• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Question Regarding Bootloader Unlock/Relock For ASUS ROG Phone 5/5s?

Search This thread

falhumai96

Jun 26, 2017
Quick question regarding ASUS ROG Phone 5/5s? If you unlock the bootloader using the official unlock app, and then relock the bootloader again, can you use the app again to unlock?

I've read online that once you relock your bootloader you can kiss the root/bootloader unlock goodbye. I just want to confirm from ASUS ROG Phone 5/5s users whether or not this is the case.

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Nexus 6P
Huawei Mate 20 X
Quick question regarding ASUS ROG Phone 5/5s? If you unlock the bootloader using the official unlock app, and then relock the bootloader again, can you use the app again to unlock?

I've read online that once you relock your bootloader you can kiss the root/bootloader unlock goodbye. I just want to confirm from ASUS ROG Phone 5/5s users whether or not this is the case.

If your device is a native WW version (i.e not CN or CN>WW converted), from my actual experience, you can lock/unlock it as many times as you want - I've done that at least a handful times or so on an original WW 5 device.

I can not speak for CN, converted and S models however - users here claim you're done for life once you re-lock one of those, so I'd be careful.

falhumai96

Jun 26, 2017
If your device is a native WW version (i.e not CN or CN>WW converted), from my actual experience, you can lock/unlock it as many times as you want - I've done that at least a handful times or so on an original WW 5 device.

I can not speak for CN, converted and S models however - users here claim you're done for life once you re-lock one of those, so I'd be careful.
Can we say the same thing about the US version as well?

falhumai96

Jun 26, 2017

Also, what about the warning in this post: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...ootloader-root-your-device-read-this.4258227/ ?

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Nexus 6P
Huawei Mate 20 X

Same. Most of these users must own/refer to devices that have been converted to WW and then re-locked. If you get an original Global model that's not a CN/Tencent knock-off, you should be OK and highly recommended anyway.

The blanket notion that ASUS only allow users to unlock 1 time as stated in a couple of posts in forums is not correct in the case of original Global devices from my experience. I even confirmed that with ASUS before they did a complete firmware rebuild on mine once. Re-locked/unlocked multiple times using the ASUS app, zero issues. - Again, I can't speak for Pro/Ultimate/S models and I've never had a CN/Tencent model in my hand, I had the normal original WW/Global model while I still had this device.

Either way, I don't know why you wanna unlock/re-lock it. Best to unlock it and leave it alone...

falhumai96

Jun 26, 2017
Same. Most of these users must own/refer to devices that have been converted to WW and then re-locked. If you get an original Global model that's not a CN/Tencent knock-off, you should be OK and highly recommended anyway.

The blanket notion that ASUS only allow users to unlock 1 time as stated in a couple of posts in forums is not correct in the case of original Global devices from my experience. I even confirmed that with ASUS before they did a complete firmware rebuild on mine once. Re-locked/unlocked multiple times using the ASUS app, zero issues. - Again, I can't speak for Pro/Ultimate/S models and I've never had a CN/Tencent model in my hand, I had the normal original WW/Global model while I still had this device.

Either way, I don't know why you wanna unlock/re-lock it. Best to unlock it and leave it alone...
What about the US version? The global version (EU) is different from the US version, but I personally believe it would be the same story as with global version (EU), but I just want to confirm.

Andrologic

Apr 29, 2016
Huawei Nexus 6P
Huawei Mate 20 X
What about the US version? The global version (EU) is different from the US version, but I personally believe it would be the same story as with global version (EU), but I just want to confirm.
I too would expect there is no difference between the Global versions with respect to the bootloader lock but I don't want to guess something I haven't verified - Maybe someone here with an original Global-US version can confirm...

lony1001

Nov 28, 2021
Sokat keresgéltem mire megtaláltam és tapasztalatból segített, a megfelelő driver és a megfelelő usb kábel, illetve az Asus Rogphone 5 oldalsó usb-je csak az adb driverre reagál, ez a videó mentve van, ajánlom megnézni 15:25-től relock bootloader, és nekem is hibátlanul sikerült, kövessetek részletesen, hogy minden megtörténjen!!!
I searched a lot by the time I found it and it helped from experience, the right driver and the right usb cable and the Asus Rogphone 5 side usb only responds to the adb driver, this video is saved, I recommend watching it from 15:25 relock bootloader and me also succeeded flawlessly, follow me in detail to make it all happen !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

falhumai96

Jun 26, 2017
Sokat keresgéltem mire megtaláltam és tapasztalatból segített, a megfelelő driver és a megfelelő usb kábel, illetve az Asus Rogphone 5 oldalsó usb-je csak az adb driverre reagál, ez a videó mentve van, ajánlom megnézni 15:25-től relock bootloader, és nekem is hibátlanul sikerült, kövessetek részletesen, hogy minden megtörténjen!!!

Thank you for your reply. I am not looking for the Tencent version, and my question is not about how to relock, but rather if I can unlock again after relocking.

falhumai96

Jun 26, 2017
@Andrologic to add more proof to ur claim, I've talked to the US store's customer service agent about this specific issue, and it matches your claim. Here's the chat discussion screenshot (only the relevant part is screenshotted):

signal-2021-11-29-11-03-09-473.jpg

He said I should be able to use the app more than once. I have the case number and I will follow up with him again regarding this question, but I believe it still works. The warning in the other XDA form post is because people locked the bootloader on a not-supported ROM (e.g. global ROM on CN version), which confused the app. If they locked it on a CN ROM, I believe the app would still work.

