• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Question about rooting my 8T KB2005 on OOS 11.0.8.13.KB05AA

Search This thread

joo14

May 7, 2013
Hello all,

I installed the latest update for my 8T KB2005 which is 11.0.8.13.KB05AA. I have unlocked the bootloader and would like to root it, however I'm not sure if it is possible to root from my current firmware version. Some root methods I read about say I need the stock image of my OS, but I believe my current firmware version is an incremental update and that will not work? I read it's possible to use payload dumper to get my image, but this doesn't work with incremental updates either. Maybe I am misunderstanding things. If someone could enlighten me, that would be greatly appreciated. Is is possible to root from my current firmware?

*Update: upon researching further, one possible solutions seems to be using the MSM tool to downgrade to an older version of OOS, then locally upgrading to 11.0.8.11.KB05AA, and then being my root process from there. I will attempt this, but if anyone knows if a root method from 11.0.8.13.KB05AA. I would like to know as well

Last edited:

BillGoss

Sep 2, 2010
Sydney
OnePlus 3T
OnePlus 8T
Hello all,

I installed the latest update for my 8T KB2005 which is 11.0.8.13.KB05AA. I have unlocked the bootloader and would like to root it, however I'm not sure if it is possible to root from my current firmware version. Some root methods I read about say I need the stock image of my OS, but I believe my current firmware version is an incremental update and that will not work? I read it's possible to use payload dumper to get my image, but this doesn't work with incremental updates either. Maybe I am misunderstanding things. If someone could enlighten me, that would be greatly appreciated. Is is possible to root from my current firmware?

*Update: upon researching further, one possible solutions seems to be using the MSM tool to downgrade to an older version of OOS, then locally upgrading to 11.0.8.11.KB05AA, and then being my root process from there. I will attempt this, but if anyone knows if a root method from 11.0.8.13.KB05AA. I would like to know as well
You don't need to use the MSM route. It's far simpler to patch the stock boot or use a patched stock boot.

@g96818 had kindly posted the boot image(s) you need in thread '[Guide] How to ROOT OnePlus8T (CN/IN/EU/US) KB2000,KB2001,KB2003,KB2005' https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...00-kb2001-kb2003-kb2005.4178675/post-85165277

joo14

May 7, 2013
simple root instructions using the patched image I posted:
Hi g96818 Thank you for posting the 11.0.8.13 stock boot.img I was able to patch it in magisk and successfully root my phone! Thank you everyone for your fast responses. It was very much appreciated

Reactions: g96818

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all,

You don't need to use the MSM route. It's far simpler to patch the stock boot or use a patched stock boot.

@g96818 had kindly posted the boot image(s) you need in thread '[Guide] How to ROOT OnePlus8T (CN/IN/EU/US) KB2000,KB2001,KB2003,KB2005' https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...00-kb2001-kb2003-kb2005.4178675/post-85165277
    You can only do that if the phone is rooted. You need root access to pull a boot image from /dev/block/by-name/boot_[ab].
    In a non root situation you can boot the semi working twrp posted here somewhere which gives a root adb shell via usb.
    Its possible to use adb to pull the boot image and patch it in magisk. Then you use fastboot to boot from that image( not flash) and do direct install from magisk.
    Its possible to use adb to pull the boot image and patch it in magisk. Then you use fastboot to boot from that image( not flash) and do direct install from magisk.
    You can only do that if the phone is rooted. You need root access to pull a boot image from /dev/block/by-name/boot_[ab].
    simple root instructions using the patched image I posted: