• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Questions about a rooted Pixel 3

Search This thread
Hi everyone, I have some questions about rooted Pixel 3, right now I'm deciding whether to root Pixel 3 as I am trying to do some debugging with apps with proxies, but so far I haven't done it yet as I'm afraid of losing Widevine L1 certification, and has anyone rooted the Pixel 3 here atm? Have you been able to retain Widevine L1 certification or do you lose it and you just default to L3?

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Hi everyone, I have some questions about rooted Pixel 3, right now I'm deciding whether to root Pixel 3 as I am trying to do some debugging with apps with proxies, but so far I haven't done it yet as I'm afraid of losing Widevine L1 certification, and has anyone rooted the Pixel 3 here atm? Have you been able to retain Widevine L1 certification or do you lose it and you just default to L3?

Surprisingly, looks like it does maintain L1. Don't have netflix etc so can't test if it will pass their other checks but...

Screenshot_20210731-033517_Trebuchet.png

Screenshot_20210731-033528_Trebuchet.png

AsItLies

Nov 4, 2009
tucson
Google Pixel 3
Are you using the Android 11 rote method to root yours?
I'm not sure what the 'Android 11 root method' is? I have magisk patched boot image (I patched the recovery image with magisk apk), and flashed it to boot partition.

But just found out a better way to accomplish it, and do some additional stuff. Take the magisk apk and change the extension to zip. Then with LOS recovery, do adb sideload of the newly named zip. Not only does that patch the boot image it also adds some needed scripts to addon.d (in system). The added magisk script makes it possible to do an OTA update and keep magisk etc.

cheers

Should have clarified, if the output above isn't obvious, I'm on Lineage 18.1.

Last edited: