcher on this phone even though it is running 4.1.2 with the latest Google Search apk but as soon as I run the launcher I get a force close from Google Search. I can't get it to work. I even tried replacing the library file with no success... I think something else is running in the background that is conflicting but I don't know how to find out what it is....

My wifi seems to lock up after the phone has been on for a few hours and I have to reboot it to get it to come back... any clues as to why that is happening?

the 2nd core needs to be activated with any CPU tweaker. i use Android Tuner Pro, gives LOTS of options that have sped up my phone. also a free version.

there isnt any CWM or TWRP or any custom recoveries at all yet, which is why i was making the request. also (as you could imagine) no roms.

Google Experience Launcher isnt gonna work on this phone. tried myself, ended up locking up the phone and had to restore and reroot to be able to use it again. i use Nova Launcher. best there is in my opinion. Apex was pretty amazing too, but hogged a little too much memory.

My wifi keeps turning itself on even after i turn it off. i dont have wifi except at work so its useless to me. dunno why that is. did you get the Application Enhancement update? dont know what it was really for, but it went through anyway.

gtd2000

Dec 16, 2011
Galashiels
I also just rooted with Cydia Impactor.

This is a great little phone for $20!!!

If only it could be unlocked to use on networks other than VM :D

I'm just using it as a media device for now - use it to control my MK808B, Magic Jack calls, Skype etc.

Seems more than fast enough for me and it got around 4900 in Quadrant and 13700 in Antutu.

dragonhart6505

Jun 20, 2010
Reading, PA
I also just rooted with Cydia Impactor.

This is a great little phone for $20!!!

If only it could be unlocked to use on networks other than VM :D

I'm just using it as a media device for now - use it to control my MK808B, Magic Jack calls, Skype etc.

Seems more than fast enough for me and it got around 4900 in Quadrant and 13700 in Antutu.

Ive reached over 5300 a time or too. There may be a way of getting it on Boost Mobile, as I have obtained my MSL using MEID Converter from the Play Store quite easily. ZTE is really stingy with their source for the kernel, even though it is hosted on their site. Maybe someone can snag it and work with it. I'm not much of a programmer and dont understand a lot of the framework. I only customize, flash roms, test and unlock/flash to different carriers where available. I'm trying to learn how to build for the GSIII, but so far I'm just getting headaches lol. Id be more than willing to put my device up for testing anything if someone could come up with something. As it is its still an awesome piece of hardware!

dragonhart6505

Jun 20, 2010
Reading, PA
actually there is a cwm now. over at androidforums

Sent from my ZTE N9100 using Tapatalk 2

I am completely confused. The only thread I could find doesnt mention what phone hes working on til way down the thread, then says hes working on it for the warp, then he found the kernel source for a "similar" phone the awe n800, and never again mentions which device the recovery is for.

dragonhart6505

Jun 20, 2010
Reading, PA
androidforums.com, zte awe section, all things root subsection, cwm for the awe is there

Apparently google wasnt my friend today>_< more than likely gonna wait to see if they make any progress with the kernel and custom roms until I flash it though. Easy enough to just unroot if for whatever reason I have to replace it. Sure wish there was an MSL get for the Galaxy SIII S960L to try an flash my service over. 4g VM would be lovely, but I love the Awe so far.
Also working on those videos I was talking about in the OP. Editing them down now, taking longer than I anticipated. SCR Screen Recorder Pro caused some major slowdown as I expected but it was really exciting to see the potential this device has!

Last edited:

dragonhart6505

Jun 20, 2010
Reading, PA
So ive checked out the All Things Root section on androidforums and they have a working OC kernel! Amazing how fast this got out. Gonna try it out for myself and rerecord my videos using it if possible. Hopefully CM team comes up with something soon. Would LOVE to see 4.4 on this device. FINGERS CROSSED!!!

Junkie2100

Mar 10, 2010
cm themselves wouldnt touch that phone with a ten foot pole. but hopefully youll get an unofficial eventually. as far as the kernel not fpashing i dunno, i dont have the device...

dragonhart6505

Jun 20, 2010
Reading, PA
cm themselves wouldnt touch that phone with a ten foot pole. but hopefully youll get an unofficial eventually. as far as the kernel not fpashing i dunno, i dont have the device...

Theyre working on the kernel. Script was wrong, now one of is testing is bootlooped without a backup. It really is sounding promising though, supposed OC to 1.9+ ghz with GPU OC on top of that!

dragonhart6505

Jun 20, 2010
Reading, PA
oh! it was set to the wront partition wasnt it?

A typo I believe. We have a stock backup kernel now though so hell be alright. Its going quickly, really hope we have something by the end of the night at least as a base. No rush though. Will keep this thread updated for anyone keeping watch. If anyone wants to help, http://www.androidforums.com/awe-all-things-root

gtd2000

Dec 16, 2011
Galashiels
So I ran MEID Converter to my rooted Awe and now have the SPC number.

Just before the number it lists MetroPCS?

My question is why does it say MetroPCS and what do I now do with the SPC number?

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 PM ----------

OK I've now followed this instruction:

To verify, dial ##3424#

After inputting the SPC/MSL number I get a PORT menu...:eek:

Option 1. Port set @ OFF ---> OFF or ON or MTP+DIAG selections

Option 2. NDIS set @ Disable ---> ENABLE or DISABLE selections

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Edit: Overclock achieved! Quadrant score from my own most recent test at 1.94ghz performance on both cores. Was getting higher scores but I got too much crap on my phone >_< Check out http://www.androidforums.com/awe-all-things-root for the tut and test for yourself!:good::good::good:

Credits to rbheromax (sorry i forgot you bro!), cooldudezach and junkie2100 for their work, me and zeruth helped test. Here's to whatever comes next!
    To above last paragraph, disable network optimization.

Hmmm....