Question about GPS

Search This thread

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
I was about to pull the trigger on the XZ Premium but Notebookcheck's review mentioned that the GPS is slow, unable to lock indoors, inaccurate and falls behind a number of devices:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-Xperia-XZ-Premium-Smartphone-Review.234822.0.html

As GPS performance is very important to me, I wanted to ask users how their GPS has been and if it exhibits any of the issues mentioned in the review.

Thanks.

denkem

Aug 14, 2014
Prague
I was about to pull the trigger on the XZ Premium but Notebookcheck's review mentioned that the GPS is slow, unable to lock indoors, inaccurate and falls behind a number of devices:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Sony-Xperia-XZ-Premium-Smartphone-Review.234822.0.html

As GPS performance is very important to me, I wanted to ask users how their GPS has been and if it exhibits any of the issues mentioned in the review.

Thanks.
Haven't experienced any GPS issues. Lock is within seconds. Distance with XZP as navigation - 2600 km (EU). Screenshot has been taken on my terrace, in car accuracy is even better.
1500553018421.jpg

Reactions: omersak

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
Haven't experienced any GPS issues. Lock is within seconds. Distance with XZP as navigation - 2600 km (EU). Screenshot has been taken on my terrace, in car accuracy is even better.
View attachment 4217912

Can't complain about GPS. Most he time I have an accuracy of ~7m which is fine to me.

Thanks for the heads up guys. As I suspected, it seems like there were some issues with Notebookchecks review unit.

Are you able to get a stable lock indoors within a reasonable time?

denkem

Aug 14, 2014
Prague
Well, when I use GPS Test app it is able to "see" 24 satellites, but only 2-7 are used (I live in duplex apt). But when I open Google Maps it shows exact position tho (Locations set to High Accuracy).

admad

Dec 27, 2010
I've had intermittent issue with the GPS on my XZP. 90% of the time it's fine but every now and then it won't lock and Google maps doesn't work which makes navigation terrible.

Same issues here. Generally GPS is fine, however, sometimes when the phone has been running for a while, the GPS fails miserably, it's simply not working. Rebooting the phone fixes the issue, but still, something wrong with the software.

Had this GPS issue 3 times now in 6 weeks of usage.

denkem

Aug 14, 2014
Prague
That's weird. I have never experienced such an issue (the longest distance was about 850 km in 9 hours and it never stopped working). Could it be because I excluded sygic, waze, gps status & toolbox and Location services from battery optimization?

Last edited:

jaseman

Aug 27, 2012
Spring
That's weird. I have never experienced such an issue (the longest distance was about 850 km in 9 hours and it never stopped working). Could it be because I excluded sygic, waze, gps status & toolbox and Location services from battery optimization?

That may be the reason. I have been concerned about battery optimization as well as automatic clearing of the cache. I just am not convinced that letting the OS do such things automatically is the best thing to do. I have had no issues with GPS on this phone at all... so far.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks.
    1500553018421.jpg
    Can't complain about GPS. Most he time I have an accuracy of ~7m which is fine to me.
    Well, when I use GPS Test app it is able to "see" 24 satellites, but only 2-7 are used (I live in duplex apt). But when I open Google Maps it shows exact position tho (Locations set to High Accuracy).
    Had mine around a week, lots of Waze use and no issues at all, and I would say its faster than my old S6
    Here is a screenshot - sofa, close to window (and there is 2 meters wide balcony above me). 1500557838958.jpg
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone