• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Question] YT Vanced shown you are offline message

Search This thread

NaAZoOR

Apr 27, 2012
Cairo
I installed YT Vanced with microG on Xiaomi K20 Pro (xiaomi.eu Rom) via vanced manager.

It worked for a day then it always shows you are offline message.

Uninstalled them then reinstalled them.
Worked for a few hours then offline message returned.

Donnow what's the problem.

Any suggestions to solve this issue?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
I installed YT Vanced with microG on Xiaomi K20 Pro (xiaomi.eu Rom) via vanced manager.

It worked for a day then it always shows you are offline message.

Uninstalled them then reinstalled them.
Worked for a few hours then offline message returned.

Donnow what's the problem.

Any suggestions to solve this issue?
Did you search on XDA for the dedicated Vanced YT thread (not related to any particular phone). AFAIK, people reported various problems with microG (things may highly depend on the ROMs).
Probably MIUI breaks the MicroG connection (you may try to disable Battery Optimization for MicroG, not sure would it help)

Btw, you can easily install Magisk and then the root Vanced YT

Mi 9T (not Pro) on my side, Xiaomi eu Stable, using the root Vanced YT with no issues

NaAZoOR

Apr 27, 2012
Cairo
Did you search on XDA for the dedicated Vanced YT thread (not related to any particular phone). AFAIK, people reported various problems with microG (things may highly depend on the ROMs).
Probably MIUI breaks the MicroG connection (you may try to disable Battery Optimization for MicroG, not sure would it help)

Btw, you can easily install Magisk and then the root Vanced YT

Mi 9T (not Pro) on my side, Xiaomi eu Stable, using the root Vanced YT with no issues
I Already disables battery optimization for MicroG.
I Don't want to root the mobile. not sure that rooting will keep me receiving updates for stable rom from Xiaomi.eu

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
I Don't want to root the mobile. not sure that rooting will keep me receiving updates for stable rom from Xiaomi.eu
Rooting has nothing with preventing Xiaomi.eu updates.
I used Magisk for 6-7 months with Weeklies - updating them every week, and recently similarly updated my Stable.

You receive the notification, let it dowmload and reboot (or you download manually), it boots to TWRP and flashes the new ROM

Only that you loose root for the moment because the ROM updates your old, patched (by Magisk) boot.img with the new one, unpatched

You install Magisk again and continue with your previously used modules, root apps, everything.
(You must only be careful if using e.g. Smali Patcher module or similar that was created for a particular framework version, and when ROM updates it would update the framework causing incompatibilty and brick - disable/uninstall that module before updating)

I just keep the Magisk app, once I update the ROM I exteact and patch the new boot.img, reboot to TWRP, flash the newly patched boot img, and continue with the updated ROM + Magisk.
(You can even prepare the Magisk patched that new boot.img before rebooting to TWRP for updting the ROM, and immediately upon flashing the new ROM and before rebooting, to flash also the new, patched boot img - then you already reboot to the updated ROM by immediately having the Magisk again)

Besides - there is no magic or place for fear here. Magisk by ittself by no means interfere with Xiaomi.eu updating and its 'OTA' system. However, you must not install some suspicius modules that would rename your phone model to something else - then (and only then) it could prevent recieving the notifications (similarly if you 'debloat' System Updater or if you block the site it needs for periodically checking for system update)

Otherwise, again, Magisk is in boot.img, while Xiaomi.eu requires custom nRecovery for updating - hence one totally independent to another. And the new ROM zip contains the new boot.img that will flash over your old one, no matter was your old boot.img patched with Magisk or not

Suggesting you to read the Xiaomi.eu forum to see how many users use Magisk (and novody ever reported a problem that Magisk itself prevented or messed up with OTA)

Last edited:
Reactions: NaAZoOR

NaAZoOR

Apr 27, 2012
Cairo
I used that for 6-7 months with Weeklies and recently updated Stable.

You receive the notification, let it dowmload and reboot (or you download manually), it boots to TWRP and flashes the new ROM.

Only that you loose root for the moment because the ROM updates your old, patched (by Magisk) boot.img with the new one, unpatched

You install Magisk again and continue with your previously used modules, root apps, everything.
(you must only be careful if using e.g. Smali Patcher modules or similar that were created for a particular e.g. framework version, and when ROM updates it would update the framework)

I just keep the Magisk app, once I update the ROM I exteact and patch the new boot.img, reboot to TWRP, flash the newly patched boot img, and continue with the updated ROM + Magisk.
(you can even prepare the Magisk patched that new boot.img before rebooting to TWRP for updting the ROM, and immediately upon flshing the new ROM and before rebooting, to flash also the new, patched boot img - then you slready reboot to the updated ROM with Magisk

Besides - there is no magic or place for fear here. Magisk b ittself by no means interfere with Xiaomi.eu updating and its 'OTA' system. However, you must not install some suspicius modules that would rename your phone model to something else - then (and only then) it can prevent recieving the notifications (similarly if you 'debloat' System Updater or if you [by AdAway] block the site it needs for periodically checking for system update)

