• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question about screen protector and squeeze feature?

Search This thread

dberthia

Apr 6, 2011
That's actually a good question- I hadn't really thought about it. Hopefully there won't be any issue with the screen protectors. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

jimistixx

Jun 30, 2010
You are squeezing the sides of the phone and not actually compacting the screen, so there should be no issue.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using XDA Labs

abogrhen

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
OnePlus 6
Yet Google made the screen of plastic not glass?

the only way to really know is to wait for someone to test it
BUT
this is the first time i heard that screen is plastic
what i know that it is gorilla glass 5 from their website and from other websites
https://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_2_xl-8720.php

(DISPLAY Type P-OLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
Size 6.0 inches, 92.6 cm2 (~76.4% screen-to-body ratio)
Resolution 1440 x 2880 pixels, 18:9 ratio (~538 ppi density)
Multitouch Yes
Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Always-on display
- 100% DCI-P3 coverage)

abogrhen

Jul 10, 2012
Google Pixel 2 XL
OnePlus 6
i know that the inside where made of plastic
but the touchscreen in the outside are made of glass (the digitizer)
so glass on top of a plastic (they get thinner panel this way )

OH right the HTC U11 have lcd glass screen in the first place
maybe you can ask in there form if anyone have a problem in the squeeze with glass and screen protector

Reactions: jimistixx

jt3

Aug 13, 2007
Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you actually squeeze the body of the phone, meaning, the sides don't actually compress. What you're doing by squeezing the phone is really squeezing your fingertips (and the base of your palm area), so that your skin makes contact with more of the extreme edges of the screen. It's very slight, but enough to activate the sensitive touch areas there. When the phone sees a whole bunch of "touch" along the sides of the screen, it sees that as a squeeze. So, you don't have to worry about a case cracking under the pressure. However, if this really is how it works, then any case with screen-overlap may interfere with activation of squeeze command. Ditto with screen protectors.

As for the P in P-OLED. That refers to the substrate, which is the base to which all of the electronic bits are connected. Plastic allows this substrate to be thinner and more flexible. The outer surface may be, and often is, still made of glass (in this case, Gorilla Glass 5). P-OLED isn't typically used to make the body of the phone more damage resistant (although it certainly can be). It's used to make the screen a tiny bit lighter and thinner, allowing more room for other internal pieces (such as a slightly larger battery).

stumpy352

Sep 20, 2011
Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you actually squeeze the body of the phone, meaning, the sides don't actually compress. What you're doing by squeezing the phone is really squeezing your fingertips (and the base of your palm area), so that your skin makes contact with more of the extreme edges of the screen. It's very slight, but enough to activate the sensitive touch areas there. When the phone sees a whole bunch of "touch" along the sides of the screen, it sees that as a squeeze. So, you don't have to worry about a case cracking under the pressure. However, if this really is how it works, then any case with screen-overlap may interfere with activation of squeeze command. Ditto with screen protectors.

As for the P in P-OLED. That refers to the substrate, which is the base to which all of the electronic bits are connected. Plastic allows this substrate to be thinner and more flexible. The outer surface may be, and often is, still made of glass (in this case, Gorilla Glass 5). P-OLED isn't typically used to make the body of the phone more damage resistant (although it certainly can be). It's used to make the screen a tiny bit lighter and thinner, allowing more room for other internal pieces (such as a slightly larger battery).
Sorry I have to correct you here. The squeeze gesture is picked up by 2 rows of sensors inside the edges of the frame. It has nothing to do with the screen.

Jerryrigeverything did a teardown on the HTC u11 which uses the same tech. So, that section of the frame edge is actually mobile to a degree. It also compromised rigidity and failed his bend test.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i know that the inside where made of plastic
    but the touchscreen in the outside are made of glass (the digitizer)
    so glass on top of a plastic (they get thinner panel this way )

OH right the HTC U11 have lcd glass screen in the first place
    maybe you can ask in there form if anyone have a problem in the squeeze with glass and screen protector