I will follow up more regarding this issue. Thank you again @Andrologic with your confirmation on the global (EU version) "Unlock Device App" unlock after relock issue.

Reactions: Andrologic
Before we go posting this into every warning thread about locking and unlocking a bootloader as hard fact, let's remember a few things...

One is that this has only been confirmed in practice on one or two native WW devices, so it should still be done with caution.

Another is that the inability to unlock a second time has been confirmed on a handful of Tencent devices, so it can more or less be assumed it doesn't apply there.

The last is that you are getting confirmation from Asus chat support. If I had a nickel for every time one of those agents agreed with whatever I said and later found out it wasn't true, I could buy China.

You should still use caution and it may only be possible on native WW devices. Let's not go spreading the rumor that a "proper" conversion or sticking to the CN ROM allows multiple unlocks on Tencent, especially in threads where someone else has to deal with the consequences of it being speculation.

Reactions: falhumai96

johnny886

Sep 21, 2018

Both the Tencent version and the global version can be unlocked multiple times, please see here.

• Love

falhumai96

Jun 26, 2017
Both the Tencent version and the global version can be unlocked multiple times, please see here.
@johnny886 You are amazing! Can you pin your post above in the ASUS ROG Phone 5S forum so that it is a reference to the folks who are struggling to open their bootloaders?

Now, this post really confirms my decision of getting this phone. I was deciding between Pixel 6 Pro and ASUS ROG Phone 5S. Both phones can be rooted. Both phones have North American variant with the almost perfect network coverage, as well as having dual sim (I am looking for network bands 4, 7, 13, 66, and 71 for Freedom Mobile here in Canada). ASUS ROG Phone 5S has better value per money tbh. Better processor on benchmark. More storage on the base one. Lastly, it comes with a whopping 65W charger in the box (while Pixel 6 Pro u need to buy it separately and it is also only 30W), and the battery is just better. The only thing I will be missing here is the wireless charger, but tbh, it's such a gimmick feature to worry about.

Also, one thing I forgot, it is better to get a Qualcomm device rather than a new foreign COU like Tensor chip, because at least we know how to get into EDL mode and unbrick.

johnny886

Sep 21, 2018
@johnny886 You are amazing! Can you pin your post above in the ASUS ROG Phone 5S forum so that it is a reference to the folks who are struggling to open their bootloaders?

Now, this post really confirms my decision of getting this phone. I was deciding between Pixel 6 Pro and ASUS ROG Phone 5S. Both phones can be rooted. Both phones have North American variant with the almost perfect network coverage, as well as having dual sim (I am looking for network bands 4, 7, 13, 66, and 71 for Freedom Mobile here in Canada). ASUS ROG Phone 5S has better value per money tbh. Better processor on benchmark. More storage on the base one. Lastly, it comes with a whopping 65W charger in the box (while Pixel 6 Pro u need to buy it separately and it is also only 30W), and the battery is just better. The only thing I will be missing here is the wireless charger, but tbh, it's such a gimmick feature to worry about.

Also, one thing I forgot, it is better to get a Qualcomm device rather than a new foreign COU like Tensor chip, because at least we know how to get into EDL mode and unbrick.
Google Pixel 6 These two phones are not worth buying. I tested the Pixel 6 Pro and the experience is very poor. You can choose a better one. Tensor Soc is modified by Google based on Samsung exynos, and the measured experience is not as good as Qualcomm Snapdragon 888plus.

Only moderators can pin posts, but it was added to the index of useful posts that is currently pinned. The sad reality is that most people tend to overlook the pinned posts anyway.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Andrologic to add more proof to ur claim, I've talked to the US store's customer service agent about this specific issue, and it matches your claim. Here's the chat discussion screenshot (only the relevant part is screenshotted):

signal-2021-11-29-11-03-09-473.jpg

He said I should be able to use the app more than once. I have the case number and I will follow up with him again regarding this question, but I believe it still works. The warning in the other XDA form post is because people locked the bootloader on a not-supported ROM (e.g. global ROM on CN version), which confused the app. If they locked it on a CN ROM, I believe the app would still work.

I will follow up more regarding this issue. Thank you again @Andrologic with your confirmation on the global (EU version) "Unlock Device App" unlock after relock issue.
    Before we go posting this into every warning thread about locking and unlocking a bootloader as hard fact, let's remember a few things...

One is that this has only been confirmed in practice on one or two native WW devices, so it should still be done with caution.

Another is that the inability to unlock a second time has been confirmed on a handful of Tencent devices, so it can more or less be assumed it doesn't apply there.

The last is that you are getting confirmation from Asus chat support. If I had a nickel for every time one of those agents agreed with whatever I said and later found out it wasn't true, I could buy China.

You should still use caution and it may only be possible on native WW devices. Let's not go spreading the rumor that a "proper" conversion or sticking to the CN ROM allows multiple unlocks on Tencent, especially in threads where someone else has to deal with the consequences of it being speculation.

Only moderators can pin posts, but it was added to the index of useful posts that is currently pinned. The sad reality is that most people tend to overlook the pinned posts anyway.