Otherwise, again, Magisk is in boot.img, while Xiaomi.eu requires custom nRecovery for updating - hence one independent to another. And the new ROM zip contains the new boot.img that will flash over your old one, no matter was your old boot.img patched with Magisk or not

Suggesting you to read the Xiaomi.eu forum to see how many users use Magisk (and novody ever reported a problem that Magisk itself prevented or messed up with OTA)
thank you for detailed reply, highly appreciated.

i don't need to install any modules, i don't need root.

i just need YT Vanced to work without getting you are offline message.
does rooting solve this issue?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
thank you for detailed reply, highly appreciated.

i don't need to install any modules, i don't need root.

i just need YT Vanced to work without getting you are offline message.
does rooting solve this issue?
Vanced root does not install and use MicroG. It actully works the following way:
- It installs the particular version of YT (16.29.39 for the time being)
Therefore, if you already have a newer YT, you must uninstall that newer first
- YT gets installed as the so-called split/bundle app, meaning that YT is not a single apk file but a bundle of them (split to language, display resolution, ARM architecture etc specifics component apks)
- Vanced Manager then 'replaces" the official YT base.apk, one of those split apks (actually makes the Magisk to mount it over the official YT base.apk, on every reboot)
- You must make sure that Google Play never updates YT because you would loose the Vanced YT (by blocking Automatic updates for YT in Google Play or better by so called detaching YT from Google Play - Google Play would not know that the old YT 16.29.39 is installed and would not bother to update)

That's the difference between root and non-root Vanced.
Without root, Vanced cannot replace the required part of the official YT app with their patched version.
Instead, non-root comes as a completely independent app (having also the different package name), hence you can in parallel have both the non-root Vanced YT and the official YT apps installed.
But because of all the non-root Vanced YT needs its own mechanism to login to your YouTube account - and for that it requires MicroG.
For the troubles with MicroG some users use particular older versions of MicroG and similar tricks - I don't use non-root and cannot advise you in that direction. You can read more in the XDA dedicated Vanced thread

In short, root Vanced uses the same mechanism for login and connection to YT server. Do you have disconnections with the official YT - not, hence should not have with the Vanced root either

Last edited:

NaAZoOR

Apr 27, 2012
Cairo
Vanced root does not install and use MicroG. It actully works the following way:
- It installs the particular version of YT (16.29.39 for the time being)
Therefore, if you already have a newer YT, you must uninstall that newer first
- YT gets installed as the so-called split/bundle app, meaning that YT is not a single apk file but a bundle of them (split to language, display resolution, ARM architecture etc specifics component apks)
- Vanced Manager then 'replaces" the official YT base.apk, one of those split apks (actually makes the Magisk to mount it over the official YT base.apk, on every reboot)
- You must make sure that Google Play never updates YT because you would loose the Vanced YT (by blocking Automatic updates for YT in Google Play or better by do called detaching YT from Google Play - Google Play would not know that the old YT 16.29.39 is installed and would not bother to update)

That's the difference between root and non-root Vanced.
Without root Vanced cannot replace the required part of the official YT app with their patched version.
Instead, non-root comes as a completely independent app (having also the different package name), hence you can in parallel have installed both the non-root Vanced YT and the official YT apps.
But because of that non-root Vanced YT needs a separated mechanism to login to your YouTube account - and for that it requires MicroG.
For the troubles with MicroG some users use particular older versions of MicroG and similar tricks - I don't use non-root and cannot advise you in that direction. You can read more in the XDA dedicated Vanced thread

In short, root Vanced uses the same mechanism for login and connection to YT server. Do you have disconnections with the official YT - not, hence should not have with the Vanced root either
Excellent explanation
Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I used Magisk for 6-7 months with Weeklies - updating them every week, and recently similarly updated my Stable.

You receive the notification, let it dowmload and reboot (or you download manually), it boots to TWRP and flashes the new ROM

(You must only be careful if using e.g. Smali Patcher module or similar that was created for a particular framework version, and when ROM updates it would update the framework causing incompatibilty and brick - disable/uninstall that module before updating)

(You can even prepare the Magisk patched that new boot.img before rebooting to TWRP for updting the ROM, and immediately upon flashing the new ROM and before rebooting, to flash also the new, patched boot img - then you already reboot to the updated ROM by immediately having the Magisk again)

Besides - there is no magic or place for fear here. Magisk by ittself by no means interfere with Xiaomi.eu updating and its 'OTA' system. However, you must not install some suspicius modules that would rename your phone model to something else - then (and only then) it could prevent recieving the notifications (similarly if you 'debloat' System Updater or if you block the site it needs for periodically checking for system update)

Otherwise, again, Magisk is in boot.img, while Xiaomi.eu requires custom nRecovery for updating - hence one totally independent to another. And the new ROM zip contains the new boot.img that will flash over your old one, no matter was your old boot.img patched with Magisk